New biker bought a used Trek Xcaliber 7 (2016) chainset issue

Rygar
Rygar Posts: 18
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Im a newbie biker (haven't biked since 20 years).

I bought a very used Trek Xcaliber 7 2016 model.

Now I took it to the bike shop the guy said it needs a new chainset as the teeth are worn. They were quoting me silly money to fix it like £200 (with a new chain), and said I best off buying a new bike. Is it hard to change ?

Which one do I need ? I found some on eBay under "Shimano C/SET Acera M3000 oct 40/30/22 9s 175 | 40 / 30 / 22 teeth" is this the correct one ?

Heres pic of my chainset.

33716827341_1f185f72a8_h.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £200?

You can get a Shimano Deore for about £50-60, easy DIY job (tools will cost a max of £25) and a chain for about £10...... And you'll have the tools for the next job!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's that shagged replace the cassette as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look at a few 'how to' videos on YouTube and Park Tools, buy a new chainset, cassette and chain, the appropriate tools and do it yourself. The whole lot shouldn't cost much more than £100 and will take you about an hour.
    Depending on what chainset you currently have you may be able to simply replace the chain rings rather than the whole chainset. (I can't see the picture you posted.)

Oh, and find another LBS that won't try and rip you off.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    They are removable. So that's an option.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rygar
    I went to Halfords and they said they could change the Chainset for me for £15 if I supplied my own.

Currently its got on it a "Shimano 175mm FC-M391" Crankset. Is it likely to have an Octolink BB ?

Im thinking of replacing it with :

Shimano Deore FC-M442 Octalink Mountain Bike Crankset 44X32X22 9 Speed 175mm

Here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... SwCQNWeb7d

Would this fit ?

Ill fit the new cassette and chain myself.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    £15 to change the chainset is a good price but it might need indexing - front and back which could add a bit to it.
    Your options will work but look around on this site for cassettes as there are good recommendations depending on the terrain you will use them on. Maybe you could, if you have not done so, consider a 1x set up with one ring in the front and 9, 10 or 11 at the back. It is a simpler option, reduces weight by an amount that I'd consider to be un noticable and immunises you from front shifter problems - which in fairness are rare in my experience. In fairness I've converted all of mine and prefer the 1x set up.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    To fit that Deore crankset you would need a bottom bracket as well.

Complete set with BB and lighter than octalink - from halfords as well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-FC-M5 ... SwyjBW3VYu
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rygar
    Hi guys.

Bit of an update! You never guess what happened.

I fitted the new cassette and new chain myself. Everything was going to smoothly.

I added a new seat, grips.. then I took it to Halfords to fit the Crank set.

They fitted it... They didnt call me. So I called them they say its been done, so I go there,
    and they cant find the bike! They had me waiting for 30 mins looking for it.

So they paid for my taxi and said thell search the next day.. come next day... they said its gone, they dont have it.

So there you have it... some one nicked it or they gave to to some one.

They said manager said I can have a like for like bike.

Ive not conversed with them yet as I was busy all day today. Might go in tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Wow ok.

Make sure you get a suitable replacement though, can you list the full spec of the bike that went missing?

That will be important when negotiating a replacement, and people on here can advise whether they are pulling a fast one or not.

If they can't match it a cash settlement might be a better option.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Geez, going to be watching this thread carefully! Make sure they don't fob you off, get what it's worth! Keep us posted.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Rygar
    Do you guys think I should aim to get one of these :

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

or

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -29er-2016

or something else ?
  • The Rookie
    The RRP of the Trek was £650, I'd use that as the benchmark to get the best bike you can.
  • Rygar
    A little update, I got £500 to spend on a new bike and went for the New 18" Voodoo Bizango.

So that's what Im riding now.

I do notice the tyres are a little slower on the roads so im thinking of changing them (maybe I should have got a road bike).
  • The Rookie
    I think you were ripped off to be honest......
  • Rygar
    Ha ha maybe.

