Turning my Commuter into MTB

SenseiSmash
SenseiSmash Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in MTB general
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to MTB. I live in Charlotte NC and my wife and I just started MTB at the National White Water Center out here, they have free rentals which is nice but they are always pretty beat up and need tuning etc so I was looking at getting my own bike, the issue is that I just want something that can make it through the trails reliably without spending much. I have come across a mint Gary Fisher Artemis for next to nothing $20.00 ( Here is a link to the bike) http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... el=Artemis
Every thing I'm reading says this is primarily a commuter bike, I would like to change out the forks on it with a suspension fork, I would love some feedback on what brand or style fork to get for it. Again I don't need anything high end yet as I'm just getting into it but I would like something that would take some of the rocks and stumps and make them more manageable than the stiff fork that it comes with,. I will be replacing the pedals with something a little more aggressive as well. Do you guys recommend doing anything else to the bike right from the start or is this a good start to get it out on the trails?

Thank you so much for any feedback you may have.

Adam

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There is a saying, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

You'd be wasting time and effort doing anything to that bike, I'd just get a budget and find something more fit for purpose with a decent frame.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    For 20 bucks you could ride it till it (or you) breaks. Meanwhile, save up for something more appropriate.
    As already said, it won't make sense spending anything more on it.
    Look up what the rental bikes are and look for something similar, maybe?

A cheap bike can be good to get you going. It could give you time to work out what type and budget bike you want next (if at all). Bear in mind though, a cheap crappy bike can just as easily put you off too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Measure the axle to crown length of the fork. If it's long enough it might be ok to change to a suspension fork. It's very likely that in 2008 GF was using corrected forks.

You can pretty much use the following measurments safely:

390mm rigid AtoC - Non suspension corrected
    400mm rigid AtoC - Borderline suspension corrected
    410mm rigid AtoC - Suspension corrected for a 63-75mm'ish suspension fork with a 440mm AtoC
    420mm rigid AtoC - Suspension corrected for an 80mm fork with a 460mm'ish AtoC
    440mm rigid AtoC - Suspension corrected for an 100mm fork with a 470mm'ish AtoC

Assuming it's OK, you need to work out whether the steerer is 1 inch or 1 and 1/8th inch. Can't tell from the specs. At least it is unthreaded which makes it easier.

Then find a second hand fork with the right A to C length, steerer diameter and length, and decide from there depending on cost.

Or just ride it into the ground. My GF rides an old rigid Marin across ploughed fields with maniacal laughter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • This is great help everyone. Thank you very much!