What's going on with all the spam??

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
Hi
What's going on with all the spam in last few days Iv never seen so much on this forum.

Comments

• Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    We are awash with drugs!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    its what happens to forums that have a single moderator ..... if they just handed out a couple of mod roles to frequent users that can be trusted just to kill spam .. then we could kill the spam before it took over
  • User "viccidic" has posted nearly 300 messages related to online drug sales since it joined yesterday, clearly a spambot but it baffles me that it can make 300 posts in 2 days without being banned/blocked!

Pretty shoddy moderation by any standards!
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Has a phpBB update been missed?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What far daddy said. One moderator = chaos.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Can the moderator please get his/her act together please, re spam
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • fat daddy
    It isn't fecking hard is it ... block bot, delete threads

The forum is pretty unusable ATM
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A moderator could simply do an IP and email ban and that would be the end of this latest spam, that's assuming the moderator does view the forum more than once a day. After the spam from Saturday you'd assume all the reports would be dealt with properly with the above mentioned actions.
    Think I've found a few topics I want to look at that aren't trying to sell drugs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The answer is simple enough - just put all new users (with less than 5 posts, for example) into a moderation queue. That way, a moderator gets to review approve all posts from new users before they appear on the forum. It will also mean that any identifiable spam posts get deleted/banned before they go live on the forums.
  • fat daddy
    Imposter wrote:
    The answer is simple enough - just put all new users (with less than 5 posts, for example) into a moderation queue. That way, a moderator gets to review approve all posts from new users before they appear on the forum.

That would work well "if" we had moderators that viewed the forum frequently ... but if it takes this long to get rid of a spam bot, its going to drive away any new forum members if they post on Saturday and it doesn't appear until Tuesday - assuming the post does actually get moderated ... now if we had the above and a couple of extra moderators ... ones with no life so hang out on the internet a bit more .. then that would rock
  • imposter2.0
    fat daddy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    The answer is simple enough - just put all new users (with less than 5 posts, for example) into a moderation queue. That way, a moderator gets to review approve all posts from new users before they appear on the forum.

That would work well "if" we had moderators that viewed the forum frequently ... but if it takes this long to get rid of a spam bot, its going to drive away any new forum members if they post on Saturday and it doesn't appear until Tuesday - assuming the post does actually get moderated ... now if we had the above and a couple of extra moderators ... ones with no life so hang out on the internet a bit more .. then that would rock

Agreed - in order to be effective, it still requires someone to moderate ;)

There is an explanation on here somewhere about why Immediate Media is terrified of appointing non-salaried staff as moderators. Unfortunately their logic is absurd, but it is their logic nevertheless.
  • Apologies for the delay. All now sorted hopefully.

Whilst I agree with a lot of the options above, most are not possible, which I've explained before. I would consider the new user option (first five posts), but that argument could be outweighed by the benefits of letting new users post and immediately engage in discussion.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • imposter2.0
    joshjevans wrote:
    I would consider the new user option (first five posts), but that argument could be outweighed by the benefits of letting new users post and immediately engage in discussion.

Two things Josh..

Firstly, that's a small price to pay for keeping the forum spam-free - especially if this is made clear to new users while they are signing up. Potentially, it may encourage new users to post more often, in order to get their 'five posts' out the way as quick as possible.

Secondly, such an option requires regular and efficient moderation. As pointed out earlier, nobody is going to post more than once if they have to wait three days for their first post to appear.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As poor Josh is on his own, I think his head might explode if he has to do more stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    The answer is simple enough - just put all new users (with less than 5 posts, for example) into a moderation queue. That way, a moderator gets to review approve all posts from new users before they appear on the forum. It will also mean that any identifiable spam posts get deleted/banned before they go live on the forums.

Seriously - why don't you just do this? Nothing bad will happen. The good thing that will happen is that spammers (the bots at least, like the one that is crapping on the forum currently) will get stopped. Why would you not want to do that??
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Why not appoint a few more moderators. I'm an admin on another phpBB forum and there is nothing complicated in moderating these type forums.
  • The answer lies in updating to much better board software. Something like XenForo which makes this system look archaic.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They did have a spam moderator but then frittered away the money for his wages.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    What is this:

"WHO IS ONLINE