Dolan Dual Audax metric munching machine

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
edited May 2018 in Your road bikes
RIght,

I've been wanting to replace my road/cyclocross bike with something lighter, less aggressive in geometry and more suited to spend 10+ hours on.
Having found a friend who is in need of a CX frameset and wheels, the deal has been done quicker than anticipated... so after much mulling over, I decided to go for the frameset that ticks all the boxes

This
dolan%201_zpsf7uzp6an.jpg

The 10 speed components will be transferred onto the new frameset, but obviously I need some brake calipers and some wheels for rim brakes, hence these were needed too

bits_zpsb67qff09.jpg

Christmas day excitement and all of that, but overall a sound project...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Always good bikes Dolans.

And why have you got a watering can on top of that dresser?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ugo.santalucia
    Always good bikes Dolans.

For that, you should ask my wife... :D
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407

Nice dresser. How about a gold K-edge Garmin mount to go with those hubs? I'm already worried that your Dual is going to look better than mine.

When you've got the brakes on, I'm interested to see whether the pads are right at the limit in the grooves to reach an optimal place on the brake tracks. Some Tiagra 4500 calipers I have were about 2 mm too short in drop. Obviously Dolan supply full builds with 5800, so I suppose there can't be a major issue, but if you can comment that would be good.

The only other issue I had is that the original headset bearings became rusty quite quickly. I have since had stainless races in from Superstar (£6 a go) and they have so far been good for 2 years.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Which hubs are they?
    Are you going to hold out for the new Open PRO rims, or what's the plan Ugo?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Which hubs are they?
    Are you going to hold out for the new Open PRO rims, or what's the plan Ugo?

Hope RS4... 24/32. no, going for DT 460, maybe Open PRO when these wear out... it won't be long... :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Alex99 wrote:

Nice dresser. How about a gold K-edge Garmin mount to go with those hubs? I'm already worried that your Dual is going to look better than mine.

When you've got the brakes on, I'm interested to see whether the pads are right at the limit in the grooves to reach an optimal place on the brake tracks. Some Tiagra 4500 calipers I have were about 2 mm too short in drop. Obviously Dolan supply full builds with 5800, so I suppose there can't be a major issue, but if you can comment that would be good.

The only other issue I had is that the original headset bearings became rusty quite quickly. I have since had stainless races in from Superstar (£6 a go) and they have so far been good for 2 years.

Terry confirmed short calipers are fine... the 5800 should be a bit longer than the 6800, seeing they are designed to take 28 mm tyres.
    The Alpina headset looks basic, but it takes 10 seconds to install, thanks to the split crown race, so I am not worried at all... if it dies I'll get a Hope one.

The hubs are orange, not gold... I quite like the basic Garmin "on the bars" mount, my 200 is very tiny
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:

Terry confirmed short calipers are fine... the 5800 should be a bit longer than the 6800, seeing they are designed to take 28 mm tyres.
    The Alpina headset looks basic, but it takes 10 seconds to install, thanks to the split crown race, so I am not worried at all... if it dies I'll get a Hope one.

The hubs are orange, not gold... I quite like the basic Garmin "on the bars" mount, my 200 is very tiny

Fair enough. The 200 is cute and looks slightly funny on an out-front mount.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    Alex99 wrote:

Could the frame take mudguards and 28 tyres?
  • ugo.santalucia
    [quote="j

Could the frame take mudguards and 28 tyres?[/quote]

Don't think so... guards and 25 yes though
  • Alex99
    [quote="j

Could the frame take mudguards and 28 tyres?

Don't think so... guards and 25 yes though[/quote]

Yeah, probably not easy. You might be lucky with the right brake and some fiddling. I'll try it and report back if I get chance.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    Thanks. Just thinking over possible frames to run full mudgaurds and 28's if i can for next winter.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Oooh.I want one.

I've a Dolan Preffisio with an Alpina Headset. Six years on and it's still fine.
  • ugo.santalucia
    jdee84 wrote:
    Thanks. Just thinking over possible frames to run full mudgaurds and 28's if i can for next winter.

Difficult with a road/Audax frame... maybe something like a Panorama or similar
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Enigma Etape will take 28c and guards. I use 25c tubeless (which come up fat) with PDWs and there's still a fair bit of clearance.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Been busy last night

wheels_zpsmgoneuur.jpg
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Been busy last night

wheels_zpsmgoneuur.jpg
    Let me now how the tubeless tyres go on :wink: This wheelset would be perfect for me (in red) 8)
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Those wheels look great, Ugo.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Looking forward to seeing this finished. I do like a tastefully done Dolan.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks guys... next week is building week!
  • Garry H
    The ultimate sportive machine!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garry H wrote:
    The ultimate Audax machine!

FIFY
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Surely putting a bicycle together is a couple of hours? Have it done before bed :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia

Surely putting a bicycle together is a couple of hours? Have it done before bed :wink:

Probably... it might take 2 hours to put the tubeless tyres on though... :lol:
  • Garry H
    Nah, done Audaxes on a cheap alloy bike. Has good hoops though :wink:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Probably... it might take 2 hours to put the tubeless tyres on though... :lol:

That's fair - I need a stiff drink after each one too! :lol: :roll: :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Backwards step going beck to rim brakes though? For an all rounder I'd want discs all day long.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Backwards step going beck to rim brakes though? For an all rounder I'd want discs all day long.

I've been on discs for 9 years and I am quite happy to go back... I am a bit frustrated about them. No regrets
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    Been busy last night

wheels_zpsmgoneuur.jpg
    Let me now how the tubeless tyres go on :wink: This wheelset would be perfect for me (in red) 8)

Fitted a pair of Maxxis Padrone 28 with the Air Shot... no problem
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... and a few hours later
    dolan%20built%202_zpstvghcaq3.jpg

dolan%20built%201_zpshwrl5dvz.jpg
  • Alex99
    Looks nice. Is that 5800 sti's with 9s rear mech? Which cassette?