Forks

Ricky_m_11
Ricky_m_11 Posts: 10
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Is there any forks worth buying to upgrade from suntour xcr for about 100 pound?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably loads second hand, probably not many new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^ What he said, new, no, used yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I went for some Recon Gold Solo Air when I could get them for £170 (29er, straight steerer), but looked for ages to find anything remotely closer to £100 for "new" (didn't trust myself to find a decent second hand option).

What size wheel / what size steerer? There's a chance if you have a less common spec you might find something.

e.g. https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/rockshox- ... AhQT8P8HAQ for £140 are better than the Suntours.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Ricky_m_11
    Wheel size is 27.5 not sure of steerer size. How do I measure That? Also is 100mm enough travel?
  • cooldad
    A link to the bike would probably help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Looks like a 1 and 1/8th straight steerer in the pics. Length you can measure from fork crown to top cap.

Finding a decent straight steerer 650b 100mm travel QR fork might be a challenge.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I think suntour do epixons in that size (you'd have to check the catalogue) but they are more like £200 new, Raidon maybe?
  • Ricky_m_11
    Been looking around at different forks up to 200 new or used and seeing all different reviews not sure which to go for would like 120mm travel ideally heard mixed reviews on the epixons
  • cooldad
    You're not exactly in a position to be choosy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Wouldn't a longer travel fork change the angle of the front end?
    I would have thought it best to stick with the travel that the bike was designed for.
  • larkim
    Perhaps I'm being naive here, but might a bike like a Rockrider, which isn't the highest end but is perfectly "respectable", most likely not be massively sensitive to an extra 2cm (or 1.5cm once sag is taken into account) up front?

Though as cooldad says, there are so few air forks for straight steerers with 27.5 wheels under £200 that it might just be case of buying whatever you can get your hands on.
  • Ricky_m_11
    Could i not fit a tapered bar set of forks somehow
  • The Rookie
    It looks like a ZS44 headset (see headset standards in the tech FAQ or on park tool website) in which case, yes with a new lower headset which will take about £25 out of your budget.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    larkim wrote:
    Perhaps I'm being naive here, but might a bike like a Rockrider, which isn't the highest end but is perfectly "respectable", most likely not be massively sensitive to an extra 2cm (or 1.5cm once sag is taken into account) up front?
    Why should the geometry on a Rockrider be any less (or more) sensitive than that on an overpriced brand with potentially identical geometry to the Rockrider?

Yes it will be sensitive, yes it would be a bad idea.
  • larkim
    I was just conjecturing that a Rockrider bike will be inherently middle of the road, so not at the limit of any of the various paradigms for a hardtail, but as I said, could just me being naive. I thought there was a general consensus that 20mm was generally doable anyway, but more than that is over-egging things?
  • mattyfez
    edited May 2017
    I went from 80mm to 120mm. :lol:

Having forks that actually work helps, and for me negated any geometry change, and they sag properly when on the bike.

YMMV

IMG_20170422_155935_zpsbnq5m8o4.jpg
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think lots of people used to fit 100mm forks in their Rockhoppers originally specced at 80mm. In fact I am sure lots of people said it improved the bike. I would think it will likely make it better downhill but worse uphill.

Anyway, travel isnt necessarily the only think to consider. According to this: viewtopic.php?t=12800272 different forks may have different height front end even for the same travel?
  • mattyfez
    Yeh I've really got to shift my weight forward going up a steep hill lest I accidentally pop a wheelie and fall off the back!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You could compensate on that Carrera to some degree - looks like you have 20-25mm of spacers under the stem. You would move it down and bring the front end closer to where it used to be with the shorter forks. Would still mean that the saddle is further behind the pedals though, which could also be tweaked by an inline seatpost - you have some layback in yours.
  • mattyfez
    Yeah I was gonna do that but I'm just waiting for a new frame to arrive and will swap all the bits over, once the new bike is put together I'll reassess the situation.

Quite a nice find I thought, I've bought too many silly upgrades for the carrera to just ditch it and buy a new bike.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-analog-26-frame-grey-n-blue-233691?lang=en