Need Conti Trail King 2.4" Performance(PureGrip) owners

cpper
cpper Posts: 42
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
I heard that the 2.4" TK Black Chili compound is a huge tire which measures for some people even 2.45-2.5", but I'd like to get the Performance version, which uses the PureGrip compound and is made in Asia.

If you own this specific version of the tire(not BC please), could you please tell me the actual width of the tire ? The height would be also great, if it's a 27.5".

If read of some rare reports(like this http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/conti-trail-king-2-4-not-so-big-754776.html) of tk's being narrower than advertised, and want to make sure what size the PG's are. If they measure indeed 2.4" I might need to buy 2.2" because of possible fork rubbing on my XC30 .

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Like all tyres if you put them on a wider rim the tyre gets wider.

On my CX WTB 40mm Nanos are 42mm wide on my 23.5 internal width rims, on a 19mm internal width rim they are 40mm.

On my MTB 2.35 Magic Mary's come up the same size as 2.4 MK's, both 2.4.

Post what size rims you have and you will get a more specific answer.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cpper
    Rim size is 20.8mm internal. The Trail King(MK not) is known to be way bigger than most of the tires with the same specified width.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pure grip are pretty rubbish, better available at the price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cpper
    The Rookie wrote:
    The pure grip are pretty rubbish, better available at the price.

Have you tested them ? What do you think it's better at this price ?
    This is on the Conti page, it doesn't look bad, considering the price diff to the Black Chili.
    compound-comparison-picture-02.png
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's better than the stock plastic, not sure I agree with that comparison, my son had one that came on a bike he bought, Schwalbe evo or Maxxis sticky or the BC are all much better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    This may depend on the region you live in, but where I live, lots of Maxxis EXO DC TR tyres are in the same pricerange as performance Conti tyres. Might be just that Conti tyres in general are a bit overpriced here (although some shops started putting them on 50-90% sales and can't seem to get rid of them anyways).
    Anyways, the problem with the cheap Conti tyre seems to be horrid quality control. Some tyres come from factory unfit for purpose (won't bead up properly, warped/shifted tyre, at first invisible defects which cause premature wear and failure. Probably not as common as some may think, but these problems exist.
  • cpper
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's better than the stock plastic, not sure I agree with that comparison, my son had one that came on a bike he bought, Schwalbe evo or Maxxis sticky or the BC are all much better.

Of course there are better tires, but none of the mentioned are in the same price range.