They tried to offer me £300 at first.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Bizango is retailing at £625 and is better specc'd than the Trek so it doesn't look too bad a deal all in all. Though I'd be peeved about the new cassette, seat, grips etc which were money down the drain.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    It's that he had to pay £125 to get a bike to replace the one they gave away, in my mind should have been cash or a bike......
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'd not put that 2+2 together - I presumed the £500 offer had got him the Bizango with no cash paid. In which case, doh!!!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Rather strongly worded letter of complaint to the manager, with a promise to take it higher unless its resolved.
    They should have offered a bike of higher value than what you had. Not only did you spend money on it to improve the grips etc, but the hassle of chasing and travelling to the store should be taken into account.
    Worse case you could argue theft as your property wasn't returned to you.
  • vehlin
    vehlin Posts: 10
    I don't think he's been too hard done by to be honest. Yeah he could have screwed them for a little more money perhaps, but you can pick up a decent condition Trek X Caliber 7 on fleabay for about £300 (albeit a 2015) and OP bought a heavily used 2016. So he should have got back about what he paid for the bike, plus the extra components he bought and now has a brand new bike rather than second hand.
  • I agree, but at the same time that's not the point.
    To take something to a store and not only not get the work done, or done well is bad enough but to then be told your property has gone missing is quite frankly unacceptable.
    Plus you would think a brand like Halfords wouldn't want to get a bad reputation for stuff like this, its not the first time its happened.
  • Rygar
    Yeah your correct I paid £125 for the brand new Voodoo Bizango.

Its not a bad bike, the tyres are much slower than what I had.

But its very comfy compared to the Trek. Event though I had a 17.5 /18.5 Trek, its seemed bigger. I tried the 20" Voodoo and it seemed smaller than the Trek.
  • So you have given an item to a 'workshop' in good faith that they would fit what you had paid them to do. Then through no fault of your own you have had to replace said item due to the workshop misplacing or disposing of the item, with a more expensive item, incurring the additional cost, to replace something they should have returned to you with the paid for work completed.
    Sorry, but by now (well, at the time) I would be spitting feathers. At the very least the £125 should be refunded.
  • Rygar
    HI guys.. Update !

I found my stolen bike again !!

Story as follows..

I went into town and I saw it on the high street. I didnt know who put it there but it was locked to a bin.

So I phoned the police, they said wait by the bike someone will be there... come 30mins.. no police and no culprit.

I get impatient.. phone again and they say if the culprit arrives phone again, as im in town center they have the CCTV guy watching me. OK I said.. I decide to pop in a store and buy 2 of my own locks and lock it. Now its triple locked.

So I go home and come back 45 mins later.. what do I see.. two guys and one guy confused at how "his" bike is locked. I confront him, he cant speak English and is a little drunk. They don't put up a fight so he pretty much gives me his key and I unlock it and take his lock off. He walks away.

Then, as I attempt to undo my locks I put the wrong key in it (don't know which key belongs to which lock yet) and it instantly breaks in the lock. I try to use pliers but it only pushes it in further. I go home looking for tools to try and get it off but cant find anything suitable. Find a hack saw and go to try it out.

Well as im going back to the bike, I find some firemen and talk to them and tell them the story. They said theyll help after I give them ID and proof of ownership + crime reference number.

When I get the info, they try to break the lock.. they try various tools.. most fail lock isnt scratched and is just taunting us.

They get the heavy jaws of life out and finally break it and take it to their local fire station (dont ask thats another story).

BTW: I left out the guy being arrested by the police but he wasn't the thief, he bought the bike.

I also filmed some of it and the fire brigade failing on the lock lol
  • cooldad
    Have you given it to Halfords?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rygar
    They didnt want it. They know I have it spoke to the manager.
  • The Rookie
    Win win!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Sounds like the bikes new 'owner' had an idea it was hot when he bought it and so didn't put up much of an argument.

How it happened to get stolen from Halfords though, who knows, if I was the store manager I would be very interested in how it went missing in the first place and I'd be stepping up my stock control! Sounds like one of the staff must have had something to do with it unless they are in the habit of leaving customers bikes outside in the open.
  • Rygar
    I know how it happened now. Some guy walked out of the shop with it (after the work was done it), all caught on CCTV.