The beginner's guide to strava ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited May 2017 in Road general
OK - so Ive recently got an andriod phone, from my very waek understanding that means I can now use strava ?

What do I need to do ? - and whats so good about it ?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    well, you have done the most important thing 1st and that's to create a thread .... this will allow the insecure angry folk to rant at you for being narcissistic whilst telling you how "they" use it and that they only ever use it to measure there own improvement ... yet following on by an anecdote about everyone else cheating and doing it wrong.

the second thing to do is turn it on every ride and start logging at all the stats .... start trying to beat your segments and watch your riding get quicker and quicker
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    :shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Install the app, turn it on, go for a long drive and then wait for newspaper reports of Stravassholes heads exploding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Press start at the start of your ride, tuck it in your back pocket, then press stop when you've finished.

Then check out how you compared to everyone else riding the same pieces of road that day/year/all time.

Keep checking back in to see if you're getting quicker as you ride your bike more.

Then justify how you were much slower than everyone else on account of not being in a chain gang, skipping breakfast, having a hard session the previous day, recovering from a mild cold, not taking enough energy gels, having a non-aero/non-carbon bike :)
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    Yesterday took another look at Strava as I've done soooooo many times before. Trying to figure out how to use it or indeed why you would want to. This has got to be the worst software EVER it is not user friendly, bits everywhere, doesn't flow, its even worst than Garmin's software and that's saying something, and there are no instructions on how to use it. A total waste of internet space.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Yesterday took another look at Strava as I've done soooooo many times before. Trying to figure out how to use it or indeed why you would want to. This has got to be the worst software EVER it is not user friendly, bits everywhere, doesn't flow, its even worst than Garmin's software and that's saying something, and there are no instructions on how to use it. A total waste of internet space.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll all stop using it now.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Most importantly, start thinking of witty titles for all your rides!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,964
    Most importantly, start thinking of witty titles for all your rides!
    And learn how to spell them correctly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Trying to figure out how to use it or indeed why you would want to. ...... and there are no instructions on how to use it.

Wow, I have read so many rants about Strava, but all from people with a lack of self confidence and feelings of inadequacy that tatrumise being slower than other riders ... it's like they feel injustice at being in the bell curve of mediocrity ....... congrats on being the first person I have heard rant about the software though.

In Strava's defence, software, web apps in particular haven't come with instructions for years, not since Apple released the iPhone and invented the word intuitive
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,444

Select "Record activity" from the menu, then the big orange start button to start a ride, then the big orange stop button to stop a ride.

To complete the ride, press the big checkered flag.

Hope that helps.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps This is orange.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

• Select "Record activity" from the menu, then the big orange start button to start a ride, then the big orange stop button to stop a ride.

To complete the ride, press the big checkered flag.

Hope that helps.

Close thread
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Once installed on your phone, you can add a widget to a home screen. Then you don't have to open the app to start a recording

strava-fast-record.png?w=210&h=207
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    OP Here.

Cheers guys - it appears I was already using strava. I must have signed up when setting up my Garmin Edge touring. I already had some rides logged. I like it - you can track youre improvement - I can see the downside, there is a complete bitch of hill which is nearly always on my way home - So I am always a bit knackered when I do the climb, so what I should do is shorten my loop and just ride the hill.....!

Nah, I look where I have gone/faster slower - last night over 25 miles I clocked 15.2mph - which is a really good time for me - thing is I was surprised because I felt like crp all the way round ! - go figure....