monday here's one for the pain, here's one for the lies

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,437
edited May 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

ride, cafes, shopping, basking

not sure how long can i sustain this relentless pace, but i'll treat it as a research topic
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning
    I am sure you can handle it Sungod

Breakfast, work ,bike ride weather permitting. I left the hotel yesterday basking in sunshine 12 miles in my ride the heavens opened up , I must have looked like a drowned rat walking back into the hotel
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Late start out of bed due to sheer tiredness and not lab coat related shenanigans unfortunately so bit of a rush....

Where's my coffee.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    It's a tad moist out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    kind of enjoyed the ride in in the rain this morning .... hitting the MTB trails after work so rode the MTB to work .. soooooo sloooooow .. and so many gears, none of them make it any easier, or quicker, they just make your legs spin faster or slower. .... Its reminiscent of the old days when Diesels didn't have turbos and all changing gear did was make the engine louder, didn't actually make acceleration any quicker
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Tired as I stayed up to watch the gp after the wife had gone to bed, then for the 5hrs I was in the bed kept ferkin waking up

Today is a jacket potato day and probably not even time for exercise later :(
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Got out for a run before the rain this morning, working from home though as I have a dodgy stomach, might go in this afternoon but I get more done at home and I have a chartership deadline coming up (yes, apparently you can become chartered to look at trees). Ordered some Brooks goodness for the touring bike and some Shimano averageness for the cannondale yesterday though so something to look forward to
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    morning all, no work this week so of course it is raining, why wouldn't it!!

broke a spoke yesterday and when looking for new wheels may have 'accidentally' bought a new frame as well! 250 for a planetx pro carbon frame seemed like a good deal for me to use up some of the spares I have accumulated!

also booked car in for service and mot which means that by 9am on monday i have spent all my money for the week! who needs food anyway?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Chris Bass wrote:
    broke a spoke yesterday and when looking for new wheels may have 'accidentally' bought a new frame as well! 250 for a planetx pro carbon frame seemed like a good deal for me to use up some of the spares I have accumulated!

Annoying how things fall into the basket, crucial question is what colour?

Morning, damp in the flats of East Angliashire this morning. Cyber Monday is in full swing someone found a swathe or unpatched win XP machines on our network which have been swiftly disabled. An the weekly shipment of people from Pedroland seen rather annoyed an likely grubby from what they have said (no gas etc)
    Not quite sure whats actually happening today the cyber security guys are lurking in the shadows like some spotty teenage waiting to grab a girl at a nightclub so play it by ear, mean time coffee an marvel at the chaos that will surely ensue.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I was hoping my laptop would be infected so I could sack of chartership for this year but no such luck
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ...may have 'accidentally' bought a new frame as well! 250 for a planetx pro carbon frame...

I thought that Spesh (that came highly recommended by me) would have weaned you off the cheap stuff.

Piddling down today and blowing a hooley. What's it like over there Gazza?
    Have to go jack o/s up and take a look at my stubborn brake caliper. £100 frikkin quid for a new one off some Parts Alliance company. Cheeky barstewards. That's NORS (Redundant) too. Do you think if I buy someone a jacket potato I might get one cheapish? I only need to keep the banger* going for 6 months. I'll even chuck in a percentage of the sale price.

Laters.

*Not to be confused with my chopper.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    A bit achy today after battling rusted on suspension parts over the weekend. Don't need a subframe thanks Piña, had a new set of arms, cones, discs and calipers off a brand new assembled subframe that was NORS. Didn't cost me anywhere near £100. I'm not used to this manual labour malarkey. Stupidly busy in here today as two people are off. I'm sure there's a rule saying only one at a time can be off. Caught up the backlog from Friday, need to get through the endless lunatics that keep phoning now. Need to go in search of something for lunch soon. I'm getting peckish.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Same, minus the hooley.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Was going to mow a meadow today but I managed to get a hangover so walked to the lake and back instead, the meadow can wait until tomorrow although I will then need a dog and if I leave it until Wednesday I will also need a bottle of pop :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    Was going to mow a meadow today but I managed to get a hangover so walked to the lake and back instead, the meadow can wait until tomorrow although I will then need a dog and if I leave it until Wednesday I will also need a bottle of pop :D

Sounds sweaty work in hot weather, have you considered getting a gardener?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:

Sounds sweaty work in hot weather, have you considered getting some sheep?

FTFY
  • team47b
    team47b wrote:

Sounds sweaty work in hot weather, have you considered getting a gardener?

I have a gardener who usually does it but his approach is to obliterate all life I thought I might try to achieve a less battlefield look.

It's not hot yet, when it is, everything goes crispy, the house is made of wood so I want to avoid having lots of tinder lying around :D

If I leave it until Friday I will then need a sausage roll...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    The usual Monday morning dragged even more due to an excellent weekend. Bear with me, it's long I know.

A few weeks ago, the lovely Mrs Slog said "Wouldn't it be nice to go to Lincoln and see the cycling?"

:shock:

Yes it certainly would I thought, so i booked a hotel room near the Cathedral (and so very close to the start/finish). We got there about 12:30 on Saturday, parked at the hotel and went to see what was happening. Around this time, the sportive riders were coming in from the various distances, and we watched them struggle up the steep hill of Michaelgate with it's cobbles and holes to finish at Castle Green

We managed to get the lady at the pub which overlooks the finish, to book us a table for 7pm and had dinner watching the ends of the various heats of the 'Uphill Dash', (Michaelgate again), from the first floor window of the pub

Next day (Sunday), had too much breakfast and then walked to see the women's race set off, chatted to a rider over the barrier as she was waiting. :D 60 miles, 8 laps of the course which included the climb, again.

