Advice on getting into Crit racing

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited September 2018 in Amateur race
Hi All,

I've been cycling social for about 5 years; I'd say I'm a pretty decent rider and like to push myself with the faster riders in our club/groups.

I've decided to have a go at crit racing; so was wondering if anyone can give me a 'dummies guide' to getting into racing and what I need to do? I don't have a BC membership etc and would appreciate on how I can find local (Yorkshire) Cat 5/4 crit races!

Thanks all!

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    SR7492 wrote:
    Hi All,

I've been cycling social for about 5 years; I'd say I'm a pretty decent rider and like to push myself with the faster riders in our club/groups.

I've decided to have a go at crit racing; so was wondering if anyone can give me a 'dummies guide' to getting into racing and what I need to do? I don't have a BC membership etc and would appreciate on how I can find local (Yorkshire) Cat 5/4 crit races!

Thanks all!

You'll start at cat 4 (there is no cat 5). All you need is a road bike, a BC race license, and a few quid to enter a race. Turn up, sign on, put number on your back and do it. If you're riding in a club, are there any riders with race experience you can talk to? If not, consider joining another club that does (you can be a member of more than one club). Apart from that there is some guidance from British Cycling if you search e.g. Racesmart. Can't comment on the local scene in Yorkshire.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't race what you can't afford to replace.

Joining a club would be the first thing to do really - there will be racers there that could tell you if you're up to it - physically and bike handling-ey...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fenix wrote:
    Don't race what you can't afford to replace.

The start lines would be empty if everyone took that advice.
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Daddy0 wrote:

Awesome -thanks!

Appreciate the commments guys :D
  • How did it go??
  • imposter2.0
    cliobritt wrote:
    How did it go??

You know this post is over a year old?
  • Imposter wrote:
    cliobritt wrote:
    How did it go??

Perhaps a good time to ask how he got on then?
  • imposter2.0
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cliobritt wrote:
    How did it go??

Perhaps a good time to ask how he got on then?

He's probably forgotten by now...
  • Imposter wrote:
    cliobritt wrote:
    How did it go??

Yes.