Giro 2017: Stage 17: Tirano – Canazei 219 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2017 in Pro race
Stage 17: Tirano – Canazei 219 km

START TIME: 11.15 CEST

The stage is wavy, with a few technical climbs in the first part, such as Aprica and Passo del Tonale after the start from Tirano. A long drop then takes the peloton across the Val di Sole. The route goes up again in the second half: first comes the Giovo categorised summit, then comes a long false flat up, leading all the way to the finish in Canazei (already three times stage town). The route climbs slightly in the last 5 km, on wide and well-surfaced road, with just a very short descent 1,000 m before the finish. The home straight (450m) is on 6.5-m wide asphalt road.

2.jpg

Map:-
T17_Canazei_plan-3.jpg

Profile:-
T17_Canazei_alt_web.jpg

Climbs:-
T17_S01_Aprica_web.jpg
T17_S02_Tonale_web.jpg
T17_S03_Giovo_web-1.jpg

Final Kms:-
T17_Canazei_ukm_web.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Big breakaway gone apparently, maybe 20 riders with a gap getting up to 2 minutes. They're chasing a smaller breakaway of 3 which had Rolland in it, he's been quite aggressive so maybe it's his day.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    should be a good day for Tom, assuming his tummies better.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Big breakaway gone apparently, maybe 20 riders with a gap getting up to 2 minutes. They're chasing a smaller breakaway of 3 which had Rolland in it, he's been quite aggressive so maybe it's his day.

Yep, PR is my PTP pick for today on that basis. So that's probably jinxed his chances...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Smashing photo.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Good photo there Blazing
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • bobmcstuff
    Rolland, Mohoric and Brutt somehow still away, with 1 min 20 on a 40-man chase group.

6 minutes to the peloton.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    inseine wrote:
    should be a good day for Tom, assuming his tummies better.

Tom's taken some Tums
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Chase group:

Valerio Agnoli (Bahrain-Merida), Ben Gastauer and Quentin Jaurégui (Ag2r La Mondiale), Jesper Hansen (Astana), Enrico Barbin and Lorenzo Rota (Bardiani-CSF), Tejay Van Garderen, Manuel Senni, and Francisco Ventoso (BMC Racing), Jan Barta and Jose Mendes (Bora-hansgrohe), Felix Grosschartner, Lukasz Owsian, Branislau Samoilau and Michal Schelgel (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Michael Woods (Cannondale-Drapac), Jérémy Roy (FDJ), Maxime Monfort (Lotto Soudal), Gorka Izagirre and Rory Sutherland (Movistar), Christopher Juul-Jensen (Orica-Scott), Laurens De Plus and Dries Devenyns (Quick-Step Floors), Natnael Berhane, Omar Fraile, Jacques Janse Van Rensburg, Kristian Sbaragli, and Daniel Teklehaimanot (Dimension Data), Martijn Keizer (LottoNL-Jumbo), Salvatore Puccio (Team Sky), Simon Geschke (Team Sunweb), Peter Stetina and Julien Bernard (Trek-Segafredo), Rui Costa, Valerio Conti and Jan Polanc (UAE Team Emirates), Julen Amezqueta, Matteo Busato and Ilya Koshevoy (Wilier-Selle Italia), and Sergey Firsanov (Gazprom-Rusvelo).

Best placed on GC - Polanc 13th @12.13
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Cant quite work out if the profile of the second half of the stage will be selective...long and uphill but probably not steep enough?

In fact, just right for Tom?
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    No mention of Visconti so that's my PTP chances gone again...
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I do love the Dolomites...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I know these roads well.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Looong day.

Giro gets it right with the mix up of distances.
  • bobmcstuff
    dish_dash wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yep, PR is my PTP pick for today on that basis. So that's probably jinxed his chances...
    He's sat up and gone back to the larger chasing group after nabbing the KOM points.

Seems like a good move for his chance of the stage win.
  • above_the_cows
    And Tom's had a good sleep and eaten well according to the Dutch. It was just an altitude poo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    And Tom's had a good sleep and eaten well according to the Dutch. It was just an altitude poo.

The downside of being brought up below sea level.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    How on earth did LL Sanchez not get into that size of a breakaway? I thought he would be going for the mountain's jersey
  • milton50
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Cant quite work out if the profile of the second half of the stage will be selective...long and uphill but probably not steep enough?

In fact, just right for Tom?

It's not selective, mainly just 1%-2% for 80km. Just a few bumps along the way. I mean for tired legs in the breakaway they might present a chance to kick on but won't do anything to the GC guys.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Milton50 wrote:
    How on earth did LL Sanchez not get into that size of a breakaway? I thought he would be going for the mountain's jersey
    I don't know if he's interested in the mountain points. His second place in that competition is a bit artificial. 70 of his points came when he was gifted the Scarponi prize at the top of the Mortirolo (for which there were double points)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Milton50 wrote:
    Just a few bumps along the way.

for some reason I read that as "just a few dumps along the way" and thought, on no, here we go again.

Stage looks ideal for Tom DaPooMan, Quimtana shouldn't be able to get away on that slope but his sprint seems to be pretty useful for a few bonus seconds.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Ha, liking that. Sounds like a Marvel comic hero.
  • milton50
    davidof wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Just a few bumps along the way.

for some reason I read that as "just a few dumps along the way" and thought, on no, here we go again.

Stage looks ideal for Tom DaPooMan, Quimtana shouldn't be able to get away on that slope but his sprint seems to be pretty useful for a few bonus seconds.

Don't think there will be any bonus seconds today seeing as how the favourites are currently 12 minutes down!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Brutt has been hit with a big hammer.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    pat1cp wrote:

Brutt force?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    pat1cp wrote:

Brutt force?
    :D Or lack of it.

Never seen him blow like that before, it was instant.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    Haven't really been following the stage, is Polanc in virtual pink? Is he even still in the breakaway?
  • above_the_cows

The downside of being brought up below sea level.

Maar hij komt uit Masstricht. Geen excuses :wink:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    QuickStep moving to the front of the peloton to help out Sunweb
  • bobmcstuff
    Attacks going off the front group - Rolland going with everything
  • bobmcstuff
    Pozzato alert