Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

philhul
philhul Posts: 140
edited May 2017 in Your road bikes
EDF9FA00-9650-4877-A7E6-51FE7228664C_zps37uxehxn.jpg

I bought the CF SLX 8.0 as a whole bike during the Olympic sale and stripped and sold the group set and wheels. I would have liked the electronic version so there wouldn't be any unused holes in the frame but the deal after selling the bits was too good to turn down. I wasn't too fussed about getting the integrated bars and stem.
I ordered it on 5th August 2016 and it arrived 22nd September. I did think about cancelling the order during the wait but am pleased I didn't!

I got it stripped and rebuilt in time for a trip to Mallorca at the beginning of October then it was put away over the winter and I have just finished finalising the fit in time for Spring.

It is 6.26kg as pictured and as follows:
Frame and Forks: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
Headset: Canyon ACROS
Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS CF
Stem: Canyon V13 90mm
Handlebars: Enve Compact 40cm
Saddle: Fizik Antares R5 Kium
Shifters and Derailleurs: SRAM eTap upgrade/gear kit
Cranks: SRAM Red 10sp 50/34
Brakes: SRAM Aerolink from 10sp groupset
Wheels: Lightweight Standard II
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa CX 25mm
Cassette: SRAM Force 11sp 11-26
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible
Handlebar Tape: Lizardskins
Garmin Mount: K Edge
Pedals: LOOK Keo 2 Max
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Chain: KMC X11 SL

Plans for this year are to get the bike under 6kg, which I plan to do with the following:
Saddle - the Antares came with the bike and I'm not too keen. Going to get a Berk Lupina padded.
Cassette - looking for a decent deal on a XG1190
Chanrings - I hate the silver ones that are on at the minute. Would like either Extralite or possibly Fibre Lyte
Pedals - fancy trying Time Xpresso 10 but would mean changing pedals on my other bikes too so undecided at present. Might just install titanium spindles on the LOOKs.

I'm not too bothered about going much lighter than that, I've got quite a bit of extra weight I can lose myself first!

Comments

• Nice work, I had a 2011 CF SLX and they are fine machines. The integrated bar/ stem is a really nice touch though. I guess you could probably run 28's as well?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    Looks great, good job!

I think it would look amazing with the new Dura Ace...but that aint going to happen...
  • philhul
    Thanks!

The integrated bars/stem would have benn nice but not worth the extra. Haven't tried 28s, might once I work through the tubs I have.

Not a shimano fan so there'll be no dura ace on any of my bikes! Black chainrings should improve the looks of this one.
  • Mr Stamp
    Mr Stamp Posts: 58
    I've always liked that frame colour, together with those wheels and groupset that is a very smart looking bike. Enjoy.
  • Very good looking road bike! I wish you great summer with many many miles on the road. :-)
  • philhul
    Little update. Bought some carbon clinchers to keep the tubs for best. Also managed to get a 110mm ritchey stem with 1 1/4 steerer so was able to move the saddle forward a bit.

Sorry for rubbish pic. I'll try and get some scenic outdoor ones at some point.

20CC4FE5-BEB5-4BCC-A5F1-DA7930C51941_zps1txus4fi.jpg
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    That's lovely, really like the colour and I actually think the shallower carbon clinchers suit the frame more than the Lightweights! What are they?
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • philhul
    Thanks! Looks wise I prefer the shallower profile of these too. They are 38mm carbon clinchers in matte 3k off eBay. About £380 delivered and a bargain for that. I would have liked Bora 35s but couldn't really justify them over these
  • philhul wrote:

Sorry for rubbish pic. I'll try and get some scenic outdoor ones at some point.

20CC4FE5-BEB5-4BCC-A5F1-DA7930C51941_zps1txus4fi.jpg

We've all ended up in those student B&B's at some point, nice bike though.
    I'd maybe point those shifters down a bit
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bianchi_dave
    philhul wrote:
    Thanks! Looks wise I prefer the shallower profile of these too. They are 38mm carbon clinchers in matte 3k off eBay. About £380 delivered and a bargain for that. I would have liked Bora 35s but couldn't really justify them over these

Interesting. Can you give a link or the ebay seller? Quite a few on ebay, I'm guessing these have novatec hubs? Cheers
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • philhul
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but the item number is 322447768250. The hubs are Powerway R13. Never heard of them but they seem fine. When I bought they were listed as being located in Nottingham but now they say Belgium so not sure what's going on there. I think they import them from China then post on to you from Europe so you don't pay any taxes. I had no issues anyway and you would have PayPal protection.

I have already rotated the bars back down. Took another pic but it was even worse than the one above so just stuck with it!
  • bianchi_dave
    philhul wrote:
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but the item number is 322447768250. The hubs are Powerway R13. Never heard of them but they seem fine. When I bought they were listed as being located in Nottingham but now they say Belgium so not sure what's going on there. I think they import them from China then post on to you from Europe so you don't pay any taxes. I had no issues anyway and you would have PayPal protection.

Thanks
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10