Budget TT bike

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited May 2017 in Your road bikes
Wheels which are PX101 with Raltech cover / PX82 and full Dura-ace 7800 10spd groupset were bought on a road bike that had been converted for TT use. It never really fit me properly and was a compromise as all road to TT bike conversions are. So I bought a used Ribble TT frame and forks (for £65!!) on ebay. Its the older alloy version with sculpted seat-tube and round top tube which looks a lot better than the current Ribble TT in my opinion. Bars are deda basebars, cheap alloy version with profile t2 cobra extensions that I already had. Everything was stripped and cleaned up, new cables etc added. Got around £500 in this which I think is pretty good.

Obviously its not the latest carbon aero speed weapon but its as fast as I will need and puts me in the correct position which is the main drag factor anyway. Very happy with how the build tuned out.

g9bOTWp.jpg

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I like this a lot!

I've been considering building a cheap TT bike to see if I like time trialling and this would be around my budget as well.

How you finding the Raltec cover?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Excelled job that.

Oven could do with a clean though :shock:
  • ravey1981
    JesseD wrote:
    I like this a lot!

I've been considering building a cheap TT bike to see if I like time trialling and this would be around my budget as well.

How you finding the Raltec cover?

You can definitely get a lot for your money if you're not bothered about having the very latest technology. I did land very lucky on the original bike I bought though, I bought it with the view that If TT wasn't for me I could easily part it out and get way more than I paid for it.

Raltech cover is good, it came on the wheelset so didn't buy separately. Fit is good and it can be taken off in 10 mins or so if needed. If the internet is to be believed a cover gives a decent gain over a standard wheel too. Unfortunately I dont think they are being made anymore, if you can find one second hand they go for about £80. Aerojacket do something similar but not sure if theirs is carbon...
  • ravey1981
    Garry H wrote:
    Excelled job that.

:oops: Its a right bug ger to keep clean...not as bad as it looks in that photo!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Excelled job that.

:oops: Its a right bug ger to keep clean...not as bad as it looks in that photo!

What!? You're supposed to clean them!?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Very savvy spender and very fast looking bike... chapeau...
    left the forum March 2023
  • jmm434
    jmm434 Posts: 18
    Great! I would love to know the aerodynamic differences between a full disk wheel and the wheel cover on the rear wheel. Definitely a great monetary difference!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    jmm434 wrote:
    Great! I would love to know the aerodynamic differences between a full disk wheel and the wheel cover on the rear wheel. Definitely a great monetary difference!

Zero, I suspect...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Nice work, I like white bikes
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ravey1981
    jmm434 wrote:

Zero, I suspect...

Yeah no idea on the numbers but it can't me much, its not something that will matter at the speed I will be going anyway :lol::lol:
  • ravey1981
    Nice work, I like white bikes

I was planning to get it resprayed red but ran out of time and needed to get it built, I am happy with it in white though, even if it is difficult to keep white bikes clean....