Nice into Italy route (cote d'azur)

bilboburgler
bilboburgler Posts: 9
edited May 2017 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys, I'm in Nice in June and I want to ride to Pisa. The route in Italy looks easy to find, but getting out of Nice and through Monaco looks either very hilly or with no space for bikes. I've found a few online routes but can any one recommend a particular route?

I'm looking for less traffic and fewer hills :)

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Stomping ground of the pros there. I've seen a few riding along the coast road and done parts of it myself.

Check the Strava heatmap for the area to see where people are riding too.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Your best bet is to go over the Col d'Eze and then continue on the D2564 towards Roquebrune and then along the coast through Menton. Yes it's a climb up to Eze but it's pretty gentle all the way, there's very little traffic after the first KM or so, and the views are spectacular.

The 'Moyenne Corniche' (D6007) between Nice and Monaco is a busy dual carriageway. I would avoid it.

The coast road between Nice and Monaco is nice but riding through Monaco itself is a pain in the backside: lots of tunnels and steep, narrow streets with traffic jams, mopeds, trucks, etc.

Or you could take the train from Nice to Menton.

Once on the Italian side, the first section through Ventimiglia is a bit of a drag although there are nice views over the coast in parts. It gets much better once you get to Ospedaletti and you can get on the wonderful cycle track along the sea to Sanremo and beyond.
  • Thanks guys, Mrs B cannot really do hills