Rapha Rain Jacket - differences?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm tempted to get a Rapha Rain Jacket from an ebay site that Rapha seemed to have dumped some old stock on. I'm a bit confused though about whether it could be a very old model and maybe not that good a deal (the seller is clueless).

There looks to have been a minor update recently which I'm not bothered about:

"This season’s version is updated with two stripes across the midsection, one of which is reflective. It’s a subtle, stylish change yet one which resulted in a much more visible jacket."

Was there a more fundamental update in 2013 though? The Rapha site says:

"The latest version of the Rain Jacket includes a number of updates for Autumn Winter 2013, including fully waterproof and breathable fabrics throughout the jacket and taped seams to improve protection.

Among other updates is a new 3-ply fabric on the forearms which makes the jacket more comfortable against bare skin when worn with short sleeves. The jacket also has a reflective left armband, reflective trim and reflective Rapha logo. A zipped front side pocket is large enough for wallet or other valuables."

A Road.cc review from 2010 says this so maybe all versions did have some taped seams:

"The fabric does a top job of stopping the rain getting in and the most exposed seams have high-quality taping to prevent leakage. The narrow side and underarm panels are less waterproof and the seams here aren’t taped although, to be fair, rain and spray don’t come directly at these areas all that often."

The seams aren't essential I guess but if it's a completely different fabric (not the current 3-ply one) then I'm not keen. Any tips for spotting the difference?

Comments

• Not sure what model it is but I wouldn't be put off by it being an older version. I have had three rain jackets dating back to about 2010 and they have all done the same job. If anything I would say the older versions were slightly better as they DWR treatment seemed to last a lot longer on the first 2 jackets I had before needing to be reapplied (over a year as opposed to 6 months).
  • londoncommuter
    Thanks for the advice.

I've got a Sportful Hotpack 4 at the moment to carry around for emergency temperature drops or rain (can't ever be bothered to stop if it start to rain and I've not taken it every time it has been freezing out there!). Don't suppose you've used that sort of thing and could say how this would differ?
  • londoncommuter
    Thanks for the advice.

I've got a Sportful Hotpack 4 at the moment to carry around for emergency temperature drops or rain (can't ever be bothered to stop if it start to rain and I've not taken it every time it has been freezing out there!). Don't suppose you've used that sort of thing and could say how this would differ?

Just to clarify, I appreciate that the Hotpack is water resistant and the Rapha waterproof but I just wonder if you'd end up wearing them at the same time. Both are stowable and without their own rear pockets so you'd lug round with you and put over something else if the weather turned. Just trying to find an excuse to buy something I don't need as they bargains thread has been so quiet of late.......
  • I've not used the hotpack but I do have a gore wear one and I use that and the rapha for different purposes which may be similar to what you are planning in a sense. The gore is much lighter and the one I always stick in a rear pocket just in case (like your hotpack perhaps). The rapha is heavier and I wouldn't take it as a stowaway jacket as IMO it is quite bulky when packed down compared to other rain jackets. I use the rapha on rides where it is raining pretty solidly or I know I will spend a large portion of the ride in the wet so it is essentially an extra layer I will keep on for the duration of the ride.

Hope that helps in some way.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have the rapha classic winter jacket its unbelievable for keeping you dry in even the worst rain but doesn't fold down to pocket size so unless its cold i take the hot pack which isnt waterproof but is noticeably warm even when wet descending an alpine col.

Mines last years model but looks the same as the current ones if you ask me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have the original Rapha rain jacket and once the DWR treatment wears off you will still get wet. I have re-treated mine a couple of times now and find the rain gets through on the arms. It also doesn't breath that well so if its not raining you will get warm pretty quick.
  • I've owned both a Sportful Hotpack and the Rapha rain jacket you make reference to (the earlier model)

As already suggested above, the Rapha is a bit bulky as a stowaway, you'd wear it when you know you are going to be riding in the rain from start to finish. A great waterproof until the treatment wears off, I got a season of wet weather riding in it. Felt comfortable without working up a sweat and keeps the rain out. Does a decent job in keeping windchill out, too, I found on autumn rides I didn't need to layer up beyond a light baselayer and jersyey.

Re the Sportful hotpack, useful for showers in milder weather, but wear it for too long and you'll overheat. Does a decent job in keeping the rain out, up to a point, by which you'd be wishing you had worn a Rapha rain jacket.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've got the 2014 version, it's fully waterproof and feels comfy on bare arms. I've hardly used it as I also got a pro team cape which I prefer the look of. How much are you saving on the ebay site? If it's not that much then I would be very tempted with the new gore tex type jackets that gore/7mesh/castelli have.
  • londoncommuter
    Thanks for all of your comments. Bit concerned by all the references to the treatment wearing off. Sounds a really short timescale. Is that normal for quality waterproofs?

I don't tend to wash jackets as I've mudguards so they keep clean, would it still need re-proofing? The jacket I did wash (a cheap commuter) was never waterproof again despite using the "proper" NikWax stuff.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have a Castelli waterproof jacket from a good few years ago, no longer really waterproof but great for light showers.
    I also have the Rapha Race Cape and the Classic Waterproof Jacket. Both are fairly bulky but can be compressed/rolled enough to fit into the pocket.
    Both of my Rapha Jackets have been re-treated, probably no more than twice and they are about 3 years old. Still top items, but I generally use the Rapha Softshell or an old Pro Race Jacket.