Lightweight rack

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2017 in Commuting chat
Hiya

Might need to add a bag to my winter bike, for extended commute (cunning plan in development)

Any recommendations? Would be for small pannier to hold a few clothes, laptop, etc

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Ive got the bontrager one that attaches via the brake bridge and QR skewer
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Don't do it. Get a Carradice instead!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • I have a Tortec Velocity which I've paired with an Upso bag (made by Carradice). Holds everything I need (laptop, shoes, change of clothes). The rack was about £20 from Cycle Republic which felt like a bargain.

I'm guessing it keeps the weight a bit lower and therefore has less effect on the centre of gravity than a large (Carradice) seat pack, although I'm often quite tempted to buy one just to see if I'm correct.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Looking at the title, I wondered if this was Commuting Chat's answer to Bottom Bracket's "Big Girls" thread :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've got one of these:

alt_urban_dryline_bc_17pan.jpg

lying around not being used as I ended up preferring a backpack, but it's bloody good and has a liner for complete dry protection - this is the 17" version. The nice thing is that its shape lends itself well to keeping clothes less creased.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Looking at the title, I wondered if this was Commuting Chat's answer to Bottom Bracket's "Big Girls" thread :wink:

thank you, I knew I liked you for a reason 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

:lol: :oops: Fnarr

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm guessing it keeps the weight a bit lower and therefore has less effect on the centre of gravity than a large (Carradice) seat pack, although I'm often quite tempted to buy one just to see if I'm correct.
    I have both (on different bikes) and with normal commuting loads the difference is negligible. The weight of your bag is only a few % of the total bike/rider weight, and you're only moving it up a foot or so; I reckon it shifts the overall centre of mass about a centimetre.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Hi,

I have a perfect suggestion for you. Around 3 months ago, I purchased a backpack online which is called Iamrunbox. It has a hard shell and it keeps your clothes completely crease free. It is great for run-commuting and cycle-commuting. They also have garment carriers, one of my colleagues purchased that one on Amazon.

Here are the links,

https://iamrunbox.com/en/backpack/3-bac ... lor-orange

https://iamrunbox.com/en/garment-carrie ... lor-orange