Al or cf

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys im in a dilemma iam going to get a yt jeffsy and iam stuck between the al one or cf one there practically the same spec apart from the wheels and the suspension is the next step up rockshox . The price however is £700 different. So my question is as a casual rider would it be worth me getting cf model iam concerned about the longevity of the frame over the alloy version. Any help grateful received

Anthony

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Not really the same spec if the wheels and suspension are different? CF has the bling/bragging factor but unless you are into KOMs and shaving seconds off segments then no real advantage.

Personally I'd go for better suspension and wheels
  • arix36
    Well iam certainly not into kotm or shaving seconds that's for sure. I just enjoy flying around the local trails and hoping to have a go at cannock chase some time thats all. The al one comes with ROCKSHOX PIKE RC, MONARCH RT, and DT SWISS M1900 SPLINE wheels. The cf one comes with ROCKSHOX PIKE RCT3, MONARCH RT3 and E*THIRTEEN TRS wheels. But its the strength and longevity of the carbon frame that worries me
  • arix36
    I know jeffsy is a lot of bike and more than I'll ever need but its what ive got my heart set on. The al one is the highest spec alloy frame they make. Iam not that worried about me damaging the frame I'll damage it either alloy or carbon its just the forgiving nature of alloy and the brittleness of carbon that worries me and weather the extra money is worth it
  • I've got last years base model Jeffsy AL and I love it. It is a do anything bike (within reason). But its not without faults and I've had to spend £500+ to get it to a spec I'm happy with.
    In hindsight I wish I had gone for the carbon framed model as its a good 3.0-3.5 lbs lighter and I was used to riding Giant Anthem, and it came with better specced groupset, brakes, suspension and wheels, much like what you're currently looking at. If you like doing big all day epics the lighter weight will be appreciated.
    As oxoman said its a bit overkill for Cannock, you'll need to treat it to a nice holiday to Glentress!
  • arix36
    Well iam coming from a 20yr old raleigh max i mainly raid my local trails at thetford forest atm ive been saving any spare cash i can get and this will be my long term bike for a few years. I can easily afford the al one atm but its not available until the end of August however if really keep saving i could get the the cf one which is available end of June. But i need something that will last and take what's thrown at it for a long time
  • In that case just go for which ever one suits your needs the best as you'll know your style and type of riding better than anyone. Word of warning though, the Jeffsy is so popular YT cannot keep up with demand as they are now exporting to a lot more countries and the Jeffsy is the must have bike. So if you do decide to get the CF1 it could be out of stock when you're ready to purchase.
  • arix36
    Thanks for the input i have noticed that the al one has gone from the 26th of June till the end of August hence my question as the cf one is available for the 21of June but as ive said iam concerned about the longevity of carbon fibre frame's
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    One of the longevity issues may be that a CF bike being inherently more expensive may be more prone to getting stolen.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • arix36
    Its more the fear of it cracking tbh
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    buy the AL1 and spend the extra cash on a better wheels.
  • arix36
    Yeah iam kinda thinking I'll go for the al one. Whats wrong with the wheels? I thought dt swiss were good
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    heavy and narrow - or just buy the CF version
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    arix36 wrote:
    Its more the fear of it cracking tbh
    You'll put a dent in an alloy frame that will write it off before you crack a carbon one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    I was concerned about my carbon frame 6 years ago. After my 1st couple of offs it was never an issue. It still looks and rides as well as the day I got it.
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    arix36 wrote:
    Thanks for the input i have noticed that the al one has gone from the 26th of June till the end of August hence my question as the cf one is available for the 21of June but as ive said iam concerned about the longevity of carbon fibre frame's

How long are you thinking of keeping it? A million years? Ten million? Because a Carbon Fibre frame won't fall apart EVER.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    arix36 wrote:
    but as ive said iam concerned about the longevity of carbon fibre frame's

My carbon road bike is almost 10 years old ... actually so is my Alu road bike .. they are both fine .... although my Alu 1997 Klein is now 20 years old and happily towing a tagalong off road.

a decent bike will last if you look after it
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    I've got last years base model Jeffsy AL and I love it. It is a do anything bike (within reason). But its not without faults and I've had to spend £500+ to get it to a spec I'm happy with.
    In hindsight I wish I had gone for the carbon framed model as its a good 3.0-3.5 lbs lighter and I was used to riding Giant Anthem, and it came with better specced groupset, brakes, suspension and wheels, much like what you're currently looking at. If you like doing big all day epics the lighter weight will be appreciated.
    As oxoman said its a bit overkill for Cannock, you'll need to treat it to a nice holiday to Glentress!

Absolutely - I have a CF Scott Genius MC10, and I haven't had ANY problems with the Carbon Fibre frame - it has been round Glentress a couple of hundred times and it hasn't broken yet. If I were you, I would go for the Carbon one (in case it wasn't obvious!)...
  • arix36
    Thanks for all the help guys so you think iam worrying unnecessarily then? And would you say its worth paying the extra £700 for the slightly better suspension and wheels then
  • What would you guys for the 27.5 or 29er version ??
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If in doubt I'd just get the 27.5, but it's preference really, you'd have to do some reading on how they differ