Rate the Giro

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
edited June 2017 in Pro race
Solid 8 from me.
Could have been improved with a bit more jeopardy for Dumoulin going into the TT.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Solid 8 from me.
    Could have been improved with a bit more jeopardy for Dumoulin going into the TT.
    The implication of that is that the Giro was saved from being a watery 6 by Dumpin Dumoulin stopping for a pony - That's a bit of an indictment, no?

I'd say 8.2.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Yep, 8 for me too. Excellent last week, lots of talking points and a great parcours.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    It turned out to be an exciting last few days because the top of the GC was so close. However i feel that Quintana (in particular) and Nibali (to a lesser extent) really failed to take the race to Dumpin' Tom when they had the chance. In particular Quintana refused to do anything but sit on others wheels, even when he wanted groups to work. Riding off the front for 300m does not make an attack.

I'll give it an 8 due to the closeness of the GC.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Would loved to have seen what Thomas could've done and he would've been an interesting ali for Dumoulin (in that the probably climb and TT in a similar way). Same thing with Landa. Pinot came good a little too late.
    I was pleased to see Cannonadle get a win and Tejay too.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    I thought it was a great grand tour, certainly more interesting that I expect from TdF (based on recent years).
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    enjoyed the race i'd give it an 8. Great parcours but like any race it's the riders that make it. Nibs and Quintana could have attacked a bit more when Dumoulin was in trouble to gain a bit more time. Back into the realms of riders having off days which is a healthier sign for the sport too
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes probably an 8, last week was excellent but the whole 3 weeks wasn't action packed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    7.5, the first week or so was pretty dull with Blockhouse not really sparking like expected, the long TT was a fairly dull affair with the expected monster Tom getting a whole bunch of time. However, it did set up a great and intriguing (as well as masterful) defense of the pink jersey which redeemed the race somewhat.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah a solid 8 from me too. Very enjoyable indeed.

Friebe gave it an 8 too (well 4 wine glasses out of 5). Seems like a fairly good assessment of the race.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    inseine wrote:
    Would loved to have seen what Thomas could've done and he would've been an interesting ali for Dumoulin (in that the probably climb and TT in a similar way). Same thing with Landa. Pinot came good a little too late.
    I was pleased to see Cannonadle get a win and Tejay too.
    Given G was the only rider within 1 minute of Tom in the TT and had been climbing well I think he could have been up there. Disappointing that we weren't able to find out how he could do.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Given G was the only rider within 1 minute of Tom in the TT and had been climbing well I think he could have been up there. Disappointing that we weren't able to find out how he could do.

We have no idea how well he was climbing since he got taken out just before the first real climb, and as ever, week 3 is a different proposition.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    I'm going to give it a 7 - but on the 8 side

Could have done with more Nibs and less Quinzineapan
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm going to give it a 7 - but on the 8 side

Could have done with more Nibs and less Quinzineapan

:?:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    solid 8 from me. Looks like Nibbles and Quintana are still yet to peak? both attacked a bit but not as much as you'd expect. Think Dumoulin would be a Podium at the tour if he had a proper team... Ten Dam and Geschke worked their socks off though for him...
  • rick_chasey

First two weeks were pretty sh!te.

Third week was excellent.

It feels like an 8 but we've had a lot of turgid sh!t GC races recently (in the races I bother to watch).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
  • reformedfatty
    reformedfatty Posts: 543
    I enjoyed it. First week a zzzfest - when the highlights start at 15k to go it's not a good sign, but I don't know what I'd replace the sprint stages with instead. Shame about G but really enjoyed Landa rising to the occasion to take something away from it for Sky.

Really enjoyed Tom D's defence of the pink jersey.. extremely well ridden tactically, especially given the lack of top quality domestiques to support on the climbs like Quintana and Nibali had. I thought we would be looking at a repeat of his Vuelta defeat at the end but thankfully he held on.

Also rated it as one of the most courageous rides ever when Quintana, Nibali and Pinot combined to try and break him... it looked like it was him (ok, and Jungels) against the world, but he just showed them all up.

