Voice Navigation app?

liammews10
liammews10 Posts: 4
edited May 2017 in Road general
Hi guys,

I have been doing rides locally and I am really enjoying my riding at the moment, doing around 150 miles a week.

I want to start exploring bit further afield and discovering new areas and stuff but I am always cautious of dangerous roads that surround the area I live.

I plan my routes with Strava but the mobile app offers no audio navigation which is really frustrating as this would complete the app for me.

I have a GPS head unit but it doesn't have any navigation features. Is there an app that you can plan routes or ideally upload GPX files to that will allow me to ride and receive turn by turn audio navigation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Google maps can do voice directions. There must be a way to get it to plot a detailed route but I'm not sure how as I've not had to do it.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Voice navigation, just why?
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    I was experimenting with this last year and managed to get a working solution (Android phone) as follows:

1) Create a map on the computer using Strava (which seems best for multiple waypoints, create a new waypoint for each junction).

2) Export the map to Locus Maps (free Android app)

3) Use the navigation function in Locus maps for the turn-by-turn directions

I did have some trouble forcing the directions to the Bluetooth headset rather than the phone speaker. I solved this with another free app called Soundabout.

Good luck!
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    Voice navigation, just why?
    Why not.?
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Get an Edge 820 which has audio alerts via Garmin connect on your mobile. It can tell you average speed, HRM etc and also turn by turn directions, for clarity it is best with an earpiece though it is possible to hear the phone when in your back pocket.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you're insistent on using a phone to navigate, depending on what phone you have, Cyclemeter will do audio navigation for you. In fact, if it is something you only intend to use occasionally, I'd recommend it over the Garmin 820. When I had an 820 (useless piece of crap (IMO of course)), it became a pain in the backside hearing alerts for turns all the time, or having to mess around with the settings to turn it on or off depending on whether I wanted route guidance or not. Bear in mind that an app will drain your phones battery.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • orlok
    Joshgav wrote:
    Google maps can do voice directions. There must be a way to get it to plot a detailed route but I'm not sure how as I've not had to do it.
    It's not so difficult. First you must make your route and save it like a KML or GPX file. On your computer and in Google Maps you had to choose My Place, then Cards or Maps, then Make my Maps/Cards and then you have the possibility to Import files. When you have done this you can opening Maps on your Android phone, then choose My Place and then Cards or maps. You will see the saved file and can use this to navigate with voice command witch works just fine with an earphone. :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • darkhairedlord
    So 4hrs of faffing about getting all the apps to talk to each other and half an hour to load up the route. Just stop and check the route, takes about 10secs out of your ride.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    So 4hrs of faffing about getting all the apps to talk to each other and half an hour to load up the route. Just stop and check the route, takes about 10secs out of your ride.

wow are you like 74 or something and cant figure out which way round the mouse goes ? :?

I just tried this to see how much of a faff it was

3 mins to draw a 23mile route in ridewithgps .. although this time is arbitory as you might already have the route, or got it from someone else, or spend 30 mins doing it in the evening with a glass of wine and discussing which way to go with the Wife.

hit export ... could time how quick it it was to download as it was instantaneous
    open google maps - 11 seconds including typing google maps
    click places, click maps click creat map click import
    drag gpx file into window upload about 2 seconds
    open google maps on phone, go to maps tap on my map - 10-15 seconds

low and behold it works ... ok I will never use it, I like the gps unit on my bike, but as simplicity goes,
  • orlok
    You see it's very simple. I allready used voice navigation with Google maps several years ago to try my first smartphone out but suddenly it was not possible anymore in Google maps. I never used voice navigation again but I can imagine that's handsome riding in an unknown country. Only you need a good backpack of batterylife.
  • darkhairedlord
    If you really want someone nagging you to bear left in 200 metres, bear left in 100 metres, bear left, go straight ahead for 2 miles etc, good for you. I prefer some peace and quiet on the bike or I might as well buy a tandem.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's simples, innit.

Plot route
    Write down route on piece of appear
    Give piece of paper and dictaphone to wife.
    Get her to ride the route first so timings for turns etc are all at the right time
    Put dictaphone in pocket with one ear piece
    Press play, follow dictaphone.

Jobs a badger. Spotty dog.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I use Google maps to do it. And voice navigation can be better than the visual directions on your handlebars, as you can just enjoy your surroundings, without having to keep looking down at your phone/GPS.

You need a Google Account for this to work, but you just need to load up google maps on your computer (make sure to log into your Google account), then plan your route. Next select the option to email the route to yourself (there is also an option to send directly to your phone, but I have never got it to work relieably). Open the email on your phone and then click on the link, as long as you have Google maps on your phone, it will then open it up and display the route (including all the way points you put in there).