Giro 2017: Stage 19: S.Candido/Innichen – Piancavallo 191km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2017 in Pro race
Onto the first of the final "undercard" mountain stages.
Potential breakaway suspects may feel more optimistic about this one, those GC hopefuls needing significant time gains, less so.

Stage 19: S.Candido/Innichen – Piancavallo 191 km

START TIME: 12.00 CEST

This is a high mountain stage with a long flat drag in the final part of the route, before the closing climb. The stage starts from San Candido for the first time in the history of the Giro. The peloton will climb up Passo di Monte Croce Comelico (categorised summit) and Cima Sappada on relatively wide and well-paved roads, with a long descent then leading all the way to Tolmezzo. Next comes the Sella Chianzutan categorised summit. Along the descent, the route passes through a few porphyry-paved tunnels (well surfaced and well lit), and then levels until Aviano, where the final climb begins. Arrival in Piancavallo, as it happened in 1998 (stage won by Pantani). The final 15 km run entirely uphill. The first 10 kilometres go up at very steep gradients - around 9% and topping out at 14%. With 10.9 km to go, the road levels out and even descends a little, then climbs up again (passing through an avalanche gallery) with milder gradients (max. 8%). The final kilometre is quite sinuous, still climbing slightly. The home stretch (100 m in length) sits on a wide, mild bend, on 6.5-m wide asphalt road, and has a 1.5% uphill gradient.

cimadodici.jpg

Start town, San Candido is a ski resort in the beautiful Puster Valley

geissler-eisacktal.jpg
seen-im-pustertal-1.jpg

Map:-
T19_Piancavallo_plan-1.jpg

Profile:-
T19_Piancavallo_alt-1.jpg

Climbs:-
T19_S00_Chianzutan_web.jpg
T19_S01_Piancavallo_web.jpg

Final Kms:-
T19_Piancavallo_ukm_web.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Beautiful.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Why don't I live there, it's paradise!

Looking forward to this stage. after TJ winning yesterday I hesitate to make a prediction. Love to see Hirt get a stage.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Went to that lake last year. Absolutely stunning and the hotel there has quite a history too
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Nibali on Dumoulin
    "I don't care what Dumoulin says. He's being a bit cocky," Nibali said, speaking in rapid, staccato sentences. "But he needs to be careful – because if we let the others go up the road, he could lose his podium place, too. If you have to talk, talk when you're in Milan and you've won. He's strong, and he showed that by controlling things very well when we tried to attack him. He can't expect Quintana and me to chase down the riders in fourth and fifth place, otherwise, we might as well carry him in an armchair to Milan.

"I think he needs to keep riding and keep his feet on the ground. I have never been that cocky. He needs to talk less. Does he know what karma is? What goes around comes around…"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Nibali on Dumoulin
    "I don't care what Dumoulin says. He's being a bit cocky," Nibali said, speaking in rapid, staccato sentences. "But he needs to be careful – because if we let the others go up the road, he could lose his podium place, too. If you have to talk, talk when you're in Milan and you've won. He's strong, and he showed that by controlling things very well when we tried to attack him. He can't expect Quintana and me to chase down the riders in fourth and fifth place, otherwise, we might as well carry him in an armchair to Milan.

"I think he needs to keep riding and keep his feet on the ground. I have never been that cocky. He needs to talk less. Does he know what karma is? What goes around comes around…"
    :D:D:D:D

Fiiiinaly, some fun.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Ooooh, Nibali's got the right hump with Tummy Tom. Good to see his needling has worked :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What's he going to do about it though, another 500 meter attack that fizzles before it's even really started?
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Tactic today should be to isolate Tom Dumoulin early then Bahrain and Movistar to combine and recruit Astana to smash it along the 60km valley road to see if TomDum can match a concerted TTT. Nibali and Quintana can then duke out the MTF.

I don't think the above is that likely but if the top 3 reach the final mountain together then TomDum will match or beat the other two.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Can't see them dropping Tom in the valley, regardless of how isolated he is, unless of course, nature calls again.

