chain lube

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Evening all, I'm after suggestions for a decent chain lube.

I use muc off wet lube (good in winter but just too sticky for the dusty summer), I purchased some muc off dry lube but I find it far too thin.... Appears to do nothing at all if I'm honest!

Any suggestions for a good summer lube?

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Finish Line (red bottle) is my year round go to
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Squirt.

That is all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

All year round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks all, will give it a try! At a glace it seems there's not much choice to buy in the UK.... Some on Amazon for £9 but £6 postage
  • Itlf it's any use to anyone, I've found 120ml equity with free 15ml bottle for £7.94 delivered...

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... oductid=41
  • cooldad
    That's where I bought from last time.
    There is one Ebay seller sells at RRP, but the official website is normally easiest.

http://in2dust.co.uk/

The lube/cleaner deal is decent. A spray bottle of premixed cleaner, plus a bottle of concentrate, that's done another 10 or so bottles, plus a lube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I bought squirt off wiggle last time I was using it.

Any one else seen those paraffin wax videos on YouTube seems to work well for me. I clean the chain in paraffin too. Unleaded petrol works but is too harsh as a cleaner.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too harsh as a cleaner, you mean it damages the steel chain?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Finally got round to degreasing & re-lubing with this stuff; only had it on the stand but it runs smooth as silk... awesome recommendation!
  • Just be a bit careful in the wet, as it doesn't seem to give much protection against rust.
  • cooldad
    Bit of surface rust doesn't matter. Dry the chain if possible, if not just ride it off. As long as the inside is ok, it's ok.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Agreed, but if you're not very diligent (like me) a week of rainy commuting and no care or attention paid can make the insides very not OK. Never had it go so quick with other lubes, but in the dry Squirt is great.
  • JBA
    Agreed, but if you're not very diligent (like me) a week of rainy commuting and no care or attention paid can make the insides very not OK. Never had it go so quick with other lubes, but in the dry Squirt is great.

So the rust is your fault then. :wink:

A quick wipe of the chain after a wet ride to get most of the water off is all that's needed. Then reapply Squirt.
    When it's dry I lube my chain once every week, but when it's wet I do it every ride.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    So the rust is your fault then. :wink:

A quick wipe of the chain after a wet ride to get most of the water off is all that's needed. Then reapply Squirt.
    When it's dry I lube my chain once every week, but when it's wet I do it every ride.

I like to think I'm more of a facilitator than being to blame...

But with more oily lubes even my lackadaisical approach to chain maintenance didn't produce as much rust so I think Squirt has to take some of the blame.
  • JBA
    Oily lubes stick to the chain and provide a better water barrier, but that stickiness traps dust and grit that turns in to a nice grinding paste and can accelerate wear in the drive chain.

Squirt is wax-based and designed to shed off the chain, taking crud with it. That's better for component longevity but does mean more frequent application is required.

• cooldad
    Which takes all of two minutes, and you never have to faff around cleaning it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    Which takes all of two minutes, and you never have to faff around cleaning it.

yeah, however I found it not suitable for my ride to work bike especially in winter chain went orange, rusty so went back to a light coating of finish line dry chain lube works well surprisingly in wet weather.

Squirt is fine for off road use though unless your in a dry climate to use all year round on road but we don't talk about those bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use squirt on my MTB, but on my commuter I use finish line wet lube, jet washing with salty water through winter and squirt doesn't cut it for me. I use a spray on degreaser which is great for resoftening the wet lube and then redistribute with kitchen roll.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.