Charity jerseys for general riding

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2017 in Commuting chat
What's the general opinion on this? I have an MS jersey from when I did the PRL, and rather than buy another jersey would like to wear it now that the sun's arrived - is this OK or does it break the FTKW rules?!?!?!?! :lol:

PS: my sister has MS - it wasn't a random choice of charity!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    SecretSam wrote:
    What's the general opinion on this? I have an MS jersey from when I did the PRL, and rather than buy another jersey would like to wear it now that the sun's arrived - is this OK or does it break the FTKW rules?!?!?!?! :lol:

PS: my sister has MS - it wasn't a random choice of charity!

You worry too much. I have some L2P and some Ride London shorts that I wear, and I've never done either event.

(?FTKW = Fuck Them Kingston Wheelers? Dd they really have rules about this sort of thing? #surprised)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Simply relieve yourself of the stress by not caring what others think.
    Life gets much better instantaneously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Nellyspania
    Nellyspania Posts: 71
    Most non-cyclists think cyclists look awful in cycling kit.

Therefore it shouldn't matter what you look like to other cyclists, as they look terrible as well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Surely the whole point of the branded jerseys is to get the charity's name out there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    You worry too much.
    It's been said before, I admit
    (?FTKW = fark Them Kingston Wheelers? Dd they really have rules about this sort of thing? #surprised)
    Full Team Kit W@nkers

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SecretSam wrote:
    Doesn't bother me too much if people want to dress up in full matching replica pro kit, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Your situation is different; you have the jersey as a souvenir of a ride you did, and in addition it advertises a charity that you actively wish to support. I can hardly think of a better reason to wear a particular jersey, go for it!

If it's only appropriate to wear that jersey on the actual ride, presumably it's also only appropriate to wear an "I love NY" T-shirt when you're actually in New York???
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mate - you're already wearing lycra so 99% of the population think we look like idiots.

It really doesn't matter what top you wear. Go for it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Yes, wear it.

I made a T shirt for a ride I did to raise funds, and I still wear it on rides. My JustGiving page is dead now, but it links to the charity's active page.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    despite how you might feel, the general public don't give a damn about you, notice you or even read whats on your shirt.

very very few people will actively go out there way to look at what you are wearing and make an opinion of you ... and out of these 33% will take offence, 33% will approve and the other 33% wont actually have an opinion. .. this will happen for what ever you wear

so wear it .. or don't, the outcome is the same
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    This
    rjsterry wrote:
    Surely the whole point of the branded jerseys is to get the charity's name out there.
    and this
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Simply relieve yourself of the stress by not caring what others think.
    Life gets much better instantaneously.
  • secretsam
    TGOTB wrote:
    If it's only appropriate to wear that jersey on the actual ride, presumably it's also only appropriate to wear an "I love NY" T-shirt when you're actually in New York???

That's a very good point; for example, it's only cool to wear a Glastonbury t-shirt at another festival or later Glasto

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    or go and do your first every Cat4 race in a Mallorca 312 jersey and errrr win!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    itboffin wrote:
    or go and do your first every Cat4 race in a Mallorca 312 jersey and errrr win!

Did you "win" with one of your famous sneak attacks? Decide where the finish line is then sprint past everyone to get to it first pumping the air in imaginary triumph? :lol:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not me fark that i prefer to attack when no ones expecting it, a friend I've ridden the 312 twice with
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    I don't understand why you wouldn't wear it?

Get out there and wear it if it's comfortable and promote the charity, every little helps.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    It's a charity top. I own 3, which I wear them regularly ( they are all for "local" charities)
    It
    a) gets the name out there.
    b) makes some drivers think "ahh, they are doing it for charity, not to bug me". - I've had 2 or 3 drivers beside me at lights say "thanks for supporting them, they are important/benefitted me etc"....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Well I've just looked out of the office window and seen a guy roll up to the bike sheds on an old Raleigh MTB wearing a white cotton t-shirt and black bib shorts. Bib shorts were OVER the t-shirt. He didn't look too bothered so I wouldn't be concerned about wearing a charity top whatsoever.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    If you're bothered then donate every time you wear it. That way you're doing a charity ride just like when you got it. You ease your worries and tyre MS charity gets money. Win-win!