Best Cars for Bikes

jmm434
jmm434 Posts: 18
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Any thoughts on good cars to carry two bikes? I like to keep bikes inside the vehicle (as opposed to on rack). I would be fine taking of wheels and laying them on top of each other. Preferably under the $30k range. Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the $s would be Hong Kong? Aus? NZ? Other?

Basically any station wagon and most hatchbacks.

Or if you're in the US, any tank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Volvo V50. Cheap and blimmin' humongous inside. As in silly big. You could fit The Big Red Barn in there, not just one or two bikes ......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Any van

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Low cost recommendation is a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Loads of room. Diesel 40 min to 50+ mpg . Loads about and really cheap.
  • 18n4b26vbq2rajpg.jpg

Depends on your budget.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I wouldn't choose a car around a couple of bikes. Pretty much any hatchback, SUV would fit them with the wheels off seats down.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Skoda Yeti,one of my friends wife has one as a company car and they absolutely love it,they ride bikes and put both in the back as the seats fold down and becomes like a small van,considered one myself before I bought my last van
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Skoda Octavia if you want a large family hatch type car. In mine I have carried 2x 29" mountain bikes with no problem. Also 1x 1980mm internal door and 2x external French Doors. Loads of room!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Fiat Doblo will take 2 bikes upright with front wheel off if you fold a third of the rear seat down and still seat 4 - you just need to bungy them to the rear head restraint to stop them falling about. If you are willing to fold the rear seats down though pretty much any car of any size will so the job I'd have thought though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I have a Ford S-Max. When I fold the back seats down I could probably get half the contents of my local bike shop in there :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It doesn't take log before an absent minded descition or getting a pedal caught on the other bike sees you run the fork or front ring into the plastic interior of the car and taking a gouge out of it.

So on that alone I would go for the biggest estate I could giving the most room it could to minimise fkuc ups ... mondeo, Passat, A8, 5series, legacy .... BIG
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited May 2017
    Something that works like this would be good

system-bikeinside-kombi.jpg

That said - a friend with a C-Class saloon would put her bike in the boot and his bike on the back seat in a bag (both only wheels off). Another gets their bike in the boot of a Merc SL.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I had a VW Sharan that did that .... with road bikes you could keep the front wheels on and stot them in to the carrier .... the MTBs though had to be a wheel off job and stick the forks into a QR ..... it was awesome

wish I still had it
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Volvo V50? You sure you're not thinking of the V70, because the V50 is not very big at all (mine wasn't anyway).

I have a Yeti and would endorse what was said above. Square shape means lots of volume and you can take the rear seats out individually making loads of space (and upright tailgate means when the boot is open it makes a great rain shelter); take them all out for a small van! All inside a Golf-sized footprint with fantastic turning circle and genuine off-roadness. Had ours over 5 years... love it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Here's my runaround:

18558915_1499271886806734_1373759076471269837_o.jpg?oh=9f94c1d5162db935ac9a519292c9e550&oe=59AD5D2D

pretty sure you could fit two on there. Then again, both outside & perhaps just a tad over budget - apologies for going off topic.

Saw this at the Tour Series in Croydon (no idea how it got out of there with the wheels still attached) - my mate turned to me and said "why on earth would you ruin a beautiful machine by putting that thing underneath it". :-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • ProjectObject
    ProjectObject Posts: 145
    I've had three bikes layed on top of each other in the back of my Mazda 6 estate. Seats down and sheets of thick foam (£6 per sheet) between the bikes. Protects the bikes, one of them is carbon and the foam stops them from moving about in transit. Never had a problem.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Skoda Yeti,one of my friends wife has one as a company car and they absolutely love it,they ride bikes and put both in the back as the seats fold down and becomes like a small van,considered one myself before I bought my last van

Ooooh - yes - one of these. I had one as a car for work and it was brilliant. Really recommended. Pile it to the gills with kit and it will go anywhere.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.