Fun Fast Frameset For Around A Grand

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited June 2017 in Road general
Hi

I currently have 2 bikes which are both "endurance" geometry and I'm looking to build up a third and I don't want more of the same. I'm fitter, more flexible and a better rider than I was when I bought my existing bikes so I fancy something a bit different. I'm looking to build a bike which will go on the turbo in the Winter and will be used for 10-mile TTs and shorter, faster rides in the Spring/Summer. I'm open to the idea of an aero frame but the most important things are that it's a fast/fun bike and, ideally, that it looks good

I'd be happy to spend around a grand on the frameset, does anybody have any recommendations

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Most latest CAAD you can find.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Most latest CAAD you can find.

CAAD12 my choice too. I prefer riding mine than the Super6. Also Canyon Ultimate AL a great frame, cheaper but a little harsher ride than the CAAD12
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    You might want to move this to the Road Buying Advice area but I'm guessing you've seen these:

http://road.cc/content/review/222693-bo ... adset-2017

Under your budget (and I find the love in reviews for Bowman a little too glowing somehow!) but might fit the bill.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    fatdaz wrote:
    ... I'm looking to build a bike which will go on the turbo in the Winter and will be used for 10-mile TTs and shorter, faster rides in the Spring/Summer. I'm open to the idea of an aero frame but the most important things are that it's a fast/fun bike and, least importantly, that it looks good...

Cheers
    FTFY, if that will be your chosen uses.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    You might want to move this to the Road Buying Advice area but I'm guessing you've seen these:

http://road.cc/content/review/222693-bo ... adset-2017

Under your budget (and I find the love in reviews for Bowman a little too glowing somehow!) but might fit the bill.

I wish I hadn't seen this. Bollox.

Where's my cheque book? I need one now in that colour scheme. It's gorgeous. Basically the same as 3 of my existing bikes, but it's stunning.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fatdaz
    I'd never heard of the Bowman but it's currently winning I think
  • Matthewfalle
    fatdaz wrote:
    I'd never heard of the Bowman but it's currently winning I think

They've been around for three or four years - first Palace was lovely and got glowing reviews as well.

Beating the CAAD on looks with that thing there, see.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Bowman have just had a delivery of frames (my Palace R arrived on Friday). Currently building it up with the aim of completing it this coming weekend.

Pete
  • Matthewfalle
    peteco wrote:
    Bowman have just had a delivery of frames (my Palace R arrived on Friday). Currently building it up with the aim of completing it this coming weekend.

Pete

NEEEEEEEED PICTURES NOW.

What spec?

PICTURES!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    PX will do you a TT bike for under a grand. Halfords have a Boardman TT too for your budget.

Either of those would be perfect for your 10s and turbo

Not so great for your fast road rides but you can't have everything.
  • peteco
    The only picture so far.

105 5800 11 speed throughout, although the eagle eyed will note the 5700 chainset to maintain compatibility with my power meter.
    Prime RR-50 deep section wheels
    Easton finishing parts (some on order)

Just like the OP, it's going to be my "fast" bike.

Pete

IMG_4193_zpsuwfhknme.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Looking sweet - hat.

Slam that with a negative rise stem and it'll add 5 mph top end. Seriously nice.

Keep us updated please.

Ciao.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    peteco wrote:
    The only picture so far.

Pete

IMG_4193_zpsuwfhknme.jpg

Hi Pete, did you have to wait very long for the frame, I've just looked on their website , late June early July for a 56 frame,thanks
    Dave
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    PX pro carbon. Ideal 'fun, fast frameset' currently on sale for around a quarter of your budget.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If you're looking at alu I would have thought the Kinisis Racelight Aithein might deserve a look in, they're around £600

Personally I want a Specialized Allez Sprint for that purpose, I know the looks are a bit marmite though. Apparently the geo/handling is very similar to the Tarmac which I've ridden and is quite aggressive/responsive. Unfortunately hard to come by then frame only in the UK, but I think the two models are £1500 and £1650 for the full bike. Having said that a quick Google suggests a couple of places are now selling a limited edition version of the frameset for £1300.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I saw that Bowman a while ago when the review was first posted and thought "Wow!". Having seen the partially complete one above, I still think "Wow!"

It really does appear to the bike that is fast, fun and yet look great (no aero ugliness and, bejesus, it even comes with a threaded BB). The company do a few good posts on Youtube, btw...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Imposter wrote:
    PX pro carbon. Ideal 'fun, fast frameset' currently on sale for around a quarter of your budget.

i'll second that! built mine up last week and put about 250 miles on it so far! for the price i'm really impressed with it, and it's orange!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    peteco wrote:
    the eagle eyed will note the 5700 chainset to maintain compatibility with my power meter.

What power meter requires a 5700 chainset?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Matthewfalle
    Ah, hell, no.

Take all that shyyyt off: these bikes are meant to be stripped down stiff, light crit bikes designed for nothing more than smashing along looking really cool: none of the Garmin, power meter trash festooned all over it.

Sad now, see.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    peteco wrote:
    the eagle eyed will note the 5700 chainset to maintain compatibility with my power meter.

Stages (or similar).

I don't see what all the fuss is about, looks like a fairly non-descript alloy frame if you ask me.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    peteco wrote:

Stages (or similar).

I don't see what all the fuss is about, looks like a fairly non-descript alloy frame if you ask me.

Well that's exactly why I asked - swap my Stages between 3 bikes - none of which match the 105 Stages crank - and you absolutely can't tell because you can't see both sides of the bike at the same time.

BTW - I agree on the frameset. Nice paint job but easy to achieve on any frame
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • peteco
    Took about 10 weeks from order Dave. They made this clear when I ordered it.

Pete

Hi Pete, did you have to wait very long for the frame, I've just looked on their website , late June early July for a 56 frame,thanks
    Dave
  • peteco
    peteco wrote:

Powertap C1 - needs a 5 spoke chainset. I don't have to fit it, but careful choice of components now makes this possible in the future.

Pete
  • Matthewfalle
    peteco wrote:
    peteco wrote:

Powertap C1 - needs a 5 spoke chainset. I don't have to fit it, but careful choice of components now makes this possible in the future.

Pete

No.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lincolndave
    Thanks Pete, I will have to get in touch with them today, have you had it out on the road as yet, if so what do you think to it,? , I see it had an excellent write up on bike radar
  • peteco
    Not built yet. I may get it done this weekend.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will have to get in touch with them today, have you had it out on the road as yet, if so what do you think to it,? , I see it had an excellent write up on bike radar
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    If you're only wanting to go fast for 10 miles, in your budget range I'd buy somebody else's dabbling with triathlon mistake.

Or someone else's aero bike mistake.

I'd say buy someone's used Propel and put some Chinese 60mm wheels on it. If you're going all out for 10 miles, let's go ahead and go full retard on it. The wheels will matter more than the frame anyway. You may get lucky though and someone is dumping a used one with the OEM SLR wheels on it. Doubt it, but maybe.

If I were putting 50 mi on a bike at a time, I'd consider new. But only 10 mi at a time? I'd buy someone else's mistake. The Tri world is fickle and ready to spend then dump it off at the end of season.
  • lincolndave
    peteco wrote:
    Not built yet. I may get it done this weekend.

Pete

Hi Pete, I have ordered one now, early July delivery, roll on July
    Don't forget to let us know what it is like on the road, cheers
    Dave
  • fatdaz
    I've decided to go 53-39 chainset and 11-25 cassette but put SRAM etap on it. Is this forbidden unnecessary weight?

TBH I'm interested in etap and will probably stick it on one of the other bikes but I like the idea of this bike being "clean" and lovely
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    fatdaz wrote:
    I've decided to go 53-39 chainset and 11-25 cassette but put SRAM etap on it. Is this forbidden unnecessary weight?

TBH I'm interested in etap and will probably stick it on one of the other bikes but I like the idea of this bike being "clean" and lovely

Unless somebody corrects me - Etap being preodominantly Red and having less wires involved should still be very light. It should go very well with the Bowman Palace.