-6 degree v -17 degree stem - Bar height difference

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited May 2017 in Road general
At the moment I have a 110mm, -6 degree stem on my roadbike, and i feel my bars are slightly too high so wondered what the difference would be in bar height by swapping to a -17 degree stem of the same length?

I dont have the option of removing spacers as I have a 10mm top cap which is as low as they go for my bike apparently and also have a 6mm Di2 junction box holder spacer thingy under it as well.

I think I need to go down maybe another 5-10mm but think an effective drop of 11 degrees will be too much?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    According to this

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

21mm height difference (I left the steerer at 73° and the height at 30mm)
  • JesseD
    Cheers Andy, 21mm is too much of a drop it would seem.

Great calculator tool that, playing around with the angles I think a -10 stem would be spot on, shame Zipp don't do one.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    If you use a Garmin (?), Raceware direct make out front mounts with Di2 junction box bracket included - £35 or so.

Cheaper than a new stem I would have thought, especially as you are looking at something of Zipp quality\cost.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JesseD
    Daniel B wrote:
    If you use a Garmin (?), Raceware direct make out front mounts with Di2 junction box bracket included - £35 or so.

Cheaper than a new stem I would have thought, especially as you are looking at something of Zipp quality\cost.

Yep use a Garmin, and am happy to lose the spacer that holds the Di2 mount as that's 6mm so would lower the bars incrementally more which is what I am after.

Had a look on their website and cannot see a Garmin mount that also holds Di2 that isn't the type that bolts to the underside of certain stems!

Do you have any links to the one that attaches to the bars like the normal Garmin mounts?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    JesseD wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Yep use a Garmin, and am happy to lose the spacer that holds the Di2 mount as that's 6mm so would lower the bars incrementally more which is what I am after.

Had a look on their website and cannot see a Garmin mount that also holds Di2 that isn't the type that bolts to the underside of certain stems!

Do you have any links to the one that attaches to the bars like the normal Garmin mounts?

This is what I have, but they made it with a wider spacing, as I also have a Zipp stem.

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-5201000-bar-mount-di2-junction-holder/

I'd suggest giving them a call or dropping them a line with what you are after - they offer a huge range of colours too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Pro Vibe stems use a ten degree angle, although yes, probably more expensive than that garmin mount.

Although you could sell or reuse your old stem, and might be easier than moving the wires.
  • JesseD
    Daniel B wrote:
    JesseD wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

This is what I have, but they made it with a wider spacing, as I also have a Zipp stem.

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-5201000-bar-mount-di2-junction-holder/

I'd suggest giving them a call or dropping them a line with what you are after - they offer a huge range of colours too.

Cheers, that's quite a chunky item, was hoping for something a bit more slimline, have dropped an email to them to see what else they can do. Thanks for the heads up.
  • JesseD
    TimothyW wrote:
    Pro Vibe stems use a ten degree angle, although yes, probably more expensive than that garmin mount.

Although you could sell or reuse your old stem, and might be easier than moving the wires.

Great, thanks for the tip, will have a look at Pro, i like the shape of the bars as well and of course the bars and stem must match!