Chamois butter, cheap alternatives query

gavin66
gavin66 Posts: 117
edited June 2017 in MTB general
Does anyone know if there is a cheap but effective alternative to Chamois creams. Maybe something I can buy from a chemists.
I've been using Chamois butt'r Eurostyle for about three years now but I use quite a lot of it and it's becoming an expensive addition to the cost of my mountainbiking. It is something I need though as I do seem to get sore quite easily, even with good quality pads.
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Try petroleum jelly (vaseline) - I've never tried it, but one of the chaps in the club swears by its and it's relatively cheap.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Try Nature's Kiss Chafe-Ease, if you have delicate nethers, it goes a long way as well for such a small pot.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I've had good results from products containing deer tallow, first recommended to me by a mate who made prosthetic limbs for a living and found it gave good protection from chafing at sockets.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • K13_275
    K13_275 Posts: 6
    Coconut oil is awesome , can get it in Aldi , home bargains etc for about a fiver . I don't like to use products containing animal parts and you only need a tiny amount. Even though its solid in the jar it reacts to body heat and liquifies .
  • I switched to Udderly Smooth - a lot cheaper than chamois cream and seems to work just as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For long rides (about 8 hours plus) I use Vaseline, works fine for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Sudocrem antiseptic healing cream is very good and cheap for a large tub. Back when I did alot more riding than I do now, I used it. Its good for smearing on the shammy, it even used to clear up saddle sores. The only downside I remember was the nasty ice cold feeling down below when putting your shorts on! I also tried Bepanthen babies nappie rash cream when that was to hand when the kids were babies, that worked well too.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Emulsifying ointment. Costs about £4.50 for 500g. It is a thick moisturiser made mostly with paraffin wax. Just make sure you wash your shorts well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cocoa butter works well. I used it by mistake once and it worked great. Excellent for healing tattoos as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure your bum was very tasty. Did your boyfriend approve?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Any nappy cream.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS