London Dynamo Richmond Park TT 2 - 25th June 2017

pinkbikini
pinkbikini Posts: 876
edited May 2017 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Entries to the second London Dynamo Richmond Park TT on 25th June will open on RiderHQ on Wednesday (3rd May) at 7am.

Link here:
https://www.riderhq.com/events/74007/lo ... namo-rptt2

Popular early-morning event and definitely one of the most picturesque TT settings in the London region! 120 entries up for grabs - last one sold out in less than 24hrs. Get your spot soon...

Cheers, Nick

Comments

• pinkbikini
    Now full, but still worth while putting your name on a waiting list if you want to ride - a lot of riders drop out in the weeks running up to the event.
    Cheers
    Nick
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Nice TT event... I did it a few years back... I was a bit gutted there was no cake, considering the rather steep entry fee :-(
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Nice TT event... I did it a few years back... I was a bit gutted there was no cake, considering the rather steep entry fee :-(
    As with most things, if you think you can do a better job, you're very welcome to set up your own race...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    TGOTB wrote:
    As with most things, if you think you can do a better job, you're very welcome to set up your own race...

FFS, calm down... you can't take a bit of constructive criticism? All I said is that since it costs 3 times the entry of other TT and the others have tea and cake, it wouldn't be asking too much to have a slice of cake...

It's not the cake per se, but the excuse to have a chat with other fellow riders over it
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    FFS, calm down... you can't take a bit of constructive criticism? All I said is that since it costs 3 times the entry of other TT and the others have tea and cake, it wouldn't be asking too much to have a slice of cake...

It's not the cake per se, but the excuse to have a chat with other fellow riders over it
    I have nothing to do with the organisation of this event, but I'm happy to take constructive criticism of the events I do organise. One thing I've noticed over the years, however, is that some people who have never been involved with the organisation of an event can underestimate the amount of effort involved. As an example, the CX event I'm running in October has probably absorbed 20-30 man hours of volunteer effort so far; this is just to get us to the point where we have a venue, a caterer and a slot in the calendar. That reminds me, I need to ring around and find someone to provide first aid cover.

London Dynamo have provided free recovery shakes at every race I've done; the lack of an indoor HQ makes full-on tea and cakes a trickier proposition than most, but there is a kiosk in the car park which is normally open by the time the race finishes. I understand LD talked to them in previous years about opening in time for the start, but there was a cost involved which would have had to be met by increasing the entry fee. You could always bring your own piece of cake :-)

If I recall correctly, the going rate for an Open TT is £8, vs £11.50 for this one. Hardly 3 times the price, and the fact it generally sells out within days suggests that people are willing to fork out the additional £3.50.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I agree re the amount of work involved. I have entered club TT for 2.50, which included cake though. :-)
    Pretty much all sportives have very similar gazebo style feeding zones and display cake with no particular issue... I think the recovery drink is a choice, rather than the only option. Personally I would have preferred a flapjack, rather than some freeze dried chemicals redissolved in water, hence I was gutted... that's it.

It's otherwise a very nice TT and indeed a very beautiful one, when compared to the dual carriageway ones
  • pinkbikini
    Not sure where these £2.50 TTs happen, but most CTT open events nowadays are priced at £8-£10. I've also entered crits for £4, but that was over 10 years ago. Is this a nostalgia vote?

Just so we're clear (and the pricing thing comes up year after year on here) the event charges have to cover:

Prize fund (not entirely funded by our event sponsors).
    Levy on each rider payable to Cycling Time Trials (under who's authority and insurance the event is run).
    RiderHQ charges.
    Charge made by Royal Parks per event.
    Catering van charge (for opening early - not cheap but the Parks do not allow alternatives).
    Replacements for the various safety equipment, signs, rider numbers, pins, hi-viz tops, etc which go missing each year.

London Dynamo are not allowed to make a profit from the event.

Comparing us unfavourably to a sportive is a bit unfair - the limitations in place by Royal Parks prevent offering the same level of catering. What you do get is a beautiful, quiet park to TT in, as opposed to a busy dual-carriageway.

Oh, and there are many, many hours of volunteer contributions as well.

I do agree with preferring tea to recovery drinks though. This year we are trying to provide an alternative option. Definitely won't be any cake though!
  • ugo.santalucia
    pinkbikini wrote:

Comparing us unfavourably to a sportive is a bit unfair - the limitations in place by Royal Parks prevent offering the same level of catering. What you do get is a beautiful, quiet park to TT in, as opposed to a busy dual-carriageway.
    I wasn't aware that Royal Parks prevented you from offering food... makes sense then.

The 2.50 was standard for West London TTs around 2012 (typically the 10 and 25 courses from Great Missenden), I think it's the same year I did the Richmond Park one... or maybe that was 2013, can't remember