A 10 mile TT time that could be hard to beat!

mikpem
mikpem Posts: 139
edited May 2017 in Amateur race
Last night I may have recorded the slowest 10 mile TT time ever!
A puncture around 2 miles from the end was followed by a long walk to the finish line.
But I recorded a time! 54.52 :)
So I jogged the last 20m or so to make sure it was under 55 and the cleats are destroyed, but has anyone ever recorded a longer 10 mile time?
I'm just glad I stayed upright as a front puncture going downhill around a corner could have gone very badly.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    tube, lever & pump ... all in a back pocket ...

in the only (so far) TT that I've had a flat I changed the tube in under 5 minutes - still wasn't last ...

Of course, doesn't help if you're on tubs ...
  • mikpem
    I had a pack on the bike with everything I'd need but took it off just before I headed to the start line :/

Stupidly I thought 'It's only 10 miles, it's not far to walk back'..... It is in road shoes, along country lanes with no verge.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    If you're on tubs you just carry on. Maybe a bit slower.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I have often wondered about this happening to me. I don't take a spare tube or anything when I'm TTing. I just assumed that someone else will see me and come back to help once their race is over... I would if I saw someone walking back to the finish line.
  • slowbike
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I have often wondered about this happening to me. I don't take a spare tube or anything when I'm TTing.

yup - lots don't carry anything - I do as a tube, pump and tyre lever isn't hard to carry and whilst my time may be shot - it means I get back before all the cakes are eaten!
    I have jumped in the car to get someone's light before and yes - I'd go and pick someone up - I just prefer to be self sufficient - within reason.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I wear a skinsuit, so no pockets - and seems pointless to go to the trouble of wearing a skinsuit, putting on TT bars, deep wheels, taking off bottle cages etc if I'm then going to have a saddle bag - just come and rescue me wont ya? :-p
  • slowbike
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I wear a skinsuit, so no pockets - and seems pointless to go to the trouble of wearing a skinsuit, putting on TT bars, deep wheels, taking off bottle cages etc if I'm then going to have a saddle bag - just come and rescue me wont ya? :-p

Tube, pump and tyre lever in a zipbag and tuck it down your back?
    Or attach it at saddle height behind you - quite frankly there's enough aero drag around your ar5e not to worry about a small sack too ... ;)
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Think I beat that over 25 miles. My chain snapped 5 mins before the start so drove home replaced chain then had a one hour late start, so finished with a time of over 2 hours.
  • mikpem
    I'm impressed you even bothered to that extent, I'd have just driven home and had a ride from there!

I think I'll be taking spares with me more often from now on, I often cycle 20 miles with nothing at all thinking it's not that far but when walking it feels like a long old trek!