Re: Changing group set

thehighwayman
thehighwayman Posts: 19
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi all recently changed my groupset from a old sora 8 speed triple with thumb down shifters to a newer sora 9speed compact changed the hole group set shifter mech's and crank arms and put a hollowtech bb in and I'm having issues getting it tuned in issues shifting the front chain rings were replaced with fsa ones and the cassettes and chain are 9 speed sram replaced cables too and still issues one minute it shifts up next minute it won't then it won't shift down indexing set any help would be appreciated cheers

Comments

• Pippy aston
    Pippy aston Posts: 37
    So it's a sora groupset with fsa chainrings and a sram cassette?
  • Yes that right I've had no issues in the past running sram with shimano but am wondering if sram and fsa don't work together very well
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes that right I've had no issues in the past running sram with shimano but am wondering if sram and fsa don't work together very well

SRAM and FSA work together as some lower end SRAM equipped bikes come with FSA Gossamer cranksets. SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable so the cassette isn't an issue and besides, you describe problems with front shifting, not rear. I'd go back and set up the front derailleur from scratch again, ensuring you've got the correct cable tension on the front derailleur. You will need an inline barrel adjuster to do it if you haven't got one already.

https://youtu.be/tfBiXgf8JxI
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Sorry it is with the rear were I get the problems not the front no matter how I index it and watch the video on you tube with the Welsh guy I still can't get it to change nicely and crisply new cable inners and out as aswell just scratching my head a little sorry for the confusion in my last post
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Have you tried starting from scratch on the rear and using the Shimano instructions? I follow them on my bike and everything works fine. If the derailleur hanger is not straight that can muck things up too.
  • To be honest I've always struggled to get them set nice and the only thing I haven't changed is the rear hanger they have always been nerly nice if you know what meen but not perfect as my 105 gearing on my other bike and I've only ever set that once think I will in vest in a new hanger see what happens
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    To be honest I've always struggled to get them set nice and the only thing I haven't changed is the rear hanger they have always been nerly nice if you know what meen but not perfect as my 105 gearing on my other bike and I've only ever set that once think I will in vest in a new hanger see what happens

Even a new hanger will need to be aligned properly as they aren't always spot on - so you might as well just get the existing one checked :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Ensure that you've shifted the lever all the way to the highest gear before you attach the cable, pulling the slack out as you do. Re-check the H and L limits again. While you've got the derailleur pushed over to check the L limit, ensure the chain rotates freely and the front derailleur isn't preventing it from finding the lowest gear on the cassette. If it is, your front derailleur needs adjusting.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.