Which gps?

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for something to help me ride new routes, I'm less concerned about stats and data, but when I've planned a route before on strava and used my phone it was not that enjoyable as every time I came to a junction I had to stop to get my phone out to check I was going the right way.

I've been looking around and some seem like overkill for what I want, I just want to be able to plan a 60 or so mile ride and follow the instructions easily, so mapping etc is not necessarily needed.

I've been looking at the edge 510/520/800/810 units, as well as the wahoo elemnt and mio cyclo 505. I don't want to spend a fortune and am happy to buy from eBay/cex if I can get it cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited May 2017
    I can only comment on my Garmin Edge Touring. I have the Plus version just because I was curious about heart rate, but the non Plus has the same maps / navigation functions. Looks like it's about £160 now

It comes with pretty detailed maps for the whole of Europe, and you can update them periodically for free. If you plan a route on the PC and upload it to the device you can follow it as a course and it gives you turn by turn directions just like a car satnav. Ditto for eg sportive routes downloaded from the web, rides you've done and saved as courses etc. Battery life is easily good enough for all day rides.

I have it set to display speed, distance etc normally, and when it's approaching a turn it beeps and shows the map, zooming in to tell you where to go at the junction. Once you're past the turn it switches back to the former screen.

It's a bit less reliable if you ask the device to plot a route for you on the fly; I've ended up doing some CX riding a couple of times following it's suggestions...

The only real negative is that being based on an older generation device there's no wireless / bluetooth connection, and the wired connector is apparently only USB 1.1. Firmware updates are quick enough but the map updates take hours. Literally. It downloads and replaces the whole map file. And probably just to update the name of a cul-de-sac in Belgium.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, end of discussion.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    + 1 For Garmin Edge touring.

Don't expect it to work like a car sat nav. But plot your route in advance and it works like a breeze.

I got mine used for £90 - been great.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    marcarm wrote:
    I'm looking for something to help me ride new routes, I'm less concerned about stats and data, but when I've planned a route before on strava and used my phone it was not that enjoyable as every time I came to a junction I had to stop to get my phone out to check I was going the right way.

I've been looking around and some seem like overkill for what I want, I just want to be able to plan a 60 or so mile ride and follow the instructions easily, so mapping etc is not necessarily needed.

I've been looking at the edge 510/520/800/810 units, as well as the wahoo elemnt and mio cyclo 505. I don't want to spend a fortune and am happy to buy from eBay/cex if I can get it cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Have you considered a case/mount for your phone? Otherwise, all the Garmins will let you follow a pre-planned route. Even the 25. You'll get a nice colour map on the 510 and above, but more dosh.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depending on what your eyesight is like, but I'd go for either the Wahoo Elemnt or the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I've had umpteen Garmins and the Wahoo Elemnt is leaps ahead in terms of presentation, operation, ease of connection etc etc..
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • marcarm
    I know it wasn't mentioned really, but found myself a dirt cheap used once edge 810 so went with that. Just had a little play with it and it seems decent enough, need to figure out how to get my routes etc on there but happy with it.

Any advice on an out front mount? Are any better than others?

Thanks
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    520 is excellent.

Just put the os maps on it and one the current firmware it's bang one. The bolt needs the phone app to make many changes, which you can do on the Garmin via the menu and buttons.
  • StillGoing
    myideal wrote:
    520 is excellent.

Just put the os maps on it and one the current firmware it's bang one. The bolt needs the phone app to make many changes, which you can do on the Garmin via the menu and buttons.

You're overcomplicating the set up of the Wahoo devices there. Using your phone to set up the Wahoo devices is far easier AND infinitely quicker than messing around with the menus on a Garmin. I owned Garmins for years (3 different models since 2009 until 2017) and navigating your way through the menu options was a nightmare.

