Anyone live near norwich?

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited May 2017 in Commuting chat
Im coming for a wedding in a few weeks and will have about 6 hours to kill on the saturday morning, thinking of heading out for a ride but obviously dont know the area at all.

Any recommendations for a road ride?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've been out on a few rides near Wynmondham (pronounced "Windem") before... TBH I found it boring, flat, boring, windy, boring, and I was treated like scum by apparently every single driver. This was a few years ago so maybe they've given up persecuting the be-thumbed among us.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    have a look on the BC www.letsride.co.uk
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    davis wrote:
    I've been out on a few rides near Wynmondham (pronounced "Windem") before... TBH I found it boring, flat, boring, windy, boring, and I was treated like scum by apparently every single driver. This was a few years ago so maybe they've given up persecuting the be-thumbed among us.

thats Windum :) Id head the opposite side of Norwich, we hired some bikes from a place near Wroxham who gave us a map, though I dont remember ever using it, as it all seemed fairly straightforward if you just wanted to follow the broads, or the Bure Valley, or do a loop on the smaller roads, which seemed really quiet round there only encountered a few cars in a couple of hours, but Im used to constant interuptions on roads like that where i live as they get treated like rat runs, round there there isnt really anywhere to rat run to.

and flat yes, but I like flat, I dont like hills much :) but alot less windy than the coast, I liked it, it was pleasant/relaxing and we found a nice pub at Neatishead for lunch.

two things to watch out for though, mobile data signal is generally pants, so pre-download any maps (or get the paper one) because otherwise youll get lost because the second point is during WW2 so as not to aid any invading forces, they took down most, if not all the white stick type distance/destination type road signs across Norfolk,and they havent put a whole lot of them back up in the intervening 70 years, especially off the main roads,and you will come across many junctions and crossroads and there will not be a single clue being offered to what direction you should take or where you are in relation to other locations nearby.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Norfolk exile here, born and bred just to the west of Norwich. As awavey says Wroxham and The Broads are a nice area, my brother lives at South Walsham and it's lovely out there. Depends what side of Norwich you're staying, if north or east (and if it were me) I'd head out on the Salhouse Road to South Walsham & Acle, then B1152 to Martham, up to Horsey and just stay on the coast road northbound as far as you want / time permits. I imagine you'd comfortably get round past Cromer and then you could start heading back, down the B1149 from Holt for example or any of the numerous back lanes. If you're west of Norwich then head up the Wensum Valley towards Brisley (follow the villages on the river, not the A1067, although it's not bad as A roads go), turn north for Fakenham then thro Little Walsingham to Wells for the world's best fish & chip lunch at French's on the quayside :D . Return leg eastbound along the coast road as far as time permits then back south via any number of the villages on the north side of the A1067. The BHF do a 100 mile ride out of Norwich:

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/norwich-eng ... te-2835191

which does most of what I've put above! I don't know as much about the south side of town, but if you followed the Yare valley out through Marlingford and went out towards Watton and Breckland you wouldn't go far wrong.

Hope that helps and that you enjoy it. I did a 60-odd mile loop from Wells earlier this year which was good - despite the stiff north-easterly and snow showers - can pm you the Strava route if you want.
  • spasypaddy
    west of norwich near swaffam if that helps?

probably got time for 100-120km
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Alan Partridge? Nicholas Parsons?
    FCN = 4
  • spasypaddy
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Alan Partridge? Nicholas Parsons?
    i was thinking of trying to find a cracking owl sanctuary.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    If you're near Swaffham then definitely head up to the coast: north-west up to Hunstanton then east along the coast road or come inland a bit and shadow the coast road on the back lanes (which might be a better bet on a summer Saturday, especially if the weather's good). It's nice and undulating up there, don't go thinking it's like a pancake. Head to Wells then back down through Fakenham to Swaffham, depending on route that's 65-70 miles.
  • spasypaddy
    If you're near Swaffham then definitely head up to the coast: north-west up to Hunstanton then east along the coast road or come inland a bit and shadow the coast road on the back lanes (which might be a better bet on a summer Saturday, especially if the weather's good). It's nice and undulating up there, don't go thinking it's like a pancake. Head to Wells then back down through Fakenham to Swaffham, depending on route that's 65-70 miles.
    any chance you could throw something together on strava/other mapping service as an idea would be very grateful.

alternatively are there any clubs out that way that may accept a waif and stray for the weekend?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Surely the right answer is "nobody lives near Norwich, because it's chuffing miles from anywhere" :D