I suspect Quintana isn't in tip top shape, maybe he needs a "f00kin drilling".
  • ContrelaMontre
    pat1cp wrote:
    Can't see them dropping Tom in the valley, regardless of how isolated he is, unless of course, nature calls again.

I meant they need to drop him before the valley and then go into TTT mode in the valley.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Movistar should send a couple of men in the break for Quintana to attack and bridge across to them. Admittedly this hasn't worked on any of the precious dozen times they've tried it. But by the law of averages it's got come up trumps eventually. Any plan which requires Winner Ancona or Andrey Amador to out time-trial Dumoulin has to have a chance.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    If Tom D wins this Giro, it suggests a missed chance for Froome to have added something interesting to his Palmares. He's already got 3 TDFs, does a 4th mean more than 3 + 1 Giro?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    If Tom D wins this Giro, it suggests a missed chance for Froome to have added something interesting to his Palmares. He's already got 3 TDFs, does a 4th mean more than 3 + 1 Giro?
    But a fourth Tour is an essential stepping stone towards winning five Tours.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Not on his form so far this season.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    pat1cp wrote:

I meant they need to drop him before the valley and then go into TTT mode in the valley.

That's the only way to a win a GT when you are the weaker rider. Not easy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I think this is one for Quintana to leave it to the final climb - looking at the gradients unless Dumoulin is on a bad day I can't see big Tom being dropped on the earlier one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95 wrote:
    But a fourth Tour is an essential stepping stone towards winning five Tours.

True and fair point he may think it possible to join that list. Will probably take this year, barring incident. Not so sure after that.

Could have gone for Giro / Vuelta this year - there's not many on the won all 3 list either (6 - just checked).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Is Dumoulin riding the Tour?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Pantani and Tonkov had a nice battle on that final climb in 1998. Hopefully there's similar action today.
  • Unless Nairo and Nibali can somehow leave Tom behind on that third climb and get away with support along the valley they're all going to be together at the foot of that last climb. Before this week I'd have said Niro would then sprint away up the hill but it really hasn't looked like he has the legs for it.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Nibali on Dumoulin

Good old Nibali. I'd quite like to see Dumoulin blow up and lose 3 minutes today but I can't see it.
  • yorkshireraw
    All friendly before the start apparently. Tom has probably realised there are a lot of Italian fans on these climbs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Rai currently showing the interview with Nibs and Tom D.
    Tom D has apologised for his words of yesterday.
    He was caught up in the post stage euphoria and wot not and should not have said what he said etc.
    All the while, Nibali was giving him a bit of the Mafia cold stare.
  • yorkshireraw
    Nibali was giving him a bit of the Mafia cold stare.

Whilst Nairo was off fiddling with Tom's brakes...
  • blazing_saddles
    Glorious weather for the start in the Puster Valley.
    A bit murky and dull at the finish.
    The weather imitating the race?
  • bobmcstuff
    Rolland in the current break but no Landa. Not sure if it will stick yet.

Have I messed up my PTP again? Time will tell :lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    Break with nearly 6 minutes, Eurosport now live:

Clément Chevrier (Ag2r La Mondiale), Pello Bilbao (Astana), Nicola Boem (Bardiani-CSF), Gregor Mühlberger (Bora-Hansgrohe), Pierre Rolland (Cannondale-Drapac), Maciej Paterski (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Tobias Ludvigsson (FDJ), Evgeny Shalunov (Gazprom-Rusvelo), José Herrada (Movistar), Dries Devenyns (Quick-Step Floors), Daniel Teklehaimanot (Dimension Data), Jurgen Van den Boreck (LottoNL-Jumbo), Rui Costa (UAE Team Emirates) and Ilia Koshevoy (Wilier-Selle Italia).
  • bobmcstuff
    So there's a small split in the peloton and Movistar/Bahrain are hammering it on the front... Dumoulin is not at the front!
  • blazing_saddles
    Tom D experiencing Nibs's karma.
    Out the back and 3 teams are killing it on the front.
  • ContrelaMontre
    Tom D experiencing Nibs's karma.
    Out the back and 3 teams are killing it on the front.

Which teams?

Not a drill?