Sao Martinho do Porto

Riding High
Riding High Posts: 21
edited May 2017 in Tour & expedition
Heading off for 2 weeks to Sao Martinho do Porto (100km north of Lisbon) in the summer and am planning on riding when there whilst my family catch some sun. I have cycled abroad on holidays in the past in France, Italy and Portugal so am used to the whole experience and no stranger to big hills etc. Typical daily rides would be around 30 - 60 miles if that helps.

I have been looking online and used the search function on the forum to see if anyone has recommended hilly routes in that area that would be recommended? It is a road bike that I will be on so no off road stuff and any info or experiences would be much appreciated. It looks like the Parque natural das serras de aire e candeeiros has good potential?? Anyone ever cycled this area?

Thanks in advance.........

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I haven't cycled in the area, but we were on holiday a bit further north a few years ago, and drove up into the Parque Natural a few times to visit caves and picnics etc, and at the time I thought it would be nice to have a bike with me. Very quiet roads, and some decent climbs.

Alcobaca is definitely worth a visit, a quiet town with a few nice restaurants, cafes etc and the monastery is a great visit. Would be a good place to stop for a bite and a drink after busting a gut in the hills :)

I wouldn't be in a rush to go to Nazaire, just up the coast, it's a bit Skegness.
  • Riding High
    Riding High Posts: 21
    Thanks for the reply and will add Alcobaca to the sightseeing list.

Also looking at driving up to the Serra da Estrela Natural Park one day with the bike to do some harder climbs so again if anyone can recommend a route and/or some of the harder climbs it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....