Linking a monitor to a laptop

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited May 2017 in The bottom bracket
Is this difficult?

I have a HP lap top that the computer bit works perfectly but the Tv screen bit don't: is there a cable I can the computer bit to a screen or do I just smash it up with a hammer a set fire to it with fire before flinging it into next door's garden.

Help please.

Grazie,
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    It depends on both pieces of equipment, the easiest thing is a VGA cable, but that only works if you have a "pc input" on your telly box. Most laptops have an HDMI output nowadays so assuming your tv has hdmi input then it will work.

The other to consider if you have wired it up somehow is in the control panel on windows you can set up "multiple monitors" so you need to make sure the TV is included and the laptop can output to it.

Hope that helps, not sure a hammer will help, but worth a shot!
  • Matthewfalle
    Cheers Tim - thank you very much.

Plan is to link it to another computer monitor- I presume the same cable will work?

Amazon or local computer shop?

Thank you again!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Just read it's a monitor! Sorry, that should make it even easier, straight VGA to VGA (15 pins), unless your monitor is DVI but you can buy an adaptor for that

Do either of these look familiar https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-DVI-VGA-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000067SOH
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    You might need to go into the settings to configure the laptop for multiple displays once you get the connection lead sorted

Edit: Aarrgh, already mentioned :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    So, theoretically, simples as, spotty dog? Legendary, cheers dudes - Ta muchly.

If I need a new charger, just search on "charger for HP yada yada yada"?

Again - thank you very much for helping the village idiot: I went to Edwyn but he was worse than useless.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Alternatively, would it be a big job for a computer repairman to sort the connection between lap top screen and computer? Or is it just cheaper to buy an iPad/kindle etc?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Yeah, but smashing it with fire will be infinitely more satisfying.
  • Matthewfalle
    Baseball bat it like a boss.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You need some kind of hosepipe, I think.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sock full of snooker balls.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    In the same vein as BB's, there are at least 17 different "standard" connector types to plug a monitor into a laptop. None that fit are supplied with the device you purchased. Once you have daisy chained a few to actually connect the two, the screen format will be incompatible. Good luck.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The answer is:

Look at the connectors on your laptop, and look at the connectors on the monitor. The three likeliest are:

VGA - a blue 15 pin plug or socket, the worst option as it's analogue so your monitor picture won't be as sharp.

Next up should be a slightly bigger plug with a white colour scheme, identified by the presence of a number of holes [pins] on one side and a flat elongated slot on its own at the other end. This is the digital DVI port, much better. If you have one on the laptop and one on the monitor buy a DVI lead for about a fiver and you're in.

The third option is the one that looks a bit like an HDMI connector, but isn't. It's called DisplayPort [deliberate no space in the word], and is also digital. If you have this pay attention to the size as DP coonectors come in different sizes.

You can't realistically mix the analog & digital connectors, so VGA won't go into DVI or DP. You can pick up adaptors to convert DP to DVI & vice versa.

Once you've sussed this and got the correct lead, you need to tell Windows [it is Windows right?] how to use the extra screen space. You can either replicate the monitor display on to the new screen, or extend it so that you have more screen space to play with. Extending is the norm. You set this by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and selecting Graphics Options, or the video card driver options. Once you're in there it's self-explanatory. Just play with it and see what happens. Edit - just noted the lt screen is shot. So don' worry about extending, go for replicate, or mirror.

Decent graphics cards and up-to-date operating systems - Windows 10 in most cases - can handle multiple monitors, esp if you have a docking station with more connection options. A colleague has four screens, comprising the laptop screen and three monitors, running concurrently.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cheers guys - thank you very much for all the advice - much appreciated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.