SCOTT Foil Premium

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited May 2018 in Your road bikes
Finally came to the conclusion my Solace was too big for me and the frame is up for sale (see classifieds - cheeky plug!). Bought it due to back problems (which have surpassed) and I couldn't quite get the front end low enough to be comfortable now. Looked around for a smaller Solace frame but these are retailing around £1400 new, and used ones are rare.

I've loved the new Foil since it came out and this Premium module (f+f, bars/stem and seatpost) came up at a very good price. Yet to do a long ride but its meant to be much more compliant and forgiving than the previous model. Its also a 52s and fits me perfectly, although I suspect I'll lower the bars after a few rides.

Spec -
Frame/fork - Foil Premium HMX (2016)
Bars - Syncros aero integrated bar/stem
Seatpost - Syncros aero
Saddle - Fizik Antares (carbon rails)
Groupset - Ultegra 6800 mechanical (with KMC chain)
Wheels - Shimano RS81 C35

The frame probably deserves a better groupset and wheels, so will look to upgrade at some point. It would look great with the new Dura Ace 9100 (di2) and maybe a set of Wheelsmith carbon wheels - if funds (ok, the other half) allows....

P1020281_zpseqxkz1pk.jpg
P1020284_zps8b2ypgje.jpg
P1020282_zpsl0fcrlsi.jpg
P1020283_zpswyrdmfje.jpg
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh that's very nice.
  • Mr Stamp
    Mr Stamp Posts: 58
    I think that looks very nice just as it is, enjoy.
  • bianchi_dave
    A better photo in the sunlight -

20170518_103100_001_zps0yy1f8hc.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Where's that photo taken if you don't mind my asking?

Looks familiar...
  • bianchi_dave
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Looks familiar...

North side of the Cairn o' Mount summit, on the Fettercairn to Banchory road, Aberdeenshire (looking north). Posted a similar one in the scenic thread yesterday
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Looks familiar...

North side of the Cairn o' Mount summit, on the Fettercairn to Banchory road, Aberdeenshire (looking north). Posted a similar one in the scenic thread yesterday

I thought it looked familiar ;)

IMAG0247_zpsq5uzhswy.jpg

From a couple of years ago now mind.
  • bianchi_dave
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Looks familiar...

I thought it looked familiar ;)

IMAG0247_zpsq5uzhswy.jpg

From a couple of years ago now mind.

Ah, looking back south. Wouldn't put my bike on the pile of rubble (sorry cairn) though! Its the only decent climb near me, and if not too busy with work I try and do it 3-4 times per week. See a lot of roadies up there this time of year - not so much in January.... Having said that, there was snow at the top just over 2 weeks ago
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    I thought I had done well taking that photo but then when I came to take it away I knocked it and chipped the paint... Was my first proper ride on it as well!

I lived central Aberdeen so it was a little bit far away to ride it that frequently.
  • A few updates in time for Christmas.

Pretty much all Dura Ace R9100 mechanical now, with the exception of brake callipers which are still 6800.

New wheels are Wheelsmith Aero (38F / 50R) on Hope RS4 hubs shod with Michelin Power Competition clinchers

Only things left to do are an integrated Garmin mount and I can probably go lower with the bars this year, so once position is set the steerer will be cut. Won't be back on the road until the salt is gone though :roll:

P1020599.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can we have some more pictures please. I think I may neeed one.

Thank you.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchi_dave
    An updated photo now it's back on the road. I know the crank could be in a better position but the bike was precariously balanced against a bidon! It's just how I want it now, with full R9100 (mechanical) and Wheelsmith Aeros on Hope RS4 hubs.

20180515_100749.jpg
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Looks fab, I sold my Foil last year, would definitely buy another
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Cracking looking machine ! Enjoy the miles on that one !
  • bianchi_dave

Oh I will/am! Pretty annoyed with the noise from R9100 when on big ring though. From other threads and forums it seems a characteristic of the rear mech. Hanger perfectly straight and everything set up properly. Think its a combo of the jockey wheels and KMC chain in my case. Plenty lube quietens it for a while.....
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bristolpete
    edited May 2018

Oh I will/am! Pretty annoyed with the noise from R9100 when on big ring though. From other threads and forums it seems a characteristic of the rear mech. Hanger perfectly straight and everything set up properly. Think its a combo of the jockey wheels and KMC chain in my case. Plenty lube quietens it for a while.....

Interesting. I found a full degrease of the chain in my park tool bath, then GT85 / WD40 / TF2 on the chain via a cloth to remove water thus potential rust, then a decent drying time to make sure all water removed and then lubed with either mucoff dry lube spray or morgan blue dry lube allows my bikes to run quiet as I can get them but I use Rotor chainrings on P2Max and works. I know what you mean though some things run quiter than others. During my injured neck phase I ran a synapse with a 9000 chain-set with a shimano chain and ultegra mech it was so quite it ran like a submarine LOL.
  • bianchi_dave
    Think I've solved (ok, realised my stupidity) re the noisy big ring issue. Was reading on another forum that R9100 is designed such that you are not supposed to use the 10th and 11th rear cog with the small ring (cross chaining).

Now confession time :oops: - I sized my chain the way I've always done with previous groups, basically the quick cheat way of small/small through the derailleur and make the chain as long as possible without it sagging or fouling on itself at the guide wheel (upper jockey). This has always worked perfectly.....

So I decided to erm, do that and ignore my R9100 DM instructions (which I'd taken the time to print off prior to installation!) which advised to size the chain on big/big (not through the mech) and add 1-3 links depending on where the chain met. Did that tonight and found my chain was 2 links short. Added them with another quick link and needless to say, took the bike out in the street and blissful silence!!!!

At this length the top run of the chain sags onto the chainstay in the small ring & 10th/11th cog combo, which is why I thought it needed to be shorter. I never cross chain like that anyway so seems a reasonable trade off for a quiet bike!

A classic case of RTFM on my part - we've all done it at some point I'm sure?! Lol :D
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bristolpete
    Think I've solved (ok, realised my stupidity) re the noisy big ring issue. Was reading on another forum that R9100 is designed such that you are not supposed to use the 10th and 11th rear cog with the small ring (cross chaining).

Now confession time :oops: - I sized my chain the way I've always done with previous groups, basically the quick cheat way of small/small through the derailleur and make the chain as long as possible without it sagging or fouling on itself at the guide wheel (upper jockey). This has always worked perfectly.....

So I decided to erm, do that and ignore my R9100 DM instructions (which I'd taken the time to print off prior to installation!) which advised to size the chain on big/big (not through the mech) and add 1-3 links depending on where the chain met. Did that tonight and found my chain was 2 links short. Added them with another quick link and needless to say, took the bike out in the street and blissful silence!!!!

At this length the top run of the chain sags onto the chainstay in the small ring & 10th/11th cog combo, which is why I thought it needed to be shorter. I never cross chain like that anyway so seems a reasonable trade off for a quiet bike!

A classic case of RTFM on my part - we've all done it at some point I'm sure?! Lol :D

Would imagine something to do with the di2 auto change function which is loved and loathed in equal measure ? Me, I am only on Ultegra R8000 mechanical, but man, this has come on leaps and bounds in the last 6 years. So much better than 7900 DA could ever dream of.