Not sure how I feel about the most threatening thing to his lead being a toilet break. Was the race on? maybe. Was there anything they could have done that day? maybe not. I certainly felt that it came across as unsporting especially combined with the later combined efforts.

Pinot's and TJ's stage wins were good to see.

Edit : 8
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    bobmcstuff wrote:

We have no idea how well he was climbing since he got taken out just before the first real climb, and as ever, week 3 is a different proposition.
    a climb where he was a fast as the winner, apparently. Not conclusive but sufficient to let us imagine he could have challenged;
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Perhaps, rather than King of the Descents, they should introduce a rule that if the GC leader gets a lead of X minutes, they have to take laxitives every day. That would spice things up. :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    7. Was on holiday for the first week, so didn't see any of that. Sounds like I didn't miss much. For me the racing was a bit defensive, but I'm happy with the result. The stage profiles always make for more interesting racing than the Tour.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited May 2017
    Memories are so short.
    Could the race be ridden in reverse, everyone would be scoring it a 2.

Virtually zero drama or incident in the first week and a half.
    No GC action, with no contender losing more than the smallest handful of seconds and that included the climb to Etna, which completely failed to erupt.
    The second week ended with some of the dullest parcour and racing to match. The points competition took centre stage then, but was as one sided as the Tour's with Sagan.
    We had a good ITT, a bit of a surprise at Oropa, Policegate and Poogate, plus the final pair of mountain stages delivering some nice action, but little in the way of GC gaps.

If this race was an 8, how does one score 2010, or 2005?

A right in the middle of the road 5 from me.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dull first week followed by lots of individually great bits that for me somehow didn't all add up to anything greater.

6.5, maybe a 7.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I'll go with the 8 consensus

Last two weeks were good, and the last few days excellent, but week one was dull.

The last stage was sufficiently exciting for me to have eurosport player on my phone on the passenger seat next to me* as I drove back to Leeds from watching the Aviva Premiership Final at Twickenham on Saturday. My months data allowance lasted until about 5 mins after Quintana finished, I knew i was running low so that added even more tension :)

*Audio only!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Highly enjoyable, glued to pretty much every stage - definitely an 8 for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Memories are so short.
    Could the race be ridden in reverse, everyone would be scoring it a 2.

Virtually zero drama or incident in the first week and a half.
    No GC action, with no contender losing more than the smallest handful of seconds and that included the climb to Etna, which completely failed to erupt.
    The second week ended with some of the dullest parcour and racing to match. The points competition took centre stage then, but was as one sided as the Tour's with Sagan.
    We had a good ITT, a bit of a surprise at Oropa, Policegate and Poogate, plus the final pair of mountain stages delivering some nice action, but little in the way of GC gaps.

If this race was an 8, how does one score 2010, or 2005?

A right in the middle of the road 5 from me.

Fair.

Gotta take the context of the GC sh!t it's sitting inbetween.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'll give it a solid 7. First week was ok and was delighted for Gaviria winning 4 stages overall. Dumolin was a worthy winner however I don't think Quintana deserved 2nd or even 3rd for that matter. I thought it was very unsporting of him not to pull the other riders back when tom stopped to take a dump especially as Dumolin had waited for him when he ditched his bike a few days earlier but I guess that's racing. Overall it was quite enjoyable, looking forward to TDF now.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    inseine wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

a climb where he was a fast as the winner, apparently. Not conclusive but sufficient to let us imagine he could have challenged;

Did he climb it as fast as the winner, I seem to remember some confusion over the time gaps as at one point he was showing as a couple of minutes down and it was assumed he was holding the leaders but in the end he lost over 5 minutes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    A 7 for me in that it was a close thing and went down to the final stage, which was good, but it never really felt like a classic race, with off-road issues having too much of an influence (police and poo).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I'm giving it a 7 (on the Bristol Scale).
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Tending towards 6. Good final week, but was highly insipid the first two weeks. Even the sprints felt quite vuelta like in its wgaf-ness.