Manchester Arena

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-40007886

People out making the best of their lives. Then some sad deranged fvck wit ruins it all.

Condolences to the people involved and their friends and families.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Absolutely dreadful,
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Closer to home for me than any other attacks as I have one daughter living up there and my other daughter went to Ariana Grande's concert in Birmingham last Thursday. There'll have been so many young people caught up in this.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Shocked and heartbroken at the news this morning. Right in the heart of my home city. I was at the Arena with my son last month. I'm struggling for words to describe how disgusting it is to target innocent children and young people all in the name, most likely, of the so-called religion of peace.

Condolences to all those who have died and thoughts with their families.

RIP
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    How was somebody carrying a bomb allowed inside the Arena? Caught up in the virtual grief, obody seem to be asking the most obvious of questions?

There are metal detectors and police with dogs and whatnotat the doors right? This is unforgivable... you can't point the finger to terrorists, they always existed and always will... policing stadium and arenas is not rocket science, much easier than policing stations and airports
    left the forum March 2023
  • city_boy
    The bomber wasn't in the arena itself, apparently. He was in the public foyer at the end of the concert and targeted people as they were leaving.

And yes, I am pointing the finger at the terrorist...he is entirely to blame.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I doubt there are any measures more than bag searches and occasional body searches. I was wondering the same thing but then how many 'soft' targets are there at any given time and covering them all would be impossible. The most thorough check I've ever had going into a sports ground was a quick pat down and they are only looking for knives etc. Body searching thousands of people trying to get into a confined space creates issues of its own not to mention the undoubted complaints that would arise over searching kids. Metal detectors should certainly be in place at all venues like this though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    City Boy wrote:
    The bomber wasn't in the arena itself, apparently. He was in the public foyer at the end of the concert and targeted people as they were leaving.

SO that's fine then... you can access the public foyer at a busy concert unchecked... in this day and age... :shock:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Horrible. Can't begin to imagine what it would be like to have kids there and not be able to go and help, amazing reports of people coming out to help giving lifts and offering places to stay. Restores some faith in humanity.
  • haydenm
    City Boy wrote:

SO that's fine then... you can access the public foyer at a busy concert unchecked... in this day and age... :shock:

Metal detectors to go into the foyer then? what would that do, the attacker could just walk past outside, the crowds are huge for these things. We could have metal detectors in the streets? Or to leave your house?
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Well of course you can, it's a public foyer. :roll:
    What do you propose, checking everyone at every point for bombs? Then what, when they don't use bombs, but planes or cars? What about when they just use big old knives? How much liberty do you need removing before you realise they've won and you're in the middle of a civil war that nobody acknowledges and all you're doing is making it easier for the other side to win?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Awful. Not sure how you can get round this. Even if you had metal detectors there any nutter could just detonate it outside to the same effect.

Tragic news. And a young audience as well.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    City Boy wrote:

Security are unlikely to be checking people coming in to the arena, just as thousands of people are leaving it. That's probably another loophole that will get filled in the coming days/weeks...
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    How was somebody carrying a bomb allowed inside the Arena? Caught up in the virtual grief, obody seem to be asking the most obvious of questions?

There are metal detectors and police with dogs and whatnotat the doors right? This is unforgivable... you can't point the finger to terrorists, they always existed and always will... policing stadium and arenas is not rocket science, much easier than policing stations and airports

How can you not point the finger at terrorists? If somebody is prepared to die in the process of killing people it's very difficult to stop them.
  • city_boy
    City Boy wrote:

The clue is in the word 'public'!

Where are the security measures in an airport? Do you get metal detectors and searches as you walk into the departure lounge or at arrivals if you go in to meet someone upon their arrival? No...because they are the public areas.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but you're not doing it very well!
  • ugo.santalucia
    nickice wrote:

How can you not point the finger at terrorists? If somebody is prepared to die in the process of killing people it's very difficult to stop them.