Back to hotel to check out (but leaving the car) and then back to the races. Saw the finish of the women's and the start of the men's (13 laps).

Next, drove out to see more of the course. As most of it was closed road, this was tricky, but eventually we parked up and walked 2 miles up the course into the village of Burton, which had a fast downhill.

We'd been there 10 minutes drinking a beer when a LandRover pulls up next to us with a VIP driver in it, and asks if we'd like to drive around the course?
    :mrgreen:
    "yes please!"
    Full tour of the course, passing the some of the groups of riders, doing the royal waves out the windows through Lincoln centre and then took us back to our car so we didn't have the 2 mile walk back. Saw the men pass on their last lap, and at this point, the roads just about re-opened, so we were first out of the carpark and driving down empty A57. :lol:

Not a bad weekend.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    Wakey wakey Mr Slog, it's time for your medicine.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Pinno wrote:
    Wakey wakey Mr Slog, it's time for your medicine.

Yes, it was a bit like that! :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Matthewfalle
    Capt Slog wrote:

Next day (Sunday), had too much breakfast and then walked to see the women's race set off, chatted to a rider over the barrier as she was waiting. :D

Any pics of her norks?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    ...and it will all seem quite surreal in the memory.

During the last few laps of the Brighton Wincanton classic in 1991, I was running towards a gate at the back of the make shift stand as I spotted Gilbert Duclos Lassalle, who baled with a lap to go. I only wanted to get close to take a picture. I was carrying 2 cameras at the time and the security guard at the gate just let me through!! My then GF was suddenly abandoned, quickly forgotten and the wrong side of the gate.
    Better still GDL gave me his water bottle and I got to talk to Stephen Hodge who had hit a dog and come off up Wilson Avenue.
    After getting back with the GF when the dust had settled, I remained outside of the hotel across the road from the finish area and Claudio Chiapucci appeared. I asked him politely for a photograph in my pigeon(?) Italian. He politely said 'si' and stood there. As I was sizing him up and before I 'clicked', I was swamped by a whole herd of Italian girls. So I got 3 successive shots of his nose and a close up of his face. He actually helped me stay upright in the malaise, laughing all the time at me in a jovial sort of way.
    I still have the pictures.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

During the last few laps of the Brighton Wincanton classic in 1991, I was running towards a gate at the back of the make shift stand as I spotted Gilbert Duclos Lassalle, who baled with a lap to go. I only wanted to get close to take a picture. I was carrying 2 cameras at the time and the security guard at the gate just let me through!! My then GF was suddenly abandoned, quickly forgotten and the wrong side of the gate.
    Better still GDL gave me his water bottle and I got to talk to Stephen Hodge who had hit a dog and come off up Wilson Avenue.
    After getting back with the GF when the dust had settled, I remained outside of the hotel across the road from the finish area and Claudio Chiapucci appeared. I asked him politely for a photograph in my pigeon(?) Italian. He politely said 'si' and stood there. As I was sizing him up and before I 'clicked', I was swamped by a whole herd of Italian girls. So I got 3 successive shots of his nose and a close up of his face. He actually helped me stay upright in the malaise, laughing all the time at me in a jovial sort of way.

POGFILCOIDH

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,171
    Woke up just before the alarm and couldn't immediately recall what day it was - oh dear. Had a good but moist pedal in and just about to do the return journey. Have made some good progress on parent related stuff as well as actually doing some work.

Unfortunately I've been roped into driving junior and a couple of her mates to and from the O2 to see some crappy pop act (Who TF is Shawn Mendes?) and also have to kill a few hours waiting for them. So it's probably a case of stuff my face and go see Alien Covenant at the pics next to the arena. Hey ho.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Woke up just before the alarm and couldn't immediately recall what day it was - oh dear. Had a good but moist pedal in and just about to do the return journey. Have made some good progress on parent related stuff as well as actually doing some work.

Unfortunately I've been roped into driving junior and a couple of her mates to and from the O2 to see some crappy pop act (Who TF is Shawn Mendes?) and also have to kill a few hours waiting for them. So it's probably a case of stuff my face and go see Alien Covenant at the pics next to the arena. Hey ho.

Played left back for Spurs alongside Ossie Ardiles I believe.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

POGFILCOIDH

Ergo: If I could scan the pics succesfully, I would. Can't seem to upload scanned pics into Pinterest or Flikr.
  • team47b
    Digital camera, daylight, if you have that at this time of year up north, take pics of pics, upload, sorted :D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Step83 wrote:

dont judge me but i went for the orange one (was very nearly the pink one!)

Pinno wrote:
    I thought that Spesh (that came highly recommended by me) would have weaned you off the cheap stuff.

I need something to remind me why expensive stuff costs so much! anyway, that was the bike i broke the spoke on so in a round about sort of a way me buying a frame i don't really need is entirely your fault!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    Ah, I see - you broke a spoke, on a wheel, on a bike. Why didn't you say so? Of course if you broke a spoke on a wheel you need a new frameset. There's no doubt.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

dont judge me but i went for the orange one (was very nearly the pink one!)

Not judging at all I was torn between that an the lime green till I spotted the RT80 on offer
  • pinno
    How you getting on with those Vittoria's Step?

You know how I said I was going to swap back the the Pro 3's for the summer and to use them, seen as it is a shame to leave them sitting? Well. less than 4 miles into a 60 mile ride and after a whole 14 months of no punctures... psst.psst..psst...psst....psst.....psst.....psst.......psst........psst........psst.........psst..........psst...........psst...............psst..................psst.........................psst.........................

You can tell I was going very very fast at the time.

Back to the Vittoria's :roll: