Davide Formilo's Coach

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited May 2017 in Pro race
Rider: Davide Formolo (Cannondale Drapac)
GC position: 8th at 2:45
Blockhaus performance: 'Formolino' arguably came of age on the Blockhaus. The 24-year-old from Verona avoided the crash that took out his best young rider rival Adam Yates and his impressive 10th place at the summit finish, 2:35 behind Quintana, gave him and Cannondale-Drapac the white jersey and left him eighth overall.
Bidon half full or half empty? Formolo is Cannondale-Drapac's designated GC rider and so he and the US team will be happy to be on track for a shot at a top ten place of some kind. Yates is now 2:04 back in the best young rider competition, with Bob Jungels (Quick-Step Floors) the biggest threat in the time trial, sitting just 45 seconds back. Formolo has worked hard on his time trialing with new coach Leonardo Piepoli and finished 16th in the 14.5km time trial at Paris-Nice, only two seconds slower than Yates. The fight for the white jersey should be close all the way to Milan.
From CyclingNews - http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/gir ... blockhaus/

Has anyone else noticed this? I know Slipstream is the home of repentent ex-dopers but I dont remember Piepoli repenting (could be my memory) and even then isnt this a step too far for a young impressionable 24 year old?
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    You need to listen to the Cycling Podcast. A couple of days ago they covered this and had an extract from an interview with Piepoli in which he was very frank about his background and how the situation is now very different for someone like Formolo.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    dish_dash wrote:
    You need to listen to the Cycling Podcast. A couple of days ago they covered this and had an extract from an interview with Piepoli in which he was very frank about his background and how the situation is now very different for someone like Formolo.

I would like to but I just dont get time to listen.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'm more surprised that there are still teams that have their top riders trained by people outside the team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    dish_dash wrote:
    It was a good listen. Thought Piepoli was very honest.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash wrote:
    It was a good listen. Thought Piepoli was very honest.

Yeah, he was very frank, definitely worth a listen.