Joshua vs Klitschko

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,397
    I don't rate Fury very much... he has serious mental issues and ultimately he will always struggle with form... totally unreliable and probably not worth bothering... who wants an all UK fight apart from UK fans (which is a small market)?

There is/was an American guy that looks like a block of granite... what's his name?
    Mental instability yes but has never showed a lack of form to date.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    I tend to agree - Had Klitschko been 30 he'd have enough gas in the tank to finish Joshua off.

Joshua was properly pooped from the end of the 5th-9th.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    Garry H wrote:
    Says it all that you couldn't even recall the guy's name...

I just remembered he had an impressive record and had held a belt at some point... on paper he is the obvious choice for a top fight...

Fury is a risk, he might not be able to get his act together in time... not sure who'd want to invest big dollar on the chance he does
    left the forum March 2023
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I don't rate Fury very much... he has serious mental issues and ultimately he will always struggle with form... totally unreliable and probably not worth bothering... who wants an all UK fight apart from UK fans (which is a small market)?

There is/was an American guy that looks like a block of granite... what's his name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFP-R_LYSM

Totally different skill level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRzs0jOBBYE
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There's a few interesting comments here

- "Joshua not good at range", well he outscored Klitschko from range (rounds 1-3 and 9-11) and managed him very, very well as they both recovered through the 7 and 8 rounds.

- "Had Klitschko been 30 then he'd have finished him off" - we'll never know, it's all speculation. It's also very likely that the 30 year old Klitschko wouldn't have got up in the 5th round because he'd have walked onto that shot more than he did with the experience of a 41 year old (have a look at his earlier fights!).

- "Joshua was properly pooped from 5th - 9th", yes he was and yet he still managed the fight really well, including after the knockdown. Klitschko has said he should have done more but the fact is that he couldn't because he was knackered during those rounds as well and Joshua held him at bay.

It made us all laugh (around us in the stadium) when we read the BBC feed and saw that all the commentators had Klitschko up and that "he knew he needed a knockdown to win this fight". Even the most ill-informed could see that Joshua easily took the first three rounds, if not four. The fifth could be split although Joshua had the knockdown he was hanging on at the end. The sixth was Klitschko's as was the seventh and possibly the eighth. The 9th, 10th and 11th were all AJ's as he was the only one getting the jab connected and, barring two ordinary right ends at the end of the 9th from Klitschko that slid through, Wlad offered nothing.

Incredible atmosphere - despite the usual morons booing Wlad's national atmosphere - and rewarded by an unbelievable fight.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    I had Joshua down 3-1 heading into the 5th.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    If your a promoter, do you risk a "superfight" with Fury.

Dropped out of the Klitchko re-match due to drug violation and there's rumours going around that Hughie pulled out of his last fight for similar issues. Although he has disputed that - as Tyson did.

Think Tyson needs to show he can get in shape and fight before being trusted to show up for Joshua.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731

It made us all laugh (around us in the stadium) when we read the BBC feed and saw that all the commentators had Klitschko up and that "he knew he needed a knockdown to win this fight". Even the most ill-informed could see that Joshua easily took the first three rounds, if not four. The fifth could be split although Joshua had the knockdown he was hanging on at the end. The sixth was Klitschko's as was the seventh and possibly the eighth. The 9th, 10th and 11th were all AJ's as he was the only one getting the jab connected and, barring two ordinary right ends at the end of the 9th from Klitschko that slid through, Wlad offered nothing.

Incredible atmosphere - despite the usual morons booing Wlad's national atmosphere - and rewarded by an unbelievable fight.

I listened to it but all the BBC pundits had VK ahead coming into the 11th including Richie Woodhall so there does seem to be a real split on how people scored it including amongst the judges. Hard to call all these people ill informed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Most of those pundits are the same that threw out the usual "he's got no chin", "he can't recover", "he can't go past the 7th round" stuff and therefore a lot of their comments are desperately self-fulfilling. In much the same way as Rick scored those first four rounds to Klitschko because common belief - spurred by media - is that he's the better boxer and works better with the jab. In reality he connected with very little in those first four rounds - only one right hand which he was keen to get offloaded early in every round before Joshua had established his guard.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Well I've got to admit you and a few others I know were in line with the majority of the judges. I'll have to watch it myself. Interesting though how experienced knowledgeable - or at least experienced - observers can differ so much on the same fight. A few mates on facebook were like you, amazed one judge had AJ behind.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]