Also, the 520 has limited memory space and will only store small sections of map. So if you move around the country doing rides or go abroad, you have to delete whatever map you have loaded in order to load one for the new area. Fine if you just stick to your home county, but a pain if you do events elsewhere.
  • Bolt. Not as flashy as a colour screen but does the job without any fuss.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    Lezyne Super Enhanced does all you need at the cheaper end of the spectrum - no built in maps but turn-by-turn nav on both pre-made (RideWithGPS style) routes and if you just choose a destination.
    I wouldn't be put off by needing a smartphone app to choose new destinations etc on either the Lezyne or Element Bolt - a few taps to set your destination and send it over and you're on your way.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I'm finding my new Bolt far better than the 510 it replaced (on ebay now if anyone fancies a bargain!). I suppose it should be better than a 4 year old model though...

You only need the phone connected if you want to change anything or sync a route. Everything happens in the blink of an eye and works first time. Set up your route on Strava or 'Ride with GPS' and it instantly appears on the Elemnt app without doing anything. You then choose your route on the app and press a button. It's then on your Bolt.

Ride is uploaded as soon as you hit the stop button if you're within your home wifi zone. Instantly on Strava again without doing anything.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Use your phone but with an ear piece. Switch the screen off to save power, then you get car like sat navigation directions.
  • marcarm
    Not sure if people have seen but I got an edge 810 for cheap from Facebook and had my first ride with it on Saturday and liked it.

All the direction worked over 58 miles and didn't go wrong once on a route I've never done before.

Will certainly do the job for what I want it for.
  • Cannock Chase
    Cannock Chase Posts: 558
    If you live in the UK buy a 50:000 scale Ordnance Survey map of your area.

Spread the map out on the floor and plan routes off that. Then go to Garmin Connect and build the route you worked out from the map. Then upload to the GPS.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Loving my new Elemnt Bolt. All the device I'll need for at least the next 3 years.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Loving my new Elemnt Bolt. All the device I'll need for at least the next 3 years.

It will never take off. Who would buy something that had a working altimeter, could store base maps larger than a postage stamp and had a battery that would last for more than 10 minutes? I'll keep my Edge 520 thank you very much.
  • StillGoing
    Germcevoy wrote:

It will never take off. Who would buy something that had a working altimeter, could store base maps larger than a postage stamp and had a battery that would last for more than 10 minutes? I'll keep my Edge 520 thank you very much.

:D:D

Wahoo truly have given Garmin a good old thumping with their Element series.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Germcevoy wrote:

Ha. I almost bought a 520 until I got an in stock notice from wiggle about the Bolt. I would have regretted the 520.
  • I've a Mio 505 hc and I've been happy with it for years. There are some niggles but no worse than what those with Garmin complain about (ie nothing's perfect).

What I really like is the 'Surprise me' routing. When I'm away at relatives or on holiday in Europe I say how long (time or distance) I fancy and get three routes suggested. Select one and I'm off. They tend to be pretty good (IE not main roads etc). Once or twice they are a bit quirky like residential area or very rough gravel in France but you get that with Strava routing as well.

Had a big crash and smashed it up and repair by distributor was quick and reasonable price.
  • Ascot17
    Ascot17 Posts: 97
    I've a Mio 505 hc and I've been happy with it for years. There are some niggles but no worse than what those with Garmin complain about (ie nothing's perfect).

What I really like is the 'Surprise me' routing. When I'm away at relatives or on holiday in Europe I say how long (time or distance) I fancy and get three routes suggested. Select one and I'm off. They tend to be pretty good (IE not main roads etc). Once or twice they are a bit quirky like residential area or very rough gravel in France but you get that with Strava routing as well.

+1 for the Mio 505

The big advantage of this over the Garmin devices is that the 'Surprise Me' routing allows you to plan a route from A to B and get the 3 suggestions. You can therefore plan for, say, 25 miles to a cafe stop and take a different (B to A) route home.

Garmin will only allow you to plan a circular route from A back to A
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    Another +1 from me for the Mio Cyclo 505 (I actually have the slightly cheaper 500 model).

I've not used the 'Surprise Me' feature out on an actual ride yet but have tested it indoors and appears to work well.
    However, I have plotted my own routes online and then wirelessly synced/downloaded the route to the unit and it has always given very good turn-by-turn directions.

I got mine off ebay for £75 which I thought was a real bargain. The only issue I have is the battery life may not be as good as a new unit, however, I have successfully used a USB battery pack to 'top it up'.