Does a KOM count when you drafted a lorry?

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Just wondering :twisted:
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Count for what?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are KOMS moneterised now?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I've stopped using Strava. I find that it took all the enjoyment out of cycling. Which is to get outdoors, get some exercise and enjoy your surroundings.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I find that it took all the enjoyment out of cycling

Strava is like anything in life - it can only upset you if you let it. Take it for the bit of fun that it is and all is good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Put it this way. Nobody sets a KOM into a headwind. Many KOMS will be set in bunch rides. Lap it up whilst it lasts. One caveat, some of the pros ran Strava during the Tour De Yorkshire and smashed KOMs all over the place. I know those roads and to say I was amazed by their times is an understatement!
  • meanredspider
    Shortfall wrote:
    One caveat, some of the pros ran Strava during the Tour De Yorkshire and smashed KOMs all over the place. I know those roads and to say I was amazed by their times is an understatement!

There's some Scottish racing on some of my local roads and some paired "onesy & pointy-hat" action too - I'm just happy if I can get amongst the times on some of the descents.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    I think you should apply partial credit to the lorry's profile...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Of course it counts .... it's not a UCI controlled race ... it counts if you are in a pack, on your own, drafting a lorry, having taken steroids, wearing pink ... whatever

It's an achievement for getting from a point a to a point b quicker than anyone else ... that's all .

Congrats on your KOM
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Shortfall wrote:
    Put it this way. Nobody sets a KOM into a headwind. Many KOMS will be set in bunch rides. Lap it up whilst it lasts. One caveat, some of the pros ran Strava during the Tour De Yorkshire and smashed KOMs all over the place. I know those roads and to say I was amazed by their times is an understatement!

I guess that riding in a pro peloton is something like drafting a lorry
  • meanredspider
    joe2008 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

I guess that riding in a pro peloton is something like drafting a lorry

One of my fastest ever rides was an Armstrong Twitter Ride - a few hundred people trying to get up the front to ride next to LA - and I spent a significant amount of time freewheeling with my hands covering the brakes. I've drafted trucks before (more often tractors towing hay bales) and nothing was as easy as that mass peleton.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Shortfall wrote:

One of the Yates brothers set one on a local hill round here Cote de Harwood Dale,during last years Tour de Yorkshire,cannot not get under twice his time at 3:04,but he isn't 14.5st with asthma
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Yeah it does count.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    As far as anything on strava counts yeah I think so long as the driver wasn't your mate it counts.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jollygiant
    jollygiant Posts: 117
    As long as you are on a push bike and not sat in a car behind said lorry it counts.

Strava's great for bit of competition and banter. If someone beats one of my KOM's, good luck to them I know I tried my hardest on that day and they were better on their day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    How do you think the previous people got the KOM?
    How do you think the person who takes yours will do it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Can I politely remind people that this is just a website. It's not real life.

Does it count? Yes

Does it give you any satisfaction in the knowledge your efforts where not entirely your own?

Would it be a whole lot more satisfying if you had got it without any help whatsoever?

But it's still only a program on a website. At least you're not going out and creating segments just so you are top which seems to be happening a lot near me. One guy created a segment, he was second, deleted it and remade it slightly shorter so he was top! So so shallow. Those are the ones just want to take off people just to pi ss them off royally.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    It's always nice to have bragging rights... mine is being above Kwiatkowski on a little climb near to home which he rode during the Tour of Britain. I'm guessing he will never ride the segment again so bragging rights for all time.
    However.... I keep quiet about it being in the neutral zone... don't tell anyone, :wink:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As most of them are set with a strong tailwind or in a group i tend not to worry about them. I have a handful. Two set while drafting, but a i do have one while leading a group. Most of them i have no clue where they start or finish and i dont care. If i get one great if dont which is normal great. I just dont care.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • TBH, a KOM suggests some sort of climbing uphill was involved so a flat or downhill one isn't really a 'KOM' and if it's steep enough no amount of tail wind is going to help that much.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    TBH, a KOM suggests some sort of climbing uphill was involved so a flat or downhill one isn't really a 'KOM' and if it's steep enough no amount of tail wind is going to help that much.
    Dunno. It's been windy around here recently and it was noticeably easier going up 15% with a tailwind than with a headwind.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    PBlakeney wrote:
    TBH, a KOM suggests some sort of climbing uphill was involved so a flat or downhill one isn't really a 'KOM' and if it's steep enough no amount of tail wind is going to help that much.
    Dunno. It's been windy around here recently and it was noticeably easier going up 15% with a tailwind than with a headwind.

Quite right. It's possible to be brought to a standstill in a strong headwind and uphill.

The older I get, the better I was.

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Shortfall wrote:

One of the Yates brothers set one on a local hill round here Cote de Harwood Dale,during last years Tour de Yorkshire,cannot not get under twice his time at 3:04,but he isn't 14.5st with asthma

9 stone with asthma....if Simon.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    It's not cheating (there are no rules apart from that you should be on a push bike) and it does count (if only to you, depending on which game you've gone for). Personally, I would get less of a sense of achievement by having assistance from a machine. With tail winds, I'm enjoying going fast in good conditions. If I get a KoM, it's a PB too, which is nice.
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Quite right. It's possible to be brought to a standstill in a strong headwind and uphill.

Would the hill actually not be in the way of the headwind? If it's steep enough that is! Crosswinds or tailwinds sure but if I'm on the side of a hill the wind can't be that much in my face. There's a big hill there. And anything rolling down the hill will not be as severe as been at the top exposed.
  • meanredspider
    Would the hill actually not be in the way of the headwind?

Assumes that the road goes straight up the hill - many steep climbs zig-zag up a hill in which case wind that is across the hill is a headwind.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    KOM's aren't worth jack shit without a power meter*. Enjoy your hollow victory. It's like stealing chocolate from a child. Not difficult, not clever, but it's still chocolate.

* I don't give a shit about KOMS or people who set them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does a KOM count when you're driving a lorry?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Only if you have a cyclist stick to your grill
  • Alex99
    imafatman wrote:
    KOM's aren't worth jack shoot without a power meter*. Enjoy your hollow victory. It's like stealing chocolate from a child. Not difficult, not clever, but it's still chocolate.

* I don't give a shoot about KOMS or people who set them.

I'm sure people who set KoMs don't give a jack shoot about you either. Making it pure power contest would be so dull. It would be reduced down to global max watts for 1, 2, 3, 4...etc minutes. Anyway, which power meter, calibrated by whom, and why not w/kg?
  • Alex99
    cooldad wrote:

If you can manage that whilst cycling, then yes, fair enough.