Minor detour on a sportive, etiquette

I'm in a little weekend 100 mi brewery tour this weekend. There is a posted route, but the idea is you get a rider ticket from each brewery bartender.

I ride road and cycle path. This is the US. People here sometimes have an affinity for riding sidewalks. I don't. The ride planner is using a bit of sidewalk in a busy area instead of using some nearby roads that aren't so busy. Probably just to avoid using roads.

I would instead like to use the road I always use on this route, since I follow this way often.

It doesn't seem the organizer is going to take suggestions from 20 different riders. That's not reasonable.

But I don't feel like getting hit while riding a bike across a walking cross-walk.

What's the etiquette here? Just pull ahead and then turn off and come back in a mile or two? It doesn't shorten the route or avoid any hills. If anything it adds about a mile and a hill.

To be honest, I really don't like the route on the one 3 mile section.

Comments

• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    It's a sportive. Ride where you like
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ^ This

Its not a competition, there are no rules, you can do what you like.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Riding on the pavement ? Never seen THAT in a british sportive. Yeah just do your own thing - sometimes I get caught up in sportives that are on the roads I'm riding that weekend - you just go off and do your route. Nobodys bothered. If anyone follows you - then that's their fault not yours.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do what you want. You lot voted for Trump, so obviously didn't follow any intelligent reasoning when doing that, so why stop there?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222
    How many beers have you drunk by the end?
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    I didn't vote for him, maybe the guy who created the route did.

Cool, will do. I'd rather have a good time than worry about the gnat's ass details on the route.

I'm just going to get one drink per brewery, which is 3. No IPA's either. I usually grab one for the weekly group ride from a brewery.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    More importantly - are there a UK version of this Sportive. I quit like the idea of riding from brewery to brewery and get a beer at each place!!!