Emergency Meeting at Buckingham Palace Today.

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Speculation amongst Buckingham Palace staff was rampant last night as the Queen’s most senior aides called her entire household to an emergency meeting today.

Servants from royal residences across the country have been ordered to London and will be addressed this morning by the Lord Chamberlain, the most senior officer of the Royal Household, as well as Her Majesty’s right-hand man, Private Secretary Sir Christopher Geidt.

Even her longest serving staff were left in the dark about why the meeting was being called but multiple sources said it was ‘highly unusual’ and had sparked fevered talk about an imminent announcement concerning the monarch or her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Maybe Betty has had enough of May's shenanigans and is invoking royal prerogative to Take Back Control?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    All will be revealed in just over 30mins at 0800, apparently. Keep your diary free, this might be a truly historic moment!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Don't tell me he's failed with his application for his right to stay in the UK
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Slowmart wrote:
    Don't tell me he's failed with his application for his right to stay in the UK

:D
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    FocusZing wrote:
    Speculation amongst Buckingham Palace staff was rampant last night as the Queen’s most senior aides called her entire household to an emergency meeting today.

Servants from royal residences across the country have been ordered to London and will be addressed this morning by the Lord Chamberlain, the most senior officer of the Royal Household, as well as Her Majesty’s right-hand man, Private Secretary Sir Christopher Geidt.

Even her longest serving staff were left in the dark about why the meeting was being called but multiple sources said it was ‘highly unusual’ and had sparked fevered talk about an imminent announcement concerning the monarch or her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Maybe they will announce that they have realised it is the 21st century and sentences like the one above are ludicrous so have decided to abolish themselves
  • FocusZing
    "There is no cause for alarm about the welfare of Queen Elizabeth or her husband Prince Philip after all senior royal staff were summoned to a meeting at Buckingham Palace, a well-placed source told Reuters on Thursday.

The Daily Mail newspaper had earlier reported that senior aides from across the country had been called to Buckingham Palace for an emergency meeting, leading to wide speculation on social media about the health of the royals.

"There's no cause for alarm," the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.

The queen, the world's longest-reigning living monarch celebrated her 91st birthday last month, while Philip turns 96 next month."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKBN1800HB

""A BBC report suggested the meeting was not about the health of the Queen or Duke of Edinburgh.

Buckingham Palace said such all-staff meetings did occur occasionally.
    “Although meetings involving the entire royal household are occasionally called, the way this has been done at the eleventh hour is highly unusual and suggests that there is something major to be disseminated.

“But at the moment, only those closest to her genuinely know what on earth this is all about.”"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 16746.html
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The Russians had the right idea.
  • FocusZing
    Stepping Down?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The Russians had the right idea.

Nice. So you're suggesting that the Royal family should all be gathered in a basement and executed? And have them replaced by a Stalin type despot?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • fat daddy

yeah ... that worked out well for them didn't it
  • surrey_commuter
    Mr Goo wrote:

Nice. So you're suggesting that the Royal family should all be gathered in a basement and executed? And have them replaced by a Stalin type despot?

throwing them into the street would be enough.

The basement and bullets should be saved for people who needlessly change the titles of long running threads :shock:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Parliament is dissolved. Perfect time to impose absloure monarchy. The alternative is inviting May (or outside chance Corbyn) to form a government. "Not in my name" says Liz.

Also a way of avoiding dinner with Trump.

Expect staff to emerge from meeting heavily armed and ready to roll.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Phil's bunking off then.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    That's a bit of an anticlimax.

I wonder if we'll notice the difference?

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Capt Slog wrote:
    That's a bit of an anticlimax.

The internet age is made for anti-climaxes
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    To be fair, he's just setting the bar for post brexit retirement age.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • surrey_commuter

I see it as an experiment to see how long somebody lasts when living a life of stress free indolence whilst accessing the very best medical care.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237

Where is the like button?
    left the forum March 2023
  • FocusZing
    One can only apologise for the anticlimax. I feel like the UK entrant at the next Eurovision song contest.
  • Mr Goo wrote:

The execution bit, yeah. The despot, not so much.
  • fat daddy
    oh it wasn't an anti climax .. I feel it was very important to highlight the urgency that everyone be made aware that Phillip will no longer do stuff in the autumn
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639

Nah, the French had a better one. Turn it into a public spectacle, sell tickets, and Pay Per View on Sky.

So, he's retiring from doing feck all then?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Garry H wrote:

Nah, the French had a better one. Turn it into a public spectacle, sell tickets, and Pay Per View on Sky.

Exactly. Has done sweet feck all his entire life, bar sire another generation of pampered slackers, going on lots of holidays and shooting the odd bit of wildlife.
    What a struggle it must have been.

Btw. I don't like the Royals but don't advocate their execution but would rather see them working the tills at Tesco or B&Q.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Exactly. Has done sweet feck all his entire life, bar sire another generation of pampered slackers, going on lots of holidays and shooting the odd bit of wildlife.
    What a struggle it must have been.

Btw. I don't like the Royals but don't advocate their execution but would rather see them working the tills at Tesco or B&Q.
    He's doing a damn sight more work than I plan on doing at 96.
    Or 86, or 76, or even 66.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

I see it as an experiment to see how long somebody lasts when living a life of stress free indolence whilst accessing the very best medical care.
    spot on, shouldn't headline be:
    Residents of britains largest council house who rely on private health care to live a long and privileged lifestyle finally decide to stop unveiling plaques for a living
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • FocusZing
    Hold up wait a minute! Don't forget the Royals attract a vast amount of money to this country through tourism. Personally I think the Queen has done a brilliant job (figure head, but stays out of politics), she pulled her sleeves up during WWII as well.
  • bianchimoon
    Palace marketing i'm afraid.. How many tourists get to actually see the 'royals' they come to see buildings/soldiers in funny hats, castles, peter rabbit etc. Other countries without a constitutional monarchy have as much/more tourist visits
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • fat daddy
    I think its an excellent use of money ....... I pay 65p a year for the royal family .... and that gives my 5year old daughter endless amounts of fun knowing that there are real princesses and queens and horses with gold bits on them and carriages and guards etc etc etc.

aint much else you can buy for 65p that gives this much excitement for so long .... well there is a packet of haribo minion sweets, but that doesn't last as long
  • bianchimoon
    fat daddy wrote:
    I think its an excellent use of money ....... I pay 65p a year for the royal family .... and that gives my 5year old daughter endless amounts of fun knowing that there are real princesses and queens and horses with gold bits on them and carriages and guards etc etc etc.

aint much else you can buy for 65p that gives this much excitement for so long .... well there is a packet of haribo minion sweets, but that doesn't last as long
    there by lies the problem, they give me no excitement/pleasure and am ideologically opposed to being a subject, but i still have to pay the .65p