Car boot rack security?

Uber_Pod
Uber_Pod Posts: 110
edited May 2017 in MTB general
Ok, next task is to work out how to get two bikes to somewhere we can ride them.

Looking at something like a Saris Bones 2 to fit on the back of the hatchback (other suggestions more than welcome).

The actual transporting part google seems to pretty much cover.
What I'm not sure about is what you do when you get there and not riding the bike?
Say, stopping for a break, food, etc and presumably out of sight of the car/bikes.

Edit: thinking of both keeping the bikes themselves from disappearing and also bits on them like quick release wheels.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wrap loads of chains around them, or put them inside, as it's a hatchback.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The Kryptonite long plastic covered cables are a good option for weaving loads of them around the various bits of the bike you're concerned about disappearing, and the attaching to a fixed part of the car's undercarriage with a D-lock or your preferred security option.

If you can't (or can't be bothered!) getting them into the car itself, that works as a deterrent. Also parking up with the back of the car next to a wall so getting at them is difficult or well disguised helps.

Having said that, we've left bikes on the roof overnight on holiday stop-overs and just had to "suck up" the risk of a well equipped thief walking away with them.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)