Which type of towbar is best please

As above, I'm looking to buy a new car soon, and will be getting a towbar fitted.

I will have the choice of a swan neck or bolted (flanged) type. Is there a preference? I'm probably going to buy a Thule carrier.

Thanks!

Greenback

Comments

• jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    I have used roof bars but when I bought this I would never ever use anything else

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_c ... artNo=ZX88

Nice to see someone say thanks in a question rare these days to see a please or thank you usually just a question
  • Hi there Jeremy, thanks for the reply.

I can see that type of carrier bolts into the flange bolts themselves. My plan was to buy the type of carrier that clamps over the ball itself. Something like this...

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... iC0IxH%7Bv

Thanks,

Greenback
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    The benefit of the bolt-on type is that you can still tow with the carrier fitted (at the expense of an unsightly permanent shin catcher on the back of the car). I have a removable swan-neck and plan to get a carrier for it when the kids get big enough to want to take bikes away. You can get bike carriers that attach to the drawbar or a-frame of a trailer or caravan, but nose-weight needs to be carefully managed. For now I use a roof carrier.

Unless I was doing a lot of heavy-duty towing, I would always go swan-neck, and removable preferably.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Many thanks for the replies, but orry guys, I think my question must have been misleading.

I have already settled in getting a carrier that clamps onto the ball (probably a Thule). However, I'm not sure which towbar to get, to suit this type. As dad as I can tell, they are compatible with both a swan neck, and a bolted flanged type, however is one type preferred for any reason?

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bar-types-explained.html
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    All towballs will work with cycles carriers, there deifferent design in towballs is to accomadate different cars, some fixed flange towbars you can't fit to some vehicle with out cutting bumpers ect. thats when people go for swan neck type, do your research first on what car you have and what you can fit with out cutting holes in bumpers, swan neck type they work lot better with alko stabiliser kits for caravans as they need more room to work at angle but doesn't offer any benefit for cycles carrier. If you can get away with flange type will be the cheaper option, also some people don't want show there towbar so they go for removable towbar. Hope this help
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    edited April 2017
    I use a removable swan neck tow bar although in reality I don't ever remove it. I went for this option as they look tidier IMHO

I do use mine for towing both sailing dinghies (relatively light) and horse boxes (heavy, especially with a couple of nags on board) and also for bike rack duties

I use a Thule 9708 hang on type bike rack, very straightforward to fit and remove. Once tightened up properly it is very sturdy and I am happy to put 4 adult mountain bikes on it.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-hangon-4-_-970805

In answer to your original question, these bike racks will work with swan neck or flange type
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I heard removable swan neck ones are a bit dodgy for towing. My seat would need the bumper cutting for most flange towbars. If you're towing a load then i read that's the most secure option.
  • I heard removable swan neck ones are a bit dodgy for towing. My seat would need the bumper cutting for most flange towbars. If you're towing a load then i read that's the most secure option.

Have regularly towed a horse box with 2 large horses, total weight about 2.2 tonnes with my removable swan neck. Never had a problem
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It depends what sort of car you're fitting it too ...

for our cars it's removable swan neck as most of the time we're not towing or got the carrier fitted - but I'll probably fit a fixed one to the van.

The Thule carrier can't slip on the ball ...
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    When you say new car do you mean "brand new" ???

Only reason to ask is fitting a towbar is more costly than I expected.
    If you're buying new-new then you might be able to wangle it cheaper ... but if you're buying new-used it might even be worth trying to find a car with one already fitted.
  • Many thanks for the replies everyone, that clears everything up!

As I know all types fit on the car (Mitsubishi outlander) I'll go with whatever looks neatest, which will probably be a swan neck. Ive heard there's less chance of them playing with the reversing sensors on these.

The car will be just under a year old, but i will negotiate with the dealer to ensure the towbar is included in the sale.

Thanks again!
  • 22stu
    22stu Posts: 69
    Many thanks for the replies everyone, that clears everything up!

As I know all types fit on the car (Mitsubishi outlander) I'll go with whatever looks neatest, which will probably be a swan neck. Ive heard there's less chance of them playing with the reversing sensors on these.

The car will be just under a year old, but i will negotiate with the dealer to ensure the towbar is included in the sale.

Thanks again!

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the Outlander you can only fit a removable towbar due to the lower tailgate that drops down.
    I had one several years back (2009) and that was the case then
  • 22stu wrote:

Thanks again!

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the Outlander you can only fit a removable towbar due to the lower tailgate that drops down.
    Hi there 22stu, I guess they must have changed the tailgate design. My outlander is a single tailgate that lifts up.

I'm getting a flange type towbar fitter next week.
  • 22stu
    22stu Posts: 69
    22stu wrote:

Thanks again!

Hi there 22stu, I guess they must have changed the tailgate design. My outlander is a single tailgate that lifts up.

I'm getting a flange type towbar fitter next week.

Quite possibly on the latest ones, never noticed. The 2 piece tailgate was a nice feature but was a total PITA when the towbar was fitted......