What Di2 version

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited May 2017 in Road general
I'm looking at buying a second hand bike with Di2. How can I tell which version hardware and software the bike has? Also whats the latest version of both. The bike I'm looking at is a 2014 model. Thanks.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    10sp or 11sp on it? You can only tell the firmware version by plugging in. Why do you want to know the firmware version? As a rule-of-thumb, if you're going to add or change anything on the system, you need to assume a firmware update.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Sutton_Rider
    Its an 11 speed. I know there have been many updates and I think hardware changes. I just wanted to know if this one is original or has been updated as the bike is 2014. Are there know issues with older Di2's?
  • meanredspider
    I don't know of too many hardware changes. I have both 10sp (6 & 4 years old) and 11sp (1.5 years old) and I've not had an issue with either of any sort. I've also been following Di2 and not heard of any generic hardware issues. There have been some problems people have experienced with firmware but these seem to get solved.

The only issue that I'd consider with older Di2 is that Shimano seemed to stop manufacture of 10sp parts pretty soon after 11sp came out. Some parts are interchangeable but the RD obviously isn't. This isn't an issue for you but just something to be aware of in case there's a big change in the pipeline. That said, Shimano seem to be wed to the eTube project big time so I don't see anything radical happening.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    If it's not got the latest firmware then it's a 10 minute job to update assuming you've got the required charger. Otherwise an lbs will do it. There have been very few updates on 9070, I wouldn't give it too much thought
  • Sutton_Rider
    OK guys thanks for the info, seems it's all good to go. I thought it may of been a bit more complicated than it is.
  • meanredspider
    OK guys thanks for the info, seems it's all good to go. I thought it may of been a bit more complicated than it is.

Honestly it's very very simple - especially if you don't mess with it. With my 6 year old system, all I've ever done is charge the external battery - same goes for the others but they've not done the time or the mileage. I can't be @rsed fettling my bikes - life's too short.