First Crit Race - Second place in a bunch sprint!

BenjoMunro
BenjoMunro Posts: 14
edited May 2017 in Amateur race
Not bragging (maybe slightly) but I went in to the race hoping to finish with the bunch. I only had a day licence to bolster my provisional which shows my expectations.

I've always been fit, I used to run 5km in 17mins and 10km in 36mins a little over 3 years ago, but my training on the bike this year has not been what I had hoped due to knee issues. That behind me I have managed 5-6weeks of consistent mileage with few tough rides thrown in, nothing specific to a race.

I loved the experience and I know there is a lot to improve on across the board, i.e. handling, communicating with other riders and general tactics.

Can't wait for the next one! :D

Comments

• MozBiker
    MozBiker Posts: 77
    Nicely done mate! Excellent result for your first crit. There is nothing that comes close to the exhilaration and the adrenaline of your first race.

Next race you will come into it a bit smarter, faster, tougher.

Hope you nail the next one!
  • BenjoMunro
    MozBiker wrote:
    Nicely done mate! Excellent result for your first crit. There is nothing that comes close to the exhilaration and the adrenaline of your first race.

Next race you will come into it a bit smarter, faster, tougher.

Hope you nail the next one!

Thanks mate. I'm already looking at my next race options but it's hard to factor things in around other commitments that life throws at you. In the mean time it's a case of training and keeping myself good to go when the time comes.

Notes to self for the next race;

1. Do not bury yourself for the prime when you started the lap on the front. It only makes the race harder for yourself.
    2. Spend as much of the race as possible near the front to avoid the accordion pace at the back.
    3. Spend more times in the drops, especially in the sprint as it could be the difference between point places.
    4. Communicator better when trying to move up the pack, be more vocal.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hi Benjo, congrats on your 2nd position in your first ever crit race. I was interested in your 4th point. Why do you feel you need to be more vocal when moving up?
  • BenjoMunro
    Toks wrote:
    Hi Benjo, congrats on your 2nd position in your first ever crit race. I was interested in your 4th point. Why do you feel you need to be more vocal when moving up?

Thanks Toks. Well it was a very tight bunch and I got caught out a couple times trying to move up then having near misses when wheels moved over in to the space. A quick shout or a tap on the hips when moving up would let other racers know I'm coming up in to that space.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hey, that's cool. I had visions of a potty mouthed newbie shouting at peeps to get out of his way. Lol. Despite having raced a lot I'm not one of the guys that patiently snakes up through the middle of the bunch. I'm happy to hit the wind so I almost typically sneak up on the RIGHT SIDE of the bunch during a lull or drop in pace. I will occasionally shout INSIDE if that's where I'm going but it rare. Look forward to hearing about your future races. Good luck :)
  • BenjoMunro
    Haha, :lol: , no no, I am a polite person even in the heat of sport. I was hitting the wind quite often and it was one of these occasions that the bunch swung over.

Thanks Tok, Tour of Cambridgshire next week and a RR in July. Hoping to get another crit in soon though.