Bike lock advice

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
Hi all,

So need to replace my bike lock as current one is now cut in 2 (yes, next post will be in the stolen bikes section).

Reading around you seem to get the usual split view between chains and D-locks, can I get a consensus of opinion on here and recommendations? Are the Kryptonite locks worth the money, or is it simply go big and heavy as humanly possible. Does anyone have experience of the sold secure cover?

Thanks
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thickness matters as does material quality, there isn't much difference between a chain and D, pick which one works for you, I use a chain as I have nothing to D-lock it to.

At the end of the day if they want it enough they can take it, you aim to make them figure it's not worth it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,129
    I had a sold secure silver rated chain, and it didn't take me long to get through it when the key broke in the lock.

As a replacement I've gone for one that the independent reviews say couldn't be cut with a bolt cutter. If someone has the equipment and time to use an angle grinder, I think the only protection is an easier bike to take nearby.
  • jfparis
    jfparis Posts: 22
    Design & material matters more than apparent thickness

There as a good story on the website http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... ins-44996/

Got both a chain and a D-lock. Although both of them rate equally great on the Bike Radar test,
    * D lock is easier to carry (mount on the bike) than the chain (backpack or as a belt)
    * Chain is a bit more versatile if you have to use a weird fixed point / rack
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I got a hiplock chain. I needed a more flexible lock than a d lock due to variability of locking point at work. One way a d lock is just possible, any other way a chain is needed. Both locks in owned and both have the same inside diameter it's just that the width/length of the d lock is fixed. It's not good to have to resort to a cheapish kryptonite cable. IIRC it could be bronze rated but it's old and I don't have packaging to confirm this. However I don't trust cable locks round my work place.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    If you're thinking of a chain/padlock then watch a few of this guy's videos https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill (and probably others) and you'll soon get the idea of what's secure and what's not.

Kryptonite New Yorker can be cut through with some trouble, but it's probably not worth the hassle of your usual thief (the facilities people at a former work place removed mine when I left it one weekend and complained that it was hard work...).
    With the Krytonite warranty, I think you have to send them the remains of the lock which is no good if it's been taken along with the bike.
  • I had a sold secure silver rated chain, and it didn't take me long to get through it when the key broke in the lock.

As a replacement I've gone for one that the independent reviews say couldn't be cut with a bolt cutter. If someone has the equipment and time to use an angle grinder, I think the only protection is an easier bike to take nearby.

One useful idea is to invent a d lock where the D bit isnt completely solid, but is filled with some sort of explosive, maybe propane or something. It won't save your bike, bit it will provide substantial consolation in the event someone has tried to nick it.
    Perhaps nerve gas would be better.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Someone in America made a lock that imparts pain to any thief. I think I read it on this forum that he was trying to get it to market. I've also read about homemade car alarm systems with pain for thieves. All in America and probably even illegal over there.

Personally I'd rather have a bike I'd not be fussed if it got nicked or good bike insurance. Think of a well insured bike theft as an opportunity to get closer to your ideal bike. My theory is the more bikes you buy the closer to perfection in terms of your needs you get. Of course I've not got enough money to test it but having had a bike stolen once I got a better bike for me. If I'd sold the bike I'd taken a hit and that always put me off getting rid if it. It didn't suit me being a flat bar bike.
  • Maybe you could try putting on a GPS tracking and tracking down the scumbags so that they can get their just deserts. :twisted:
  • I've got a Trackimo on my bike, though it's a good thing i've never tried having it stolen.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Just my 2 cents - 2 locks min and each a different sort (i.e meaning a thief would need 2 types of tool) so a good U lock and a good quality chain - Note that the padlock is usual the weak point so don't get a awesome chain then use some nasty padlock get a hardened steel padlock ideally with some form of security rating i.e Sold Secure Silver etc.

Also make it so that the lock is hard to get at so a D or U lock don't place it where they can easily get a bottle jack in or don't give them something to lever against. If a lock is a ball-ache to get at then they may just walk away.

Also lock your bike next to a nicer looking bike - Not exactly sporting I know but hey would probably stop your bike getting pinched :)

If your bike is decent (and crucially looks decent) then maybe consider a 2nd cheaper bike for the days when you need to leave it locked outside for long periods of time. Go 2nd hand rather than supermarket tat.

General rule is to spend 10-20% of the value of the bike (when bought) on locks.

Also worth noting that bike insurance is a consideration as no matter how well you lock your bike if someone wants to steal it they will steal it - They may just want for you to unlock it then grab it off you. This happened to a mate of mine :(