I can, but it's a waste of time... it's worse, in fact, it's just playuing their game... the more you talk about them, the more it makes sense for them to blow up. As a paradox, if they never made the headlines, they would not bother... it's probably worth considering whether covering these events is something that should be stopped altogether
  • haydenm
    I agree but there is literally no way in hell that this wouldn't be reported somehow. I'd suggest that if it spread round on facebook it would just become a very dangerous game of chinese whispers
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    City Boy wrote:

The clue is in the word 'public'!

Where are the security measures in an airport? Do you get metal detectors and searches as you walk into the departure lounge or at arrivals if you go in to meet someone upon their arrival? No...because they are the public areas.

True.

If he'd been holding a sign with a name on it, just like a taxi driver, no-one would have considered him out of place.

The older I get, the better I was.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    nickice wrote:

I can, but it's a waste of time... it's worse, in fact, it's just playuing their game... the more you talk about them, the more it makes sense for them to blow up. As a paradox, if they never made the headlines, they would not bother... it's probably worth considering whether covering these events is something that should be stopped altogether

22 dead and 60+ injured in a major UK city - FB, Instagram and Twitter going into a frenzy - and you are suggesting a news blackout?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    nickice wrote:

So security checks at any place where people congregate and censorship of the media. Keep going and you'll have the full set.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    nickice wrote:

I can kind of see the point here - in the US they go loopy over coverage of their Lone Shooters. That's what the Shooter wants. Infamy. They should put a guideline that you can only mention their name once and not give them the attention that they crave.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    My daughter was supposed to be going to the O2 gig this coming Thursday as a 14th birthday present for her and her best friend.

Gut feeling is this will be cancelled now. I have no idea how you'd perform after this.

I cannot even begin to imagine what the families are going through.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Fenix wrote:
    nickice wrote:

I can kind of see the point here - in the US they go loopy over coverage of their Lone Shooters. That's what the Shooter wants. Infamy. They should put a guideline that you can only mention their name once and not give them the attention that they crave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNT ... nnel=katoi

Makes a lot of sense to me.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    nickice wrote:

it's probably worth considering whether covering these events is something that should be stopped altogether

You seemed to be pointing the finger of blame at a lack of security rather than the terrorist himself. That's certainly how I, and some other posters, read it.

As for a news blackout, that'd make the situation much worse. Forgetting the fact that, in this day and age, it's impossible to hide something like this, it would lead people to believe there was some kind of conspiracy and would further strain relations with the Muslim community.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890

Perhaps you should contact the authorities and avail them of your undoubted expertise in this field.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    rjsterry wrote:
    nickice wrote:

So security checks at any place where people congregate and censorship of the media. Keep going and you'll have the full set.

I really look forward to being frisked every time I get on the f*cking tube or bus. :|
  • haydenm
    Gweeds wrote:
    My daughter was supposed to be going to the O2 gig this coming Thursday as a 14th birthday present for her and her best friend.

Gut feeling is this will be cancelled now. I have no idea how you'd perform after this.

I cannot even begin to imagine what the families are going through.

Obviously not the same as my sympathy for the families involved but I feel really sorry for Ariana Grande, it wouldn't surprise me if she never performed again, must be horrible. The Eagles of Death Metal played again but managed to spew a load of shit about complicit security guards and Muslims celebrating in the streets...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    True - she's just a young woman herself. Bloody random target. I really hoped it would turn out to be a tragic accident - not a deliberate attack.
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    I have came across a couple videos online of peoples rushing to escape, can't imagine the feeling.

Local hotel took around 60 children in who had no parents with them to keep them safe!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    rjsterry wrote:
    nickice wrote:

I really look forward to being frisked every time I get on the f*cking tube or bus. :|

profiling will keep you safe and convenienced
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Imposter wrote:
    ...suggesting a news blackout?
    Doesn't need a news blackout, but neither does it need the crazy level of reporting that covers far more than we ever need to know. The BBC have an audio recording of the bomb going off. How is that in any way useful/relevant to anyone?