Padded MTB shorts over padded tights?

alire
alire Posts: 13
edited May 2017 in Cyclocross
I wear padded trousers/ tights for cycling and usually wear joggers on top for modesty to cover up the those guys downstairs. I've been looking for something more water resistant though since joggers get heavy when wet. Therefore, I bought a pair of padded MTB shorts from a local store. They look something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Cycling ... mtb+shorts .

My question is: is this a bad idea? To clarify, I'm not mountainbiking, I ride on road mostly and 'am' looking for speed/ efficiency when riding. Does wearing two layers of padded clothing like this cause chafing or other discomfort over long periods?

Does anyone have a better solution? What other clothing is most appropriate for my use?

I tried shorts (the football kind) but I didn't like how they felt when I pedalled and I felt since they end above my knee, they'd be bad for aerodynamics.

I'm not trying to reach extreme levels of speed or aerodynamics, I'd just rather like to know if there is an efficient and effective solution for me.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I cant imagine 2 sets of pasds being comfortable ..... if you now have padded shorts, why do you need to wear padded shorts underneath them ? .... just wear the one

if your legs are cold, buy non padded tights or legwarmers to go underneath.

A lot of companies make MTB shorts with removal padding that can be washed, I wear most of mine like this, seeing that my commute is short enough to not need padding
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just embrace the lycra and go with padded tights or padded shorts and legwarmers. You can get water shedding versions of both. Castelli Nanoflex / Sportful Norain are good examples.

As you've already found, tracksuit bottoms in the rain - no fun at all.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    alire wrote:
    I wear padded trousers/ tights for cycling and usually wear joggers on top for modesty to cover up the those guys downstairs.

Just man up and get on with it. Nobody's looking at you or cares. No need for shorts over the top.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Ron Hill Tracksters are a good option. Not lycra tight, but still close fitting. They hold very little water, so they don't get weighed down when wet (even at their wettest, they only feel damp)
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    MTB shorts over lycra are a really naff look anywhere away from a trail centre IMO. But what I am really curious about is the thought process that put this question in the Cyclocross section?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Ron Hill Tracksters are a good option. Not lycra tight, but still close fitting. They hold very little water, so they don't get weighed down when wet (even at their wettest, they only feel damp)

I had some Ron Hill Bikesters which had reflectives down both legs when I first started to get more serious about cycling. They eased me into the world of tight fitting lycra.

Now the closer fitting the better as far as cycling enjoyment is concerned. The kids think I'm some kind of gimp, which as far as I'm concerned is a big plus!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Fenix wrote:
    alire wrote:
    I wear padded trousers/ tights for cycling and usually wear joggers on top for modesty to cover up the those guys downstairs.

Just man up and get on with it. Nobody's looking at you or cares. No need for shorts over the top.
    In fairness he may be enormous and finds himself forever having to shoo away (I nearly said 'beat off' but thought better of it) the girls.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Try and look for a pair of quality shorts with a decent sized pad- if the pad is large/ thick enough near the front they should do a decent job of hiding your 'little man'.
    I've found all the DHB shorts to be OK so far- although I would probably avoid their new 'value' range.

I also have a pair of e-bay MTB shorts for modesty if I'm going to be traveling on a train or will be wandering round some far off shops- these are un-padded and I wear them over the road shorts- as others have said I think having two pads would be a bit too squirmy and you risk having too much material to chafe on.
    If you're worried about aerodynamics/ flapping at all, stick with road shorts and tights- shorts will always feel like parachutes at speed!

Good luck :)