secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Cream tea: jam or cream first?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Jam on one half of the scone - Cream on the other. Everyone wins.

If its not to your liking - simply turn the scone over. Or give it to me you ungrateful oik.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    How can you spread jam on cream? Spread jam onto the butter then cream dolloped on top. Logical and correct IMHO. P.S. I don't actually like cream so it's butter and jam only for me. I'm a philistine I know but it's still jam then cream.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Cream first
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    It's clearly obvious. If there is butter available, then it goes butter, then jam, then clotted cream. If there is no butter supplied, then the cream substitutes for the butter, and it goes clotted cream then jam.

On the clear assumption that no one is foolish enough to either have jam directly on a scone or clotted cream directly on butter.

And whoever said one on each half - that way you only get half as much clotted cream.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Interesting. An online mass debate on whether cream should go on a scone first. What next a mass debate on the Australian biscuit game?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    How about a debate on whether jaffa cakes are cakes or biscuits!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Jam then cream with a nice cup of tea, no sugar...Posturing and Pontification...Then wack a nice big fat expenses claim off to the EU account department, smashing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    That's been settled in court.

Goo, you're as much of a mass debater as the rest of us. What's your opinion?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

Biscuit - goes soft when stale.

Cake - goes hard when stale.

Jaffa cake goes hard went stale, ergo it's a cake.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914

Biscuit - goes soft when stale.

Cake - goes hard when stale.

Jaffa cake goes hard went stale, ergo it's a cake.
    Correct. It's called a Jaffa Cake for a reason. If it was a biscuit, it would be called a Jaffa Biscuit.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Cream on scone. Jam as sweet desert. Yes, I'm weird.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Clotted cream first, then jam. And it goes on a scone that rhymes with stone, not a scon with a redundant e.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I find it best to get as much butter cream & jam on in any order, before the rest of the family have their share.

I really don't get why such a trivial and pointless argument is raised so often. It still tastes of jam cream & butter whichever way it goes in. A much more valid debate is the one between the wise sensible educated types who correctly pronounce scone to rhyme with cone [s + cone = scone, see?], or the blithering straw-sucking dimwits who rhyme it with gone. Morons, eh? every one of em.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I go clotted cream, then jam, then more clotted cream on top.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Its consistency related. The lowest viscosity composition goes last. That's usually the jam, but not always.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    mrfpb wrote:
    Clotted cream first, then jam. And it goes on a scone that rhymes with stone, not a scon with a redundant e.

Down here in the Sarf the 'e' is unemployed.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    It's "scone"... to sound like "gone"

Not to sound like "stone"

That's the end of that, before it gets ugly.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Clotted cream first then jam. You don't spread the jam either but dollop. From an asthetic point of view, what would be the point of hiding the jam under the cream? White with a smaller amount of red on top looks much nicer.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Qube wrote:
    That's why it's the fastest cake in the world.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277

Who cares when there is a cream tea on offer.

As to the original question, cream first and only clotted cream will do.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • davesnothere
    Jaffa cakes are rank
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Jaffa cakes are rank

Try the dark choccy ones from M&S, they are lovely with a black coffee. I agree the McVities JCs are rank.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • davesnothere
    bbrap wrote:
    the dark choccy ones from M&S are rank.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    CiB wrote:
    I find it best to get as much butter cream & jam on in any order, before the rest of the family have their share.

I really don't get why such a trivial and pointless argument is raised so often. It still tastes of jam cream & butter whichever way it goes in. A much more valid debate is the one between the wise sensible educated types who correctly pronounce scone to rhyme with cone [s + cone = scone, see?], or the blithering straw-sucking dimwits who rhyme it with gone. Morons, eh? every one of em.

Every last "woan" of them.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Qube wrote:

Not to sound like "stone"

That's the end of that, before it gets ugly.

There's a new cafe opened up in there here parts (Newcastle) called Dog and Scone.....because it allows dogs. It's supposed to be a play on dog and bone, but Scone is pronounced like gone up here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    seanoconn wrote:
    Qube wrote:
    That's why it's the fastest cake in the world.
    Exactly. Case closed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Clotted cream then more clotted cream. The jam just detracts from the cream so leave it off altogether.

The Jaffa cake question has been determined once and for all in the High Court so I don't know why people keep asking it (and was surprised the BBC were unaware and included Jaffa cakes in the World Cup of biscuits on Comic Relief - they also had chocolate fingers though WTF?).