Navigation directions App

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knew of an App that can bark out directions in a phone app via headphones while cycling that doesn't involve monthly subscription (sat navs etc)?

It's a lot of fun to plot out a route down interesting little lanes etc, but when it comes to following them on a training ride, a pain in the butt having to keep checking where one's going.

Cheers for tips

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Google maps? ETA - I don't know how easy it it is to choose a specific route.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bukowski_jr
    bukowski_jr Posts: 15
    Google maps is good if you don't care which route you use, ie fastest a to b. However I usually cycle a loop so i can get back to the car/train.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    have done this with google maps and it works just fine.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone knew of an App that can bark out directions in a phone app via headphones while cycling that doesn't involve monthly subscription (sat navs etc)?

It's a lot of fun to plot out a route down interesting little lanes etc, but when it comes to following them on a training ride, a pain in the butt having to keep checking where one's going.

Cheers for tips

Not an app but my Garmin Touring Plus does turn by turn directions. Comes pre loaded with maps for the whole of Europe which are periodically updated. Utterly reliable when following a course. I usually have it displaying HR, speed and distance, but when approaching a junction it beeps and switches to the map, then zooms in to show clearly which way to go. Once past the turn it reverts to the former display.

Don't ask it to plan you a route unless you scrutinise it's suggestion very closely though...
  • bukowski_jr
    cgfw201 wrote:
    have done this with google maps and it works just fine.

Any chance of more information on this? I've found it impossible to put a loop in and get directions for it
  • bukowski_jr
    keef66 wrote:
    Hi

Cheers for tips

Not an app but my Garmin Touring Plus does turn by turn directions. Comes pre loaded with maps for the whole of Europe which are periodically updated. Utterly reliable when following a course. I usually have it displaying HR, speed and distance, but when approaching a junction it beeps and switches to the map, then zooms in to show clearly which way to go. Once past the turn it reverts to the former display.

Don't ask it to plan you a route unless you scrutinise it's suggestion very closely though...

I looked into the Garmin, and every other reviewer says the app isn't reliable for turn by turn directions :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I looked into the Garmin, and every other reviewer says the app isn't reliable for turn by turn directions :(

If I plan a route on the pc and upload it to the Garmin, the turn by turn directions are faultless. It's a bit less certain if you ask the device to suggest a route
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    To echo keef - I have a Garmin 800 and it's excellent at turn by turn. However if you don't want to invest, you may be able to do what you want with the 'maps.me' app. It's worth downloading anyway (it's free) and the sat nav works pretty well and includes voice direction. Can you download courses? maybe as a KML file converted from a GPX file: https://support.maps.me/hc/en-us/articl ... n-MAPS-ME-
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • bukowski_jr
    Thanks for tips, but i don't really want to invest in a GPS computer at the moment.

Maps.Me doesn't do turn by turn unfortunately with voice

I have, however, solved the problem...ish

Locus Maps App does give turn by turn directions based on a kmz/l personalised route.

I tested it today on a 50 mile route around Surrey. I rode with earbuds plugged into the mobile phone in my back jersey pocket. In the urban environment it was good. However, out in the countryside it was a trickier story. It would tell me to 'bear right' or 'bear left', but this could be a bend in the road or a right turn on a roundabout. Sometimes it would say turn left, which was nice. If you take a wrong turn it gives a a dreaded single beep.

I think having the phone mounted on the handlebar will make the two work better.