What shall I pair with it?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I got Nobby Nics on my bike at the minute and I want to change the one up front. I'll leave the NN on the rear and the one on the front will go on the rear when this one has died.

Ideally I'd like the same brand Schwalbe but it's not end of world if someone has good combo of mixed brands.

Anybody with experience of running one on the back with something up front that works well.

Ride in South Wales Valleys so weather is usually shit! Bike park Wales, afan and off piste stuff all in a typical month.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    High Roller II or another NN making sure it's an EVO compound, what did you have before?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    I've got 2 NNs on at the minute I want to change the NN on the front for something else, I don't like it there.
  • The Rookie
    Yes you said that but I asked what compound!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I ride the same places as the OP and use Nobby Nics without any problems, BUT they are EVO flavour with Trailstar on the front and Pacestar on the rear.
    The OEM Nobby Nics were Performance compound and were rubbish.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    Indeed and the point behind my question......
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I found with Nobby Nics not only the compound had a major difference on handling but so did pressure, they had a very small sweet spot, at 27psi the front became a lot more skittery from my normal 22-23psi.

If you want more grip up front try a Magic Mary.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I've always liked Hans Dampfs up front, paired with a Racing Ralph out back.

However I'm currently running x2 NNs - a 2.4" Trailstar on the front and a 2.1" Pacestar on the rear, both EVOs.

The front seems to have backwards tread on it when mounted on the rim, despite the rotation arrow pointing in the right direction.

Still not 100% sure I like them.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • concorde
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes you said that but I asked what compound!

Didn't realise you were asking that.

Yes they're the oem ones and wank but I don't want a NN up front regardless of compound.

Think I'll have a look at a Magic Mary
  • The Rookie
    Why don't you want an NN up front?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Compound makes a huge difference. An evo Nobby Nic will feel like a completely different tyre.
  • concorde
    Mainly because my monthly riding the MM will do the lot no questions askes, the NN will do it but won't be as good on the off piste stuff which is clay under wheel and lots of wet roots so don't see why I would entertain it? Have one that does the lot.