Cervelo R2

benjai
benjai Posts: 20
edited June 2017 in Your road bikes
Newbie here...please be gentle...

Reasonably fresh out the shop so still have a few things to add and not sure on (to make it look better).

Saddle/seatpost - My old Arione was white which looked a bit weird so will have to get a black version. If the seat is in the current position, do I need a post with no offset?

Stem - I still have one spacer left, and its quite comfy. Any need to remove that as well? And do I need to cut the top off?

Pedals - these are my old ones which are pretty battered. I thought white ones would look really weird but they don't look too bad? Was going to get some Dura Ace ones but they only come in one colour.

Cabling - the cabling seems pretty tidy, but for some reason, something looks a bit strange at the front but I'm not sure what. Like maybe there's a big gap between them? The wireless dongle thing bugs me a bit but I don't think it can go anywhere else?

Bar tape - originally thought maybe orange bar tape might go well with the fork. But not sure now. Shall I just stick with black?

Anything else I can chuck on?

PS sorry about the tyre logo/valve placement. Will sort out when I get new tyres as these are quite old.

5odfgcS.jpg

TReSFN4.jpg

iQKzOsZ.jpg

hYnrhJM.jpg

ef9eXDJ.jpg

Comments

• benjai wrote:

Bar tape - originally thought maybe orange bar tape might go well with the fork. But not sure now. Shall I just stick with black?

Stick with black, just get it wrapped correctly.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Nice shade of primer they sprayed it with.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited May 2017
    That is lovely - very very nice.

Cut the spacers off the top - you don't need them and it looks gash (some also say there is a safety issue).

Get position finalised, mark top of stem, cut steerer 5 mm below top of stem but above top fixing bolt (put spacers to height, mark, remove spacers), off you go. In time when your flexibility is sorted take the bottom one out and slam it like a boss (cue irate posts about slammin' stems and affecting resale values 20 years down the line......).

I'd level the saddle as well.

Seriously cool though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stick with black tape as well. It'll just look weird and gash and dirty in about 6 minutes otherwise.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pedals look cool as well - plain black would make everything look smaller but the white ones work.

The more I look at that the nicer it is.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I think it looks real nice. I have an R3 - they are lovely bikes. What is the switch in the bar end?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Matthewfalle
    TheFD wrote:
    What is the switch in the bar end?

When you switch from missiles to guns

https://youtu.be/JPgMyh7ei6w

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • benjai
    Thanks for the tips. Will probably get the bike shop to cut the stem when I take it back for the first service.

The thing in the bar end is the Di2 junction box. Didn't fancy the old style one rubberbanded onto the stem.
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I love that colour combo. Can I ask what size the frame is? Proportions look spot on.
    The hoods look like they're pointing at the sky a bit- maybe that's what looks funny at the front for you?
    And in my opinion - keep the black tape for sure. Less is more with these things I think. It's a small step from class to crass...
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Very nice bike
  • Matthewfalle
    benjai wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. Will probably get the bike shop to cut the stem when I take it back for the first service.

The thing in the bar end is the Di2 junction box. Didn't fancy the old style one rubberbanded onto the stem.

So it's not for firing missiles from then?

Oh.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Shortfall wrote:
    Nice shade of primer they sprayed it with.

I love grey bikes (have a grey Tifosi for my winter bike) and at one time was actively considering an R2 in this colourway. Looks brilliant to my eye, though its more grey gloss than primer. Keep the black bar tape.

My new Solace disc is a proper light matt primer grey. Thinking about it, my car is metallic grey, and we have a dark grey kitchen too! 50 shades.... :shock:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Love the bike. Very envious!!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Lovely looking bike. Congratulations.

Will certainly turn some heads.
  • benjai
    siddy1972 wrote:
    I love that colour combo. Can I ask what size the frame is? Proportions look spot on.
    The hoods look like they're pointing at the sky a bit- maybe that's what looks funny at the front for you?
    And in my opinion - keep the black tape for sure. Less is more with these things I think. It's a small step from class to crass...

It's a 54cm. I could have gotten a 51cm with the seat higher and more aggressive but I commute a lot on this so I suppose something more comfortable is good.

And you're the second person to point out the hoods! I never noticed it so will have to get it lowered a bit whenever I get some time or ask the shop to do it.

A bunch of people did point out that the main source of weirdness was due to the UK left/back brake cable routing which results in the cables looking awkward. On the continent, the right lever controls the back so the cable routing is straighter and more natural. Not much I can do about that which is rather annoying.
  • benjai
    Thanks for the compliments! Finally have some good weather (and crazy winds) so rode it into work. Sure beats the tube!
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    I really like like the look of this frame, more so than some of the higher end models (the white top tube of the R3 just isn't for me). If it rides as well as it looks then it seems to be a seriously good value frameset for the money.