Giro 2017: STAGE 8: Molfetta – Peschici 189 km *spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2017 in Pro race
STAGE 8: Molfetta – Peschici 189 km

START TIME: 12.25 CEST

The stage starts from Molfetta, for the first time in the history of Giro. The route is on flat and straight roads in the first 90 km, while the following 100 km are constantly undulating, with several curves and changes of direction. Past Manfredonia, the stage clears the Monte Sant’Angelo categorised climb, and then takes the entire scenic route, all the way to Peschici (with a KOM climb in Coppa Santa Tecla and an intermediate sprint in Vieste) which has already been stage town for other four times (one starting and three arrival). The stage finale is fairly complex, with a fast-running descent from 5 to 3 km to the finish, followed by a short flat stretch, up to 1,500 m from the finish. Here begins the closing climb, which grows increasingly steeper as the finish draws nearer (with peaks reaching 12%), and with several sharp bends. The home straight (200 m), on 7-m wide stone-paved road, has a 9-10% uphill gradient.

Map:-
map-08.jpg

Profile:-
T08_Peschici_alt-1.jpg

Climb:-
T08_S01_MSAngelo_web.jpg

Last Kms:-
T08_Peschici_ukm_web.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    Fair flying along today. Average still around 55kph.
    16 man break have just over 2 minutes.
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Technical-looking finish today.

T08_Peschici_ARR_web.jpg
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Composition of the break:

Jan Barta (Bora-Hansgrohe), Laurent Didier (Trek-Segafredo), Kristian Sbaragli (Dimension Data), Maciej Paterski (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Branislau Samoilau (CCC), Jasper De Buyst (Lotto Soudal), Viacheslav Kuznetsov (Katusha-Alpecin), Roberto Ferrari (UAE Team Emirates), Mirco Maestri (Bardiani-CSF), Vincenzo Albanese (Bardiani-CSF), Iljo Keisse (Quick-Step), Chris Juul-Jensen (Orica-Scott), Alex Howes (Cannondale-Drapac), Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana), Lukas Postlberger (Bora) and Gregor Muhlberger (Bora).
  • ellerslierd
    Wilier and Gazprom on the punishment chase bring the gap down to 1:27 at 100km to go. About to start the Cat 2 GPM.
  • ellerslierd
    L-L Sanchez's pace has dropped the rest of the breakaway a couple of times now with Samoilau on his wheel. Those two now seem to be pressing on. The wheels falling off for the Gazprom & Wilier chase. Gap went below 1 min but now back out to 1:15.
  • ellerslierd
    Sanchez now solo. Gap to bunch now down to 57 seconds. Quickstep now on the front of the bunch
  • ellerslierd
    Visconti attacks from the bunch as they mop up dropped breakaway riders. Brian Smith calls it as a move for the stage win not a GC move for Nibali.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    (ILJOOOOOOOOOO)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    Sofa, coffee and Giro watching

Lovely
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I've done that Monte Sant'Agnelo climb. In August. I nearly died of heat exhaustion. It wasn't helped by the big statue of Pius whatsit the pope, I thought I might actually have died, or was halucinating.

The road through the centre of Manfredonia used to be really shiny marble type cobbles.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Ooo look at that lovely sea.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    I've done that Monte Sant'Agnelo climb. In August. I nearly died of heat exhaustion. It wasn't helped by the big statue of Pius whatsit the pope, I thought I might actually have died, or was halucinating.

The road through the centre of Manfredonia used to be really shiny marble type cobbles.

What. Were. You. Doing. Climbing. A. Mountain. In. Sardinia. In. Aug. You. Lunatic
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm confused - there appears to be actual racing on my TV.

Is this something from another year?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    What are Katusha up to? They can't make their mind up if they're chasing or not.
  • above_the_cows

What. Were. You. Doing. Climbing. A. Mountain. In. Sardinia. In. Aug. You. Lunatic

Looking for a bar. :lol:
  • Richmond Racer 2

Looking for a bar. :lol:

*fist bump*

In other news, why is Italy so glorious
  • blazing_saddles
    Conti v Quick Step and so far it's Conti on points.

I prefer the North, but there sure aren't many ugly bits in Italy.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Could still all come back together
  • Richmond Racer 2
    ooh excitement!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Oof! My man Landa lights it up.
  • inseine
    Moviestar and Barhain leading the peloton. Interesting
  • inseine
  • above_the_cows
    Chute
  • above_the_cows
    Izagirre takes it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    The crashing uphill club is fairly exclusive.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Did Landa pull up behind Conti and stop? Looked like a sky rider stopped
  • blazing_saddles
    Looked to put a pedal on the floor in the corner.

Well, it took a week and a day, but that was alright.
    Did Landa pull up behind Conti and stop? Looked like a sky rider stopped

Nope. Both Sky boys in the GC sheep group. :)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Got to feel a bit for Michael Woods. That's twice now where he's been the quickest from the peloton but his team haven't been able to pull back the break.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Milton50 wrote:
    Got to feel a bit for Michael Woods. That's twice now where he's been the quickest from the peloton but his team haven't been able to pull back the break.
    But would he still be the quickest if it was for the win? Maybe he's just the most bothered
    Twitter: